• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '16-17 NBA Thread: not with a bang but a whimper

They have to dump at least one of Beverly/Lou/Gordon/Ariza but a few of em are on good/easy enough contracts to easily move.
Lol I've been saying it for a while also look for Melo to try to move to the West.

The Heat were a super team. I'd say it was more of a super team than the Warriors in that they brought in two big time free agents to turn the Heat into contenders. The Warriors drafted into having a great team then added a great player.

The Heat were a super team. I'd say it was more of a super team than the Warriors in that they brought in two big time free agents to turn the Heat into contenders. The Warriors drafted into having a great team then added a great player.

Lol

Also Lebron didn't start superteams. There have always been superteams

I think of super teams as free agents who get together like the Heat or like the Barkley Rockets. I don't think of drafted great teams as super teams.

i would say it depends what your definition of super team is.

are you a super team if you draft and develop a few great players and add complimentary pieces around them? i'm thinking teams like last years warriors, 14-15 spurs, original okc would have been but did not hit their prime together.

do you combine draft success with buying a few stars in their prime? current warriors, boston title team, those heat teams. last years cleveland is debatable.

i would say several players coming together specifically to win a title largely in a new city (boston and heat) is closer to what i think of a super team. i'm not comparing how good they are compared to the others. thinking more intent.

adding durant to gs with the combination of draft, develop, and financial situation (friendly contracts, a little luck with timing, huge jump in cap) can certainly be called a super team but i consider it a different situation. having said that durant absolutely made the same move as the miami and heat guys coming together.

I think of this newish term of Superteam being when the top players make the decision to play together as opposed to teams becoming great through drafting/trades/GM moves

That's not really new though. It's not like Mailman and the Glove just showed up at Staples and Shaq and Kobe were like "Wow!"

That's not really new though. It's not like Mailman and the Glove just showed up at Staples and Shaq and Kobe were like "Wow!"

Those guys were in the twilight their career though. Different than dudes in or near their prime getting together, imo.

KG Celtics are the proto-modern super team.

I think of super teams as free agents who get together like the Heat or like the Barkley Rockets. I don't think of drafted great teams as super teams.

Barkley was traded to Houston in 1996, while Pippen was traded to Houston in 1998/99. Neither were signed through Free Agency. Barkley did re-negotiate his deal in order to make room for Pippen, however.

I guess I don't really think the Heat would have been any less of a super team if Bosh had already been there before Lebron joined.

I do think the Warriors should be in some other category than the rest of the superteams though (at least for now). It's possible to replicate what the Warriors did the previous two seasons (build through the draft), it's not possible to replicate what they did this year (add a max guy to a team with 3 max-worthy* guys in their primes).

* I'm not sold on Klay as actually being max-worthy but that seems to be the conventional wisdom.

And I still think the Warriors only get 1 more title out of this team. Their advantage over the league comes in their 3-8 players moreso than their top 2. That advantage will be harder to maintain financially past next year unless guys agree to major pay cuts (which would be a Warriors thing to do).

If they run through the league and the playoffs again next year (which isn't a given if Chris goes to the Spurs for a low enough number to keep the roster somewhat intact) then Lebron will opt out, take a pay cut and upgrade from Love as the Cavs third best player (or go somewhere else).

And curry is done

19149453_1417770568319320_5661272542949712196_n.jpg

Back