• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Richmond Game

I'm just trying not to get my hopes up after some "nice" pre ACC wins like last year that proved fools gold.

Totally fair.

As strong as the ACC is this year, that is probably the smarter approach.

Totally fair.

As strong as the ACC is this year, that is probably the smarter approach.

Playing Clemson and FSU this month should give us a good measuring stick before the New Year.

Since we don't have big guards, I'm expecting ACC teams to guard Collins one on one and take away the 3. That's going to be a big difference when we get to conference play.

Richmond, Bucknell, and College of Charleston are not decent teams. They're all pretty bad. Lowered expectations are really getting to some of you.

Good bounce back win on the road. The shooting percentages were down from behind the arc and at the line but the offensive rebounding compensated. I cringed when DM took all the bigs off the floor but that line up played well together and extended the lead. Crawford realized his shot was off and made contributions everywhere else.

Richmond, Bucknell, and College of Charleston are not decent teams. They're all pretty bad. Lowered expectations are really getting to some of you.

Not sure Bucknell is in that group, they did win at Vandy, not saying they are as good as in the past but they are above those other two.

Manning's "rotations" must have been better this game!

At one point in the early 2nd half I was listening on the stream and McClinton was playing the 5 while Richmond got about 3 offensive rebounds, 2 in one trip down the court.

At one point in the early 2nd half I was listening on the stream and McClinton was playing the 5 while Richmond got about 3 offensive rebounds, 2 in one trip down the court.

That was at the 14 minute mark. And actually the 2 they had on that possession were the only 2 they got. And they didn't score. Richmond scored 3 points from the 14 mark to the 8 minute mark. Wake went up 13 in the span.

That was at the 14 minute mark. And actually the 2 they had on that possession were the only 2 they got. And they didn't score. Richmond scored 3 points from the 14 mark to the 8 minute mark. Wake went up 13 in the span.

Yeah our big men were Arians and McClinton. It worked.

The decision to put McClinton on Cline and double team him won the game in my opinion.

The decision to put McClinton on Cline and double team him won the game in my opinion.

Amazing but probably true. Cline had 6 points in the entire 2nd half prior to his meaningless bucket at the 10 second mark. Cut his production in half.

As I recall, they didn't score as the result of a charge. Who else was on the court? Sounds like the perfect lineup based on your description...if it worked so well, why did we go away from it?

McClinton played well... solid D, and in 14 minutes had 3 offensive rebounds which he's always had a knack for (maybe his only consistent strength thoughout his career).

4-24 from three with mostly good looks from good shooters is why it wasn't a blowout. Also, JC only 19 minutes with foul trouble... which is becoming a theme. He gets some ticky tacks with the way the game is officiated but priority #1 for staff before ACC play is to figure out how to keep him on the court.

Manning had some pretty stern words for Collins when he came back to the bench after his third foul that ended with him thumbing to the bench/telling him he would be there for a while.

As I recall, they didn't score as the result of a charge. Who else was on the court? Sounds like the perfect lineup based on your description...if it worked so well, why did we go away from it?

Hey I was dumping on McClinton early so what do I know. He stepped it up and didn't make many mistakes in the 2nd half. Credit where credit is due.

We went small with Dinos in for a possession, pulled him and moved Arians/McClinton down to the 4/5. Arians took advantage of his mismatch a couple times, then when we brought Collins back we left Arians there and Collins got an awesome block out to give Arians another wide open layup. We also jumped back-to-back elbow entry passes that Dinos and Collins had been playing behind all game which seemed to rattle them.

So Manning did mix up the smaller lineup a bit, but going small definitely worked, as did sticking with it despite having to go with Arians/McClinton as our bigs.

i feel for JC because college refs in general are bad and with emphasis on freedom of movement and only 5 fouls it makes it so easy for a big strong physical player to get in foul trouble, especially when he'll occasionally pick up a cheapie on offense when an overmatched player decides to flop and awful ref sees guy fall down so it must be a charge.

Even with his 5 TOs, Dinos did not have a bad game with 11/8 and 2 steals. This is new for him. In past years, he would have moped a little.

Back