• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 College Football Coaching Carousel

I heard on Cowherd show, ND said to be interested in PJ Fleck.

Are you effing kidding me? Kelly is a good coach, just not for ND. In fact with all their regulations and academics crap, time may have passed the Irish by in terms of good coaching jobs.

Are you effing kidding me? Kelly is a good coach, just not for ND. In fact with all their regulations and academics crap, time may have passed the Irish by in terms of good coaching jobs.

I thought I heard over the weekend Fleck took the Purdue job?

Nevada and San Jose State each have openings after firing their head coach.

The rumored candidates for the Oregon job are Chris Harsin (Boise), PJ Fleck and of course Chip Kelly.

BTW, Butch Jones has got to be on a short leash at Tennessee. They were so hyped early in the year, but UT struggled in the weak SEC East with losses to SC and Vandy (and a miracle win against UGA) that once proud program is now consistently mediocre.

Last edited:

Kelly is not a good guy. Has claimed no responsibility for the bad year, and for the academics issue. As for Kelly putting himself out there, that was done by him before he got fired. Don't think anyone really wants him.

Kelly is not a good guy. Has claimed no responsibility for the bad year, and for the academics issue. As for Kelly putting himself out there, that was done by him before he got fired. Don't think anyone really wants him.

Plus he killed a guy

I tend to think Kelly could win big somewhere like Tennessee.

Why Alleva thought he had to sign Coach O now makes no sense at all. He could have interview all hot young coaches and then come back to O if necessary. Pure emotion driven decision by LSU.

Followed up by the pure emotion decision to can Miles in the first place.

row that boat!

Time long since past by ND as a good place to coach ever since Lou Holtz left. They have had Davie, Willingham [who was successful at Stanford ], Weis and now Kelly. Before that, Gerry Faust, who was a total mistake to replace Dan Devine, was 30-26 and that was the beginning of their overall downfall. But realistically where they are located has about as much to do with their lack of success as about anything. Except for a few schools these days, who in their right minds wants to go up in the freezing cold to play and practice football and walk to classes when you can do all this down South. [and unlike UNC you have to go to class at Notre dame!]

Time long since past by ND as a good place to coach ever since Lou Holtz left. They have had Davie, Willingham [who was successful at Stanford ], Weis and now Kelly. Before that, Gerry Faust, who was a total mistake to replace Dan Devine, was 30-26 and that was the beginning of their overall downfall. But realistically where they are located has about as much to do with their lack of success as about anything. Except for a few schools these days, who in their right minds wants to go up in the freezing cold to play and practice football and walk to classes when you can do all this down South. [and unlike UNC you have to go to class at Notre dame!]

Notre Dame is the most storied franchise in all of college football. All they have to do is sell their history and the fact that they are on television every week and they have a national following. The top tier Big 10 schools don't seem to have problems getting people to come play there. Notre Dame should be recruit just as well if not better given its pedigree. The biggest reason that job sucks is that they refuse to join a conference. Unless they are in the conversation for the CFP, what are they really playing for?

Notre Dame is the most storied franchise in all of college football. All they have to do is sell their history and the fact that they are on television every week and they have a national following. The top tier Big 10 schools don't seem to have problems getting people to come play there. Notre Dame should be recruit just as well if not better given its pedigree. The biggest reason that job sucks is that they refuse to join a conference. Unless they are in the conversation for the CFP, what are they really playing for?

They definitely don't need to join a conference to be in the discussion for the playoff. If they go 12-0 or 11-1 they're gonna be in. Committee loves the big names.

They definitely don't need to join a conference to be in the discussion for the playoff. If they go 12-0 or 11-1 they're gonna be in. Committee loves the big names.

Yea that's a pretty silly argument. I would love for ND to go ahead and join the ACC completely, but I don't think them giving up millions of dollars a year in TV revenue is their only path to relevance.

To be accurate, the committee is simply a business association among the Power V conferences, nothing more; it's not the equivalent of the NCAA Selection committee for basketball. Except for maybe a little cover from the ACC reps, ND has no one representing its interests on the committee. If the 4th playoff spot ever came down to ND, and another Power V team (particularly if that team's conference didn't have a team already in), ND would not get the nod.

To be accurate, the committee is simply a business association among the Power V conferences, nothing more; it's not the equivalent of the NCAA Selection committee for basketball. Except for maybe a little cover from the ACC reps, ND has no one representing its interests on the committee. If the 4th playoff spot ever came down to ND, and another Power V team (particularly if that team's conference didn't have a team already in), ND would not get the nod.

Yea I'll call bullshit on that one.

I'm not sure that representatives from a given conference "represent the interests" of other schools from that conference, and members of the committee have to recuse themselves from voting for a school if they or a family member takes a salary from said school.

Not to mention aside from the P5 representatives on the committee, there are also (actually more) members from non-p5 interests:

Jeff Bower (SMU)
Herb Deromedi (CMU)
Tom Jernstedt (NCAA)
Condoleeza Rice (lol)
Steve Wieberg (USA Today)

oh...and Tyrone Willingham, former Notre Dame coach.

yeah, I love the Coach O hire. If nothing else because it makes college football more fun.

How does a failed coach with a lackluster offensive mind make college football better?

Bring back Chip, Oregon.

Jim McElwain probably to Oregon as soon as the SECCG is over on Saturday. Long history on the west coast at Eastern Washington, Montana State, Oakland Raiders & Fresno St.

Back