• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '16-17 NBA Thread: not with a bang but a whimper

when was the last time the MVP wasn't on a top 2 or 3 team in their conference? seems like a requisite for MVP is to be on an elite team, gonna be tough for westbrook or harden regardless of stats.

also, this lebron pass was stupid.

I just did a quick glance back to 1980 and every MVP was on a top 3 team, usually even better than that.

when was the last time the MVP wasn't on a top 2 or 3 team in their conference? seems like a requisite for MVP is to be on an elite team, gonna be tough for westbrook or harden regardless of stats.

also, this lebron pass was stupid.

Classic #SpursDonk taek, but he got that from Manu.

the pass would have been crazy enough just to execute if dunleavy was just standing in the corner open and waiting. but he did it while dunleavy was cutting to the corner and it was on the money. ridiculous.

I just did a quick glance back to 1980 and every MVP was on a top 3 team, usually even better than that.

Moses Malone's second MVP (1982) was with the 6th place Houston Rockets.

Jordan and Nash each won one with third place teams.

The Rockets were only two games out of second in the west in 1982 which I'm sure helped Malone.

Russ is the only guy with a shot at bucking that trend.

i would agree that if westbrook keeps up this pace that it will push the voters to the limit of this thinking, but there will always be a compelling choice on a great team like kawhi or lebron or cp3 or blake if the clippers have a top 3 team.

Moses Malone's second MVP (1982) was with the 6th place Houston Rockets.

Jordan and Nash each won one with third place teams.

The Rockets were only two games out of second in the west in 1982 which I'm sure helped Malone.

cool, i was just looking at the teams and missed that. so last time it happened was 34 years ago and they were still very close to a great team.

cool, i was just looking at the teams and missed that. so last time it happened was 34 years ago and they were still very close to a great team.

Exactly. Russ needs the west to be clustered and Steph to steal votes from KD (I'm assuming the dubs figure it out quicker than the Heat did and win the west handily in this scenario).

If Kawhi (or less likely Blake) make a mini-leap and lead their teams to a clear top 2 finish then It's going to be tough for Russ, even if he averages a triple double, if his team barely makes the playoffs.

Plus 30 ppg.

Oscar Robertson did both. He had season that he averaged triple double and a five year period where he averaged a triple double. For his first five years in the NBA, Oscar averaged 30.3ppg, 10.4 rpg and 10.6 apg.

The NBA existed before 1980.

I have no idea how that happened and corrected it immediately.

Oscar Robertson did both. He had season that he averaged triple double and a five year period where he averaged a triple double. For his first five years in the NBA, Oscar averaged 30.3ppg, 10.4 rpg and 10.6 apg.

The NBA existed before 1980.

If you have to go to Oscar Robertson for your comparison, then it is safe to say that BESTBROOK should be in the running if he maintains that level of production.

I wasn't commenting on MVP, but if he does average 30/10/10, it would be really hard for him not to win. It would be interesting to see the vote if Russ goes 30/10/10 and Lebron does 27/8/8 and has the best record in the East. That would be a close call.

Back