• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official MLB SPRING TRAINING THREAD (Cobb signs with O's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt Wieters will sign with the Nats. $10 million contract for 2017 (pay cut from $15.75 million in 2016). Player option of $11 million for 2018.

Wieters will likely hit 8th. Nats lineup is deep.

Matt Wieters will sign with the Nats. $10 million contract for 2017 (pay cut from $15.75 million in 2016). Player option of $11 million for 2018.

Wieters will likely hit 8th. Nats lineup is deep.

It also sounded like a catcher was a missing piece for Nats/White Sox negotiations to get Robertson to fill closer role...Nats now have Wieters, Norris and Severino so likely one of those goes to Chicago as part of a deal for Robertson - at least that's what the Nats folks on Twitter are saying.

It also sounded like a catcher was a missing piece for Nats/White Sox negotiations to get Robertson to fill closer role...Nats now have Wieters, Norris and Severino so likely one of those goes to Chicago as part of a deal for Robertson - at least that's what the Nats folks on Twitter are saying.

Nats also have Jose Lobaton, so they have four catchers on major league contracts. That is at least one and probably two too many for the 25 man roster. Good to have multiple guys in spring training, but that many won't be needed after April 1.

Wieters found out that last year in Baltimore didn't get him much respect in front offices.

The Washington Nationals agreed to terms with catcher Matt Wieters on a two-year deal on Tuesday, one that allows the 30-year-old to opt out after this season and hit free agency again next winter, and therefore amounts to a one-year deal with the possibility for a second.

The deal is not official, as it is pending a physical to be held Wednesday, but would include $5 million in deferred money, a recent staple of the Nationals’ more high-profile free agent signings.

There it is!

Seeing about those deferred contracts made think about how Barry Bonilla "deferred" his earnings so as to get north of $1M/year though the 2030s or so. KC Royals George Brett, Dan Quisenberry and Willie Wilson got "lifetime contracts" back in the late 80s/early 90s that are paying them decades after they finish playing.

@texasdeac

what's the deal with musgrove? is he going to start in the minors? is he actually good?

Page Five. Talk about COLD stove, eh comrades?

Anyway, I revived this thread because I'm conflicted about the artificial noisemakers and instruments that have pervaded the WBC crowds. On the one hand, who doesn't like an Asian horn section that sounds like a mariachi band and plays walk-up music for every player?

[OWG] On the other hand, shut the hell up and let me watch baseball in peace, you damn foreigners. [/OWG]

Rays lock Kiermaier up for 6 years, $53.5 million...with an option + performance bonuses, could end up at 7 years, $66.15 million.

White Sox gave the biggest extension to a player with less than a year of service time to Tim Anderson - six years, $25 million with 2 options, $12.5 and $14. Seems like a lot for a guy who strikes out a lot (117), walks very little (13), and barely gets on base. wRC+ pegs him at a just below average hitter. Projection systems have him at below average again this season but he was consistently very good in the minors. I guess the Sox are banking on him getting back to that.

RIP, Dallas.

I snorted a shit-load of blow off of that framed 1980 Phillies Championship mirror. Judge me not unless you were around in the crazy Eighties.

The night the Phillies won the division in 1980 in Montreal my buddies Bobby, Slut and I were drinking at the Hyatt when Dallas and GM Paul Owens entered the lobby from the team bus. Dallas and Owens each had a nearly full bottle of champagne in their hand and weren't exactly walking straight. Dallas recognized Slut as Slut had dated Greg Luzinski's cousin (who was living with the Bull).

Dallas slapped Slut on the back and almost knocked him into the registration desk. Dallas was about 6'5, 250+ versus Slut being about 5'9, 150. The Skipper and GM offered us swigs of their champagne. In their drunken joy they thanked us for driving all night to come to the games. We drank and talked.

I asked Dallas if I could ask him a question about the team. My girlfriend at the time was friends with Sheena Bowa. She had told me about how much shit Dallas gave Larry in team meetings. So, I asked Dallas why he gave Bowa so much shit. Green and Owens looked at each other and laughed.

Green said something to the effect of there were a lot of wusses in the clubhouse who might shut down if he yelled at them too much and that Bowa could take it. Owens started laughing as he heard this. So did Dallas. Then Dallas told us that Bowa used break shit up in the clubhouse after getting yelled at. The Owens chimed in that he and Dallas would make bets on how much and what Bowa would break during his tantrums.

As we finished the bottles, they asked us not to say anything about it until after the season.

In unimportant news, Nats are releasing Clint Robinson. He was a career minor leaguer (8 years) who earned a spot on the Nats the last two seasons. Pinch hitter and backup first baseman and outfielder.

A guy who made the show through perseverance and hard work.

Any interesting roster decisions at this point? I saw that the Phillies dropped Coghlan - I would've assumed he'd at least snag a bench role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back