• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Richmond Game

Posted this on another thread, but it's a 50/50 game against Richmond on Saturday. Wake is a 1 pt favorite on KP.

We are 13 point favorite against Charlotte, and 4 pt favorite against UNC-G.

Win expectancy is right around two games. It would be nice to win all three, but 2/3 is the expected outcome. Richmond would be a nice win.

I certainly wouldn't hit the panic button if we lost on Saturday.

I would, if you expect this team to represent a significant step forward and to be different from recent teams. If we lose this game I won't completely lose interest, but I'll probably resign myself to another lackluster/bad season.

Yeah, I won't panic if we don't beat Richmond, but this is the exact type of game we need to win if we want to raise expectations for the year to something involving postseason play.

As you point out, Kenpom thinks this is a 50/50-ish game... It also has us finishing 15-15 this year, which is a few wins below where I think we can get.

If we're the team Kenpom is currently predicting, that's not anywhere close to the improvement I want to see. If we end up with 15-16 wins I'm gonna be pissed. This team has talent, despite how they looked against Northwestern.

If we're the team Kenpom is currently predicting, that's not anywhere close to the improvement I want to see. If we end up with 15-16 wins I'm gonna be pissed. This team has talent, despite how they looked against Northwestern.

It's certainly not where I want to be either, but it's still vast improvement over where we finished last season. Part of that is we were much worse last year than we should have been, which is an issue in and of itself.

We are up nearly 50 spots already, which is a pretty big leap.

I'm not at all saying this is where I want to be this season, or certainly moving forward, but we aren't as far off as a lot of people think we are either. Unfortunately, it's also a really tough schedule in the nation's hardest league, so it may not transfer into the W/L we want to see this season.

It's certainly not where I want to be either, but it's still vast improvement over where we finished last season.

I'm not at all saying this is where I want to be this season, or certainly moving forward, but we aren't as far off as a lot of people think we are either. Unfortunately, it's also a really tough schedule in the nation's hardest league, so it may not transfer into the W/L we want to see this season.

I guess what I am saying is that this really shouldn't be a 50/50 game if we are truly as good as I think we can be this year.

I saw ESPN thinks we have the 2nd toughest schedule in college hoops, so I get your point on overall W/L... And I know Richmond (like Northwestern) is a single game which could go either way, but a legitimately good team should beat a sub-100 Kenpom team on the road with regularity.

It's certainly not where I want to be either, but it's still vast improvement over where we finished last season. Part of that is we were much worse last year than we should have been, which is an issue in and of itself.

Haven't renewed my KenPom subscription, but I'm pretty sure we were hovering around 70 in KP well into the non-conference season last year. The sample size is still too small for the rankings (and thus, predicted probability and win expectancy) to really mean much.

Haven't renewed my KenPom subscription, but I'm pretty sure we were hovering around 70 in KP well into the non-conference season last year. The sample size is still too small for the rankings (and thus, predicted probability and win expectancy) to really mean much.

You're right on this. We were around the mid 70's exactly a year ago before falling to right around 100 when the ACC started.

Unlike last season, where we started at 59th and fell immediately, we have improved 14 spots from the beginning of the season. Thanks in particular to our offense, which is 26th in the country right now.

spider_smash_by_zjenka-d5klh7y.gif

Doofus, the Robbens Center is trash. That dumbass drop ceiling looks horrible. Seriously one of the ugliest arenas I have ever been in. The outside looks horrible too. Beautiful campus. Hideous building.

Doofus, the Robbens Center is trash. That dumbass drop ceiling looks horrible. Seriously one of the ugliest arenas I have ever been in. The outside looks horrible too. Beautiful campus. Hideous building.

Meh, agree to disagree.

I really like the four screens in the corner idea, and think it's a good intimate setting to watch a game.

How many more years should it be acceptable to the fans, given the players we have, for us to be at or near the bottom of the ACC? After the Villanova game I felt like this was at least a NIT team.

Meh, agree to disagree.

I really like the four screens in the corner idea, and think it's a good intimate setting to watch a game.

Yea, but tons of arenas are small with 4 corner screens. That drop ceiling is seriously awful looking. Makes it look like a hotel conference room. Give me Cassell Coliseum any day of the week for smaller basketball venues, at least the interior. The exterior is hit or miss, but at least it's more architecturally interesting than the brick shoebox that is the Robins Center.

1041B-614-AB_Robins.jpg

It's like a cave. I'm sure it's great for the sound, but it looks awful. Feels like you are playing on the private court in some rich guy's basement.

How many more years should it be acceptable to the fans, given the players we have, for us to be at or near the bottom of the ACC? After the Villanova game I felt like this was at least a NIT team.

I still feel like this team has NIT level talent.

If we don't make the NCAAT next year then there's a problem.

162320625.0.jpg

Move the video boards to the corners where the seats go up, and add on some suites to where the video board is now behind each baseline. That would give you exactly what you want without looking like it was modular construction.

Wow! Alot more fans at a VT home game than at a Wake home game.

Go figure.... :tear:

Cassell Coliseum seats 9,567, the Joel seats 14,665.

They are also playing Duke in that picture. The announced attendance for the Wake-Duke game last year in Winston was 13,466, so 3,899 more than if VPI sold out their entire stadium.

So...no...there aren't "a lot" more fans at a VT home game than a Wake home game if we are comparing apples to apples.

Back