• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 College Football Coaching Carousel

Just to bring current, existing openings:

Oregon
Baylor
Purdue
Houston
Nevada
San Jose St.
Georgia State
Florida Atlantic

Rumors are the Houston is interested in Lane Kiffin if they don't hire a current assistant (Major Applewhite is the OC). Purdue wants Fleck, but Fleck may want the Oregon job or may want to wait one year for a better opening. If Purdue can't get Fleck, Les Miles may get the Purdue job.

Many people think Baylor is after SMU's Chad Morris, but he signed an extension at SMU. If Morris is not an option, Baylor may take a run at Larry Fedora (who is among the lowest paid coaches in the ACC), Colorado's Mike McIntyre and/or Tulsa's Phillip Montgomery (who was an assistant under Briles - which could disqualify him).

Former 49ers QB Jeff Garcia is a rumored candidate for San Jose State (Garcia is an alum).

Jim McElwain probably to Oregon as soon as the SECCG is over on Saturday. Long history on the west coast at Eastern Washington, Montana State, Oakland Raiders & Fresno St.

no way. probs the Boise St guy.

Oregon
Baylor
Purdue
Houston
Nevada
San Jose St.
Georgia State
Florida Atlantic

Rumors are the Houston is interested in Lane Kiffin if they don't hire a current assistant (Major Applewhite is the OC). Purdue wants Fleck, but Fleck may want the Oregon job or may want to wait one year for a better opening. If Purdue can't get Fleck, Les Miles may get the Purdue job.

Many people think Baylor is after SMU's Chad Morris, but he signed an extension at SMU. If Morris is not an option, Baylor may take a run at Larry Fedora (who is among the lowest paid coaches in the ACC), Colorado's Mike McIntyre and/or Tulsa's Phillip Montgomery (who was an assistant under Briles - which could disqualify him).

Former 49ers QB Jeff Garcia is a rumored candidate for San Jose State (Garcia is an alum).

I keep hearing the reports about Chad Morris and the Baylor job. First off, I am not sure why anybody would want that dumpster-fire right now! And while I know Morris was a highly decorated Texas high school football coach for something like 16 years, so he knows the ins & out of the recruiting trails down there, his record at SMU is still only 7-17 overall & 4-12 in the AAC. Does his great 4 years at Clemson automatically make him a head coach ready for that with only that record?

Bring back Chip, Oregon.

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Long before the head coaching job at Oregon was available, San Francisco 49ers coach Chip Kelly said he had no plans to leave his current job. Now that the Ducks have fired coach Mark Helfrich and officially have an opening, nothing has changed.

On Wednesday, Kelly was asked again whether he planned to stay with the Niners. He repeatedly nodded in the affirmative before providing a response.

"Yep," Kelly said. "So we're all done with that, I hope."

Asked if there's any chance he will return to Oregon, Kelly shook his head and said "no."

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Long before the head coaching job at Oregon was available, San Francisco 49ers coach Chip Kelly said he had no plans to leave his current job. Now that the Ducks have fired coach Mark Helfrich and officially have an opening, nothing has changed.

On Wednesday, Kelly was asked again whether he planned to stay with the Niners. He repeatedly nodded in the affirmative before providing a response.

"Yep," Kelly said. "So we're all done with that, I hope."

Asked if there's any chance he will return to Oregon, Kelly shook his head and said "no."

Nick Saban also refuted multiple times, even on National TV on Christmas day. It just happened the next day that he accepted the job to coach Alabama.

Hard to believe Florida could open again so soon and that McElwain would prefer Oregon over the Gaytors.

Hard to believe Florida could open again so soon and that McElwain would prefer Oregon over the Gaytors.
Seems to me UF should be a consistent, year-in, year-out top 10 program. They have $$$, facilities, and a great talent base. But they have really only been elite when they had 2 of probably the 20 greatest coaches in NCAA history on their sidelines. It seems to me that would be a program where even a good, but not historically great, coach could win games. Sort of like Tressell at OSU.

Seems to me UF should be a consistent, year-in, year-out top 10 program. They have $$$, facilities, and a great talent base. But they have really only been elite when they had 2 of probably the 20 greatest coaches in NCAA history on their sidelines. It seems to me that would be a program where even a good, but not historically great, coach could win games. Sort of like Tressell at OSU.

They also have the benefit of playing in the trash SEC east.

Jim McElwain probably to Oregon as soon as the SECCG is over on Saturday. Long history on the west coast at Eastern Washington, Montana State, Oakland Raiders & Fresno St.

Nah

no way. probs the Boise St guy.

I think it'll be a big league hire, Phil Knight is going all out

Oh, clever one!

In modern cfb, you need a great coach/great recruiting staff to consistently stay at the top. Tressel was a good coach, but a great recruiter. You also have to keep in mind that Jimbo has a stranglehold on instate recruiting right now, and Richt is going to start getting some talent to go to Coral Gables again.

McElwain's issue is that he hasn't been able to get a suitable QB to play since Will Grier decided to roid up.

They also have the benefit of playing in the trash SEC east.

#blessed

Purdue is a coaching graveyard right now. Fleck would be nuts to go there.

Can't argue with you based upon recent results, but why is it so hard for Purdue to compete? They went to the Rose Bowl in 2001, and were reasonably competitive through 2008. All of the Big 10 teams receive a ton of revenue from the conference. I get why Purdue isn't Michigan, but why can't they play on the same level as Northwestern or even Minnesota?

Can't argue with you based upon recent results, but why is it so hard for Purdue to compete? They went to the Rose Bowl in 2001, and were reasonably competitive through 2008. All of the Big 10 teams receive a ton of revenue from the conference. I get why Purdue isn't Michigan, but why can't they play on the same level as Northwestern or even Minnesota?

Pilch, I have a neighbor across the street who was in school with Brees at Purdue. We talk a little football every now & then and he says Purdue is just a cluster right now with their Prez & AD. He says they have been at odds ever since Joe Tiller left and don't know what direction to go, plus can't get anywhere with academics & athletics. Sounds a lot like Wake & Georgia Tech. Bobinski left GT to go to Purdue so that was somewhat of a surprise.

Oregon
Baylor
Purdue
Houston
Nevada
San Jose St.
Georgia State
Florida Atlantic

I still don't buy it with Baylor. A lot of the talk is about Sonny Dykes, which makes a lot more sense than Fedora or McIntyre. Why would someone want to leave Chapel Hill or Boulder for Waco when you have tons of job security and more money on the way? Baylor probably could and would out bid those programs, but I don't see it being enough to offset the dumpster fire of Waco TX and the Baylor football program.

Back