• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season Long College Basketball Thread

WVU finishes on an 11-2 run to beat UVa by 9.

UVA definitely not top 10 and remains to be seen whether they are top 25. They have had a couple of good wins without Austin Nichols (Providence, Ohio State) but they are also a little hard to gauge because they rarely play on the road. I think their first road game is at the end December.

(OK so I now
see they played UNG-Greensboro on the road in their first game, and did play in a neutral site tourney, so never mind I should stop posting with the flu...)

Last edited:
UVA is suddenly not a top 10/25 team because they lost a close game to a good West Virginia team? I disagree. More likely you all are underestimating how good West Virginia is.

UVA is suddenly not a top 10/25 team because they lost a close game to a good West Virginia team? I disagree. More likely you all are underestimating how good West Virginia is.

Eh I've seen em a few times this season and have yet to be impressed. They've got nothing going on inside.

I've seen them a few times as well, and I've been impressed

West va is a good team , no doubt. But the near loss to a quality but not good OSU game the other night was telling to me. No a top 10 team, definite top 25 team.

And my owls took down these mountaineers last week.

Oh ok then well argued
How much of an argument do I need, they were top 10 in offensive and defensive efficiency going into this game. Not every great team has a dominant post player.

How much of an argument do I need, they were top 10 in offensive and defensive efficiency going into this game. Not every great team has a dominant post player.

Well that's a much better argument. Though we were all basically talking eye test.

Eh I've seen em a few times this season and have yet to be impressed. They've got nothing going on inside.

UVA lost a lot in addition to Brogdon. And then the Austin Nichols Era lasted exactly 1 game. And he was their only inside guy with any offensive game in the post. They're not as strong defensively up front or in the backcourt. Guy is going to be a really nice player - shoots like Curtis Staples and has a nice handle - but he's 6'1", 165. Neither he nor Jerome are good defenders at this point. I like Diakate - he's athletic and has a great vertical, but his basketball IQ isn't great - he gets out of position and occasionally gets beat off the dribble or on a screen and roll. Reuter is athletically limited, and Salt has no offensive game but played a great defensive game against tOSU. Shayock has stepped up his offensive game, but he's not a great defender either. Bennett has a 10 man rotation, and they are deep. But the problem he faces down the stretch of games is whether to play his better perimeter defenders in Hall and Thompson or his better offensive players in Guy and Shayock. It's a nice team that will probably finish in the top-25, but they're only ranked in the top-10 by reputation. And they only have 1 senior. They'll probably be better next year.

Fox, Ball and Monk sure put on a show yesterday. There could be as many as 5 PGs picked in the Top 10 this year. What's going to be funny to see is if these guys are as good as they look some idiot fans are going to say a couple of them may not be a good pick as they may not make many all star teams. There are only so many spots for guards.

Lonzo Ball reminds me of a young Shawn Livingston who can shoot.

It also looks like some lucky team may bet Miles Bridges in the 10-15 range. How will the Spurs trade to get him and have Kawhi and Bridges on the wings for the next decade?

College of Charleston just beat Davidson. Thats a good win for them.

Back