• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning is a horrible coach

If he's such a terrible coach how come we were Top 10 nationally in FG% and 3 point % as well as Top 25 in scoring and FT%?

Lol. You're isolating stats from the first 6 games of a season to prove a point about coaching while ignoring previous seasons and the latest game? After the Northwestern game, which should have improved our SOS, we are still ranked 123 for SOS. For someone who hates on stats as much as you do, it's funny to see you cherry pick stats from games against mostly shit competition to defend the 58 point stinker we just left on the court. Meanwhile, despite decent scoring numbers, our defensive and rebounding numbers suck butthole. I'm fairly sure the coach is responsible for those as well, or would you prefer to cherry pick some more?

I disagree that Danny Manning has failed.

There are certainly areas of improvement that are needed, but I still think we are headed on the right trajectory. Perhaps I'm just naive.

You were hoodwinked by one single dinner with he who shall not be named. Perhaps isn't the qualifier I would have used there. :thumbsup:

You were hoodwinked by one single dinner with he who shall not be named. Perhaps isn't the qualifier I would have used there. :thumbsup:

Not to throw him under the bus, but that was Cumberland who wrote the Jeff [Redacted] article from the dinner.

I wanted to give him time, and clearly that was wrong haha.

Danny does things that a very good assistant coach does - recruits, scouts & teaches in practice. He lacks in-game experience and execution, whether it is rotations, timeouts, adjustments or situational awareness. Would really love for him to get an experienced former head coach on the bench with him to help guide him.

Didn't look like it last night. :tard:

We also held the #8 3 point shooting team in the nation to under 25% last night. We held a team that was averaging about 80 ppg to 65 on their home court in spite one of our positions being embarrassed.

The bottom line is we played our worst game of the year, by far, and had it to a one possession game on the road against a quality opponent with 30.3 seconds to go.

Danny had a bad game. The team had a bad game and we were still competitive with a good team. It sucked, but we are making progress.

But the internet warriors expect a team without a Top 50 player to play like a Top 15 team every night. That's not about the team. It's about the posters.

Not to throw him under the bus, but that was Cumberland who wrote the Jeff [name redacted] article from the dinner.

I wanted to give him time, and clearly that was wrong haha.

all you 2-28ers look alike to me

We also held the #8 3 point shooting team in the nation to under 25% last night. We held a team that was averaging about 80 ppg to 65 on their home court in spite one of our positions being embarrassed.

The bottom line is we played our worst game of the year, by far, and had it to a one possession game on the road against a quality opponent with 30.3 seconds to go.

Danny had a bad game. The team had a bad game and we were still competitive with a good team. It sucked, but we are making progress.

But the internet warriors expect a team without a Top 50 player to play like a Top 15 team every night. That's not about the team. It's about the posters.

tumblr_ocbsa3WZvz1r0ajmso8_500.gif

Ugh, Northwestern played like dog shit last night, too. They missed what had to be close to 10 wide open 3s. You can't just say Wake played poorly, while completely ignoring the fact that the other team played just as poorly.

I disagree that Danny Manning has failed.

There are certainly areas of improvement that are needed, but I still think we are headed on the right trajectory. Perhaps I'm just naive.

The players are batter and this is a credit to Manning. The coaching is not better at all.

Never should have fired Bdzelik or the guy before him. He was trending upwards and had improved win/losses every year. His last season was 17-16 with wins over UNC, Duke and State. Bz was building a culture and program that would have lasted. Still not sure why he was fired. Manning should be given 6-7 years to develop his own program, you cant keep running off coaches every 4 years and expecting to compete.

Never should have fired Bdzelik or the guy before him. He was trending upwards and had improved win/losses every year. His last season was 17-16 with wins over UNC, Duke and State. Bz was building a culture and program that would have lasted. Still not sure why he was fired. Manning should be given 6-7 years to develop his own program, you cant keep running off coaches every 4 years and expecting to compete.
Nah

The jurys still out on Manning, but his in-game coaching hasn't seemed to get any better the past 3 years, which is a pretty big cause for concern. Luckily, this is only one facet of coaching and he seems to be a plus recruiter and player development. IIRC, he only took two timeouts last night - the "use it or lose it" t/o at the end of the 1st half and one in the final minute. Considering how poorly our team was playing throughout the whole game, I'm not sure why Manning didnt think calling a t/o would be beneficial at some point. This isn't all that surprising though. I was sitting right behind Wake's bench at 2 of the games in Charleston, and it blew my mind how little communication he had with his team during the games. Literally probably said about 20 words all game. Just strange.

I think his sub patterns have gotten better as his bench has gotten better. I think his use of different defenses has gotten better as his personnel has gotten better.

We have no idea what's being said in the huddle or at halftime in terms of adjustments to say whether this is a coaching or execution problem. Luckily, good shooting masks bad coaching, and if we can shoot this year, we're gonna win more games than the last couple years. Last night was just an awful shooting night and y'all are blowing this way out of proportion. Manning might not be the guy, but Jesus y'all are reactionary. The talent he's had for the past couple seasons before this one...it's tough to judge. He's got more of his guys in now and we already look a helluva lot better.

I think his sub patterns have gotten better as his bench has gotten better. I think his use of different defenses has gotten better as his personnel has gotten better.

We have no idea what's being said in the huddle or at halftime in terms of adjustments to say whether this is a coaching or execution problem. Luckily, good shooting masks bad coaching, and if we can shoot this year, we're gonna win more games than the last couple years. Last night was just an awful shooting night and y'all are blowing this way out of proportion. Manning might not be the guy, but Jesus y'all are reactionary. The talent he's had for the past couple seasons before this one...it's tough to judge. He's got more of his guys in now and we already look a helluva lot better.

TITCR

Sarcasm meter adjustment needed?

These in the "heat of the loss threads" are this Board at its worst.

We all hate losing, but when you shoot 35% from two, and 23% from three and are minus 9 in turnovers, you are going to lose. As badly as WF played, WF had a chance to win in the last 2 minutes. The game fell within 2 points of the expected outcome based upon the KP ratings and the LV line. It's not like WF lost to Coastal Carolina. NW is a solid middle of the pack Big 10 team. Hopefully, WF will be a middle of the pack ACC team. WF lost on the road as an underdog to another Power V conference school; deal with it.

Bryant Crawford had an unimaginably horrible game, but Danny stuck with him because for WF to be the best it can for this season; Crawford needs to learn how to deal with a good defensive team that challenges the passing lanes. Hopefully Crawford (and the rest of the team, and the staff) learned from the game.

Manning will not be fired. He has raised the talent level of the program, and players have improved under his watch. Let's see how the season plays out before making assessments.

I'm not saying Danny is a worldb eater, but how much has JC improved? Dinos?

If he's such a terrible coach how come we were Top 10 nationally in FG% and 3 point % as well as Top 25 in scoring and FT%?

#rjkomedianwilldefend

Back