• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore

This take is completely wrong. Moore regularly sets moving screens. That one was blatant.

Furthermore, you all just think Moore simply needs to camp out near the hoop and swat shots. Teams like Northwestern can get around that. In this play, Moore is guarding the Center, Pardon, Arians is on Skelly. NU runs the pick and roll and Arians guards the under. PG makes the pass to Skelly, and Doral completely leaves his man under the hoop. Skelly then passes to Pardon for the wide open dunk.

There's a reason Moore is limited right now.

So what should have happened there? It looks like bad communication or coordination. Either Moore needs to stay with his man underneath and Arians needs to recover to the guy receiving the pass at the 3-pt line or Moore goes to the 3-pt line and Arians drops down to cover Moore's guy underneath. I don't know what they are taught for that situation but I don't think it was what happened. Moore has plenty to learn but he needs to be on the court to learn it. Him not playing in the second half at NW is just really perplexing to me.

Doral got 6 minutes yesterday. Had 5 rebounds by the way.

I have not seen any creativity in finding ways to get him the ball in the deep post. He is basically left to his own to establish his own position. He usually sets up about 10 feet from the basket which is not bad but causes issues when he has to dribble the ball or bump into his defender. I would like to see some low block screens to help establish his position closer to the basket. His hook shot is unblockable so if he can learn to make half of them then we have a good offensive play right there.

I thought he played pretty well yesterday. His presence made a difference defensively. I would like to see him learn to pass out of the low block. Haven't seen him do that much.

Maybe Manning just has really high standards for bigs and it will pay off eventually for Moore like it is paying off for Collins this year.

Trying to be positive.

I'd just like to see Moore work though his deficiencies.

Wrangor as a coach do you believe in giving live minutes to someone to see if they get it when your determination from practice tells you that you don't think they are ready? I heard a good discussion between Herm Edwards, Gruden, and Mike & Mike on the subject. The coaches were firmly against it although that was talking about the Jets QB sitch which is much more all or nothing than minutes on a basketball team.

I'm surprised by some of these posts. In the minutes he got yesterday, you could see he was pretty limited offensively. Yeah, he's really tall and can get boards. Offensively, they got him the ball multiple times and he wasn't exactly fluid once he got it. Not sure how this isn't obvious. Yes, he has a lot of potential and he's coming around. But we were playing against a Princeton offense that moves the big man out of the paint and moves the ball around.

We have 4 scholarship players, including Moore, who barely, if ever, see the court. This continues to bother me. I said in another post, we need to lose the rotation with Dinos in the middle. We have at least 3 or 4 legit bigs (JC, Doral, Sam, and Washington, although I am not exactly sure if both the freshmen are centers...because I haven't seen them play). I am concerned that McClinton, who is not a board favorite, is getting minutes while our freshmen, sans Childress, ride the pine.

Richard Washington isn't a big, maybe you're thinking of Donovan Mitchell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard Washington isn't a big, maybe you're thinking of Donovan Mitchell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. But he's similar in size to McClinton. The fact that Washington can't get those minutes does not bode well for his future contributions, especially in ACC play.

We have 4 scholarship players, including Moore, who barely, if ever, see the court. This continues to bother me. I said in another post, we need to lose the rotation with Dinos in the middle. We have at least 3 or 4 legit bigs (JC, Doral, Sam, and Washington, although I am not exactly sure if both the freshmen are centers...because I haven't seen them play). I am concerned that McClinton, who is not a board favorite, is getting minutes while our freshmen, sans Childress, ride the pine.

Unless you do the silliness of old UNC, most teams have 3-4 scholarship players who don't get PT.

Unless you do the silliness of old UNC, most teams have 3-4 scholarship players who don't get PT.

We are a team that coming out of last season didn't exactly have a deep bench (ala the referenced UNC). Two of those players were not considered by many board members to be ACC caliber players - many hoped McClinton would transfer or now graduate early, the other a walk on now on scholarship. It is not a stretch to wish our incoming freshman would be a notch above at least these two and garner some minutes. It is not a stretch since they haven't been able to, to be bothered by this and wonder what contributions they have to offer for the future.

We are a team that coming out of last season didn't exactly have a deep bench (ala the referenced UNC). Two of those players were not considered by many board members to be ACC caliber players - many hoped McClinton would transfer or now graduate early, the other a walk on now on scholarship. It is not a stretch to wish our incoming freshman would be a notch above at least these two and garner some minutes. It is not a stretch since they haven't been able to, to be bothered by this and wonder what contributions they have to offer for the future.

Van Horns yet to play meaningful minutes this year. So while Manning may think he's earned PT ahead of Rich Wash, its importance is minimal at best. We knew Washington needed to get his body ready for college play, so nothing has changed with him yet. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by his ball handling and still think he'll be a nice player for us over the next 3 years. I'm not sure anyone expected him to contribute much this year, unless less you though that the dearth of wings could open up an opportunity for him. And I've been critical of McClinton in the past, but as of now, he's our best option for guarding taller, athletic wings. Keyshawns a little too small to guard some and Dinos is too slow. Think this can only help in ACC play when we have to play against Tatum, Justin Jackson, and those type of players. And his offensive rebounding is an added bonus.

Van Horns yet to play meaningful minutes this year. So while Manning may think he's earned PT ahead of Rich Wash, its importance is minimal at best. We knew Washington needed to get his body ready for college play, so nothing has changed with him yet. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by his ball handling and still think he'll be a nice player for us over the next 3 years. I'm not sure anyone expected him to contribute much this year, unless less you though that the dearth of wings could open up an opportunity for him. And I've been critical of McClinton in the past, but as of now, he's our best option for guarding taller, athletic wings. Keyshawns a little too small to guard some and Dinos is too slow. Think this can only help in ACC play when we have to play against Tatum, Justin Jackson, and those type of players. And his offensive rebounding is an added bonus.

It is disappointing DM had to grab some guys who are projects in that class when we really needed kids who could come in and play right away.

It is disappointing DM had to grab some guys who are projects in that class when we really needed kids who could come in and play right away.

Well he got Arians and Woods (who is here for three years), so he could take some guys that weren't necessarily as highly rated. Do we want higher ranked kids? Obviously, but we recruited to fill our needs after we allocated a ton of resources to the Giles recruitment.

Well he got Arians and Woods (who is here for three years), so he could take some guys that weren't necessarily as highly rated. Do we want higher ranked kids? Obviously, but we recruited to fill our needs after we allocated a ton of resources to the Giles recruitment.

Our needs were players who can play right away at almost every position. He got two transfers, both of whom are contributing which is great. But there are 3 other guys who never see the floor, and it's not like there are All-ACC guys playing in front of them (Collins/Crawford excluded). I am glad DM tried to land Giles, but it was always a long shot. It would have been nice if there was a better plan B for that class. Those freshmen may end up being solid players, but we really needed guys who could be solid this year.

do we really need a bunch of freshmen seeing significant minutes this season? this is the best wake roster since 2010.

whose minutes need to be displaced so badly by some 4 star freshman this season? tough to see any non 5 star being much better than most of our rotation. i guess we could use a stud wing, like we have coming in next year, but even that is slightly offset by arians presence.

No we don't. The point is that the freshman may not be very good when we do need them.

Wrangor as a coach do you believe in giving live minutes to someone to see if they get it when your determination from practice tells you that you don't think they are ready? I heard a good discussion between Herm Edwards, Gruden, and Mike & Mike on the subject. The coaches were firmly against it although that was talking about the Jets QB sitch which is much more all or nothing than minutes on a basketball team.

You earn minutes in practice. The Coaches have a really good idea of what Moore is going to do when he hits the court. Heck, we have a pretty good idea. He is going to alter a few shots, mess up a few rotations, get a few rebounds and set at least 1 moving screen. That is just where he is right now. You don't improve all that much during a game. Games are there to show the improvement you have made during practice. You can certainly gain experience in games, which helps on a macro level, but as far as rotations, setting screens, and not fouling, that is pretty evident in practice. Apparently Manning doesn't think Moore is ready for more minutes, and I happen to agree based on what I have seen. This doesn't mean that Moore won't improve and deserve more minutes later in the season, but right now he hurts us more than he helps us.

Most truly big, big men take at least 1.5 years to develop. My thought all along with Moore is that he would start contributing some minutes at the end of this year, and then would be a consistent contributor next year (if things went well). 7'0" players are risky to recruit because of this exact reason. It is rare that they are ready to come in and contribute right away.

No we don't. The point is that the freshman may not be very good when we do need them.

like when, next year? next year we only lose arians (knock on wood) and add a top 30 recruit at the same position.

seems like we brought in SJM, Rich Wash, and DMitch at the perfect time as projects as they aren't depended on to play early at all.

Back