• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 College Football Coaching Carousel

Seems to me UF should be a consistent, year-in, year-out top 10 program. They have $$$, facilities, and a great talent base. But they have really only been elite when they had 2 of probably the 20 greatest coaches in NCAA history on their sidelines. It seems to me that would be a program where even a good, but not historically great, coach could win games. Sort of like Tressell at OSU.

A lot of UF fans have complained that UF hasn't done enough in the facilities department. Wake had an indoor facility before UF did and i believe that UF was the last in the SEC.

I still don't buy it with Baylor. A lot of the talk is about Sonny Dykes, which makes a lot more sense than Fedora or McIntyre. Why would someone want to leave Chapel Hill or Boulder for Waco when you have tons of job security and more money on the way? Baylor probably could and would out bid those programs, but I don't see it being enough to offset the dumpster fire of Waco TX and the Baylor football program.

Money is the only reason. Baylor is willing to pay a lot of money to its football coach. More than UNC or Colorado. That said, completely agree that Baylor will be a total rebuild. The scandal has kept them from recruiting anyone for 2017 (it also hurt their 2016 class), and they are already way behind making contacts for 2018. At a minimum, there are going to be several ugly seasons in Waco over the next few years.

Money is the only reason. Baylor is willing to pay a lot of money to its football coach. More than UNC or Colorado. That said, completely agree that Baylor will be a total rebuild. The scandal has kept them from recruiting anyone for 2017 (it also hurt their 2016 class), and they are already way behind making contacts for 2018. At a minimum, there are going to be several ugly seasons in Waco over the next few years.

There's a strong near term bias with Baylor. Yes, they recently built a new stadium and they're putting more money into their program now than before. But historically they haven't been a good program. And it's much more likely that they're only able to make an average hire and they revert closer to where they've been historically than that they're able to make a solid hire of a known winner and continue the last 6-8 years.

Add Kevin Wilson from Indiana to the carousel. That's a surprise.

Add Kevin Wilson from Indiana to the carousel. That's a surprise.

Indiana has improved leaps and bounds since Kevin Wilson showed up. The man knows offense. It's just that Indiana's defense is usually abysmal. Indiana has become a respectable team to play since Wilson showed up. They were a laughing stock when he arrived. The Indiana win is arguably our best win of the year.

Indiana has improved leaps and bounds since Kevin Wilson showed up. The man knows offense. It's just that Indiana's defense is usually abysmal. Indiana has become a respectable team to play since Wilson showed up. They were a laughing stock when he arrived. The Indiana win is arguably our best win of the year.

I think their defense was actually a good bit improved this year too.

Maybe Wilson will find an OC job in his home state of NC next season.

That move makes little sense. Indiana was horrendous when Wilson arrived. He has coached IU for 5 seasons. They have steadily improved each year and have now qualified for bowls in consecutive years for only the 2nd time in school history. Indiana won 4 Big 10 conference games for the first time in 15 years. Also, Indiana's recruiting greatly improved under Wilson. In addition to improved records, Indiana has been competitive against the best teams in the conference almost beating Michigan and Penn State this year; lost to tOSU in the final seconds last year. Wonder if there is more to this story.

BTW, Wilson went to UNC, and is from NC.

Historically, it has been tough for a college football coach to lose to Wake Forest and still hold onto his job.

Wilson is just another casualty. Poor guy. A dead man walking over the last few months.

Apparently Wilson ignored concussion protocol and played guys 7 days after concussions. Ignored trainers.

Other rumors include a guy going blind with a staph infection and another guy being asked to play on a broken foot. Multiple lawsuits apparently incoming.

Ok then.

Other rumors include a guy going blind with a staph infection and another guy being asked to play on a broken foot. Multiple lawsuits apparently incoming.

Ok then.

Hard to top throwing chairs and choking people at that school, but sounds like he was giving it his best shot.

#bkfbatsignal

This is a huge blow after 6 steady years of watching Wilson build the program.

IU’s defensive coordinator Tom Allen is a hot commodity for what he did at South Florida and then at IU this year. The word is that Hugh Freeze is offering $1 million plus for Allen to return to Ole Miss as D coordinator. Allen previously was an assistant under Freeze but left to get D coordinator experience. Anyway, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Allen get the job. He’s an Indiana native and a very charismatic guy. And he’s the first coach in 20 years to put a competent defense together at IU.

If they go outside the program, the guys I’d prioritize are Charlie Strong and Jeff Brohm.

This is a huge blow after 6 steady years of watching Wilson build the program.

IU’s defensive coordinator Tom Allen is a hot commodity for what he did at South Florida and then at IU this year. The word is that Hugh Freeze is offering $1 million plus for Allen to return to Ole Miss as D coordinator. Allen previously was an assistant under Freeze but left to get D coordinator experience. Anyway, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Allen get the job. He’s an Indiana native and a very charismatic guy. And he’s the first coach in 20 years to put a competent defense together at IU.

If they go outside the program, the guys I’d prioritize are Charlie Strong and Jeff Brohm.

If Allen is a hot commodity, he may want to shop around because word is that Hugh Freeze's days at Ole Miss are numbered as that school is about to get hammered for recruiting violations.

Wilson only took just over 500K of his 11 mil buyout. Something happened.

Back