• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Richmond Game

i feel for JC because college refs in general are bad and with emphasis on freedom of movement and only 5 fouls it makes it so easy for a big strong physical player to get in foul trouble, especially when he'll occasionally pick up a cheapie on offense when an overmatched player decides to flop and awful ref sees guy fall down so it must be a charge.

The BS post up calls have to go. They ruin games.

That was at the 14 minute mark. And actually the 2 they had on that possession were the only 2 they got. And they didn't score. Richmond scored 3 points from the 14 mark to the 8 minute mark. Wake went up 13 in the span.

Looks like Mit went out at 13:40 and those two offensive rebounds came on the next play after Manning subbed out anyone of any height. Collins was back in at 10:41 after we had increased the lead from 5 to 9. Mit was back in by 9:29. It jumped to 13 shortly there after...the jump from 9 to 13 took a lot less time than the 5 to 9. Not quite as rosy a picture of the small lineup as you painted.

I count 9 points for Richmond in the play-by-play from 14:00 to 8:00.

A little shaky but overall good finish against the press. Love Crawford getting his 10th assist and 2 free throws to lock it down.

We just won a tough road game as a 1 point favorite while shooting 15% from 3. Not bad.

Not bad at all. And as poorly as we played at Northwestern, we would have won that game had Crawford taken care of the ball like he did today.

Looks like Mit went out at 13:40 and those two offensive rebounds came on the next play after Manning subbed out anyone of any height. Collins was back in at 10:41 after we had increased the lead from 5 to 9. Mit was back in by 9:29. It jumped to 13 shortly there after...the jump from 9 to 13 took a lot less time than the 5 to 9. Not quite as rosy a picture of the small lineup as you painted.

I count 9 points for Richmond in the play-by-play from 14:00 to 8:00.

Maybe we're looking at different play by plays? Dinos missed a 3 and then came out, we were up 43-38. They were stuck on 41 until Collins returned to the lineup. The lineup people are blasting as ridiculous is the McClinton/Arians one. That lineup gave up 3 points.

Crawford bounces back from a 9 turnover game to have a 10:1 turnover ratio today. Hell of a performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, I was at the game and had a couple of observations. First, I can't figure out why Wilbekin is starting and getting 30 minutes/game. He's OK, but Crawford and Woods are by far our two best guards, and Childress and Wilbekin should just be spelling them when they need a break. Wilbekin is smallish, is a liability on D, and a streaky, at best, shooter. Woods should be in the whole game unless he gets tired and needs a breather. If those two played one on one to 21, I'd guess 21-5 Woods. Woods is better in every way. Bigger, stronger, faster, better bball IQ, better passer, better shooter, better rebounder.

I thought McClinton played very well. Nothing spectacular, but he is a good dirty work kind of player. Sets picks, doesn't make many mistakes, doesn't force things, solid D, and we are a better rebounding team with him in there, assuming we have some other bigs to help him.

Seems like our nucleus is Collins, Woods, Crawford and Dinos. Assuming no foul trouble, haha, those guys should all be playing 30-35 mpg each. Arians is solid on both ends, and he deserves the 30ish minutes he gets, too. I didn't realize how big and solid he is until I saw him up close at the game. Doral should just be spelling Collins, and he does pretty well when he is in there. I'd rather see Chill as the first guard off the bench, and Wilbekin 10 mpg+/-. I feel like Woods is pulled in and out of the game so much he hardly has a chance to get warmed up. If he played 35+ mpg, I feel like he'd score 20 ppg. And he's a strong dude and plays tough on D. He is one hell of a pickup by Danny. He's the real deal. McClinton with 15-20 mpg is probably about right.

Speaking of PT, Manning's substitutions are still mind boggling. I just don't know what he is thinking sometimes. We subbed seemingly every single stoppage in the first half, and no one ever seemed to have time to even get into the flow of the game. I always took a little bit to get a sweat going and really get 100% comfortable. Woods is a guy who is doing well in this revolving door so far, but it seems he is a guy who is in great physical shape and would be better and really light it up if he didn't get pulled in and out so much. Again, I really see him as a 20ppg, and high pct at that, if he were playing 35 mpg. I thought Collins should have come back into the game earlier after his 3rd foul early in the second half, but then again, I think he may have been sending him a message to be smarter on D. If you swing your arm to swat a block in college, you are going to get called 9/10 times. And with 2 fouls, first possession of the 2nd half for UR?!?! We probably need to get used to playing without him if he is going to do that.

I do like our late game "victory" team we used for most of the last 2 minutes. 4 guards and Collins. We can cover the 3 and break presses with the speed and ballhandling, and make more foul shots. That I did like from Danny.

Anyway, FWIW.

Woods leads the team in minutes but doesn't start. I get the loyalty to Wilbekin early in the season, but would like the see the switch by Xavier...

I'm just trying not to get my hopes up after some "nice" pre ACC wins like last year that proved fools gold.

We have Arians and Woods this year in place of CMM and Crab. JC is getting minutes this year which he deserved last year when he sat all but 12 minutes per game behind DT. Those are HUGE upgrades in attitude, shooting accuracy from the floor and in free throw shooting. This team wouldn't lose the insurmountable lead to Virginia and should be much better at the end of games in particular.

We have Arians and Woods this year in place of CMM and Crab. JC is getting minutes this year which he deserved last year when he sat all but 12 minutes per game behind DT. Those are HUGE upgrades in attitude, shooting accuracy from the floor and in free throw shooting. This team wouldn't lose the insurmountable lead to Virginia and should be much better at the end of games in particular.

Proof is in the pudding, I'll buy it when I see it. I do agree that it seems we have some pieces we haven't had in awhile though.

I would like to see Manning play Collins more with foul trouble. In a manner of speaking Manning is fouling out Collins with 3 fouls. Collins only played 19 minutes today despite never getting his 4th foul. You can make an argument that minutes are more valuable later, but it is fairly weak. Would you rather have Collins in the game for the final 4 minutes in a tie game or would you rather him foul out at the 4 minute mark with a 7 point lead? I would like to see him taken out for a couple of minutes after he picks up the 3rd foul but then reinserted into the game. If you assume that all minutes are roughly as important as any other minutes, you are greatly lowering your potential by limiting Collins to 19 minutes. Collins never picked up his 4th foul at Northwestern either but sat for long periods.

I would sit him enough to make sure he was rested and did not pick up a cheap one that way, but would otherwise play him until he picked up his 4th. Even after a player gets his 4th foul, I would put him back in at the 7 minute mark or so.

Coaches can be so conservative that they beat themselves. It's like football coaches that will not go for it on 4th down even though all the odds are in their favor.

Someone made Wilbekin think he is a scorer. Cannot guard anyone. That he plays 30 minutes per game is pretty ridiculous.

What would you guys do in place of Wilbekin? More Childress? He's shooting under 30% from the field. Or more Crawford and Woods?

What would you guys do in place of Wilbekin? More Childress? He's shooting under 30% from the field. Or more Crawford and Woods?

More Childress. His shooting will pick up and he is a much better passer and defender.

There's no reason they can't play 32-34 mpg. Many teams play players that much.

More Childress. His shooting will pick up and he is a much better passer and defender.
Disagree. They're both very bad on D. I'd argue Childress is already playing more minutes than he should be playing. He needs a lot of work. Woods and Crawford should play close to 35 MPG if not in foul trouble to cut into Wilbekin and Childress's minutes. Hope Manning heads this way as we get closer to ACC play.

I would like to see Manning play Collins more with foul trouble. In a manner of speaking Manning is fouling out Collins with 3 fouls. Collins only played 19 minutes today despite never getting his 4th foul. You can make an argument that minutes are more valuable later, but it is fairly weak. Would you rather have Collins in the game for the final 4 minutes in a tie game or would you rather him foul out at the 4 minute mark with a 7 point lead? I would like to see him taken out for a couple of minutes after he picks up the 3rd foul but then reinserted into the game. If you assume that all minutes are roughly as important as any other minutes, you are greatly lowering your potential by limiting Collins to 19 minutes. Collins never picked up his 4th foul at Northwestern either but sat for long periods.

I would sit him enough to make sure he was rested and did not pick up a cheap one that way, but would otherwise play him until he picked up his 4th. Even after a player gets his 4th foul, I would put him back in at the 7 minute mark or so.

Coaches can be so conservative that they beat themselves. It's like football coaches that will not go for it on 4th down even though all the odds are in their favor.

Great post. Especially if you account for the fact Manning runs a 4 guard lineup at the end of games anyway. Collins is much more valuable to build or keep a lead in the middle 10 minutes of the game in which we struggle as opposed to the end of games. Worst comes to worst Dinos is a better FT and 3PT shooter to maintaining or building a lead.

Childress is the future. And Woods. Wilbekin is a known quantity--not a good one. I hope DM is going to give them more and more minutes. Granted Childress has struggled but his defense is much better than Wilbekin's already and he will get better. Investing in Childress and Woods will yield more returns.

My biggest issue with JC's fouls are many are completely unnecessary. His first 2 fouls were silly fouls around the three point line. Heck, his third foul was attempting to stop a dunk. The first two were completely unnecessary and should never occur. If he stopped the sillly fouls he could get another 5-10 minutes easily and still be ok with fouling while playing tough D.

Back