• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning is a horrible coach

Frustrating game where we kept forcing up shots and allowing one guy to essentially beat us singlehandedly. We can see it as fans. Surely, the coaches can see it as well. Most coaches call the time out and make defensive adjustmen's or run a play to try to regain confidence and momentum. Ours didn't.

I think his sub patterns have gotten better as his bench has gotten better. I think his use of different defenses has gotten better as his personnel has gotten better.

We have no idea what's being said in the huddle or at halftime in terms of adjustments to say whether this is a coaching or execution problem. Luckily, good shooting masks bad coaching, and if we can shoot this year, we're gonna win more games than the last couple years. Last night was just an awful shooting night and y'all are blowing this way out of proportion. Manning might not be the guy, but Jesus y'all are reactionary. The talent he's had for the past couple seasons before this one...it's tough to judge. He's got more of his guys in now and we already look a helluva lot better.

Funny how when everyone is hitting shots and we're winning, suddenly Manning's rotations are "much better." When nobody can hit anything and he's forced to go to the bench to find someone to pick up the slack, his rotations are "all over the place."

It's also pretty naive to expect Wake to jump from the [Redacted] years and land a coach who's an amazing recruiter, talent scout, in-game performer, and strategic mastermind. Hard to argue that Manning hasn't upgraded the talent in the program significantly in a short amount of time. I'm guessing we'll be picked to make the tourney next year which is a pretty good trajectory based on where we were. So if we get a few years of Manning developing a coaching style, getting better at in-game strategy decisions, etc... That's what historically terrible years do to your program.

I think Manning will be a great coach in the long run. He needs some time.

Funny how when everyone is hitting shots and we're winning, suddenly Manning's rotations are "much better." When nobody can hit anything and he's forced to go to the bench to find someone to pick up the slack, his rotations are "all over the place."

It's also pretty naive to expect Wake to jump from the [Redacted] years and land a coach who's an amazing recruiter, talent scout, in-game performer, and strategic mastermind. Hard to argue that Manning hasn't upgraded the talent in the program significantly in a short amount of time. I'm guessing we'll be picked to make the tourney next year which is a pretty good trajectory based on where we were. So if we get a few years of Manning developing a coaching style, getting better at in-game strategy decisions, etc... That's what historically terrible years do to your program.

Different coach. Same apologist.

Who is saying his rotations are better? They are only better in that he does not have as many bad choices as he had last year. Wilbekin is still starting. TVH has played meaningful minutes in games. Moore is picking splinters out of his ass. McClinton is playing way too many minutes. He refuses to play two non 3-point shooting bigs at the same time. Nothing has changed. How is that possible?

A lot of stupid going on in this thread. Manning might not be the best HC out there but he is by far not the worst, and not the worst in the ACC. He is still new to the HC game, maybe got the job a little early but has made good strides. Do you really think that firing a guy after finally rebuilding the roster (next year will be all of his own players), has brought in the best recruits that we couldn't even got a look from the previous 5 years and has shown to be a good teacher of big men.

give the guy a little more time, three years (this is only his third) from the shit storm he inherited is not enough. Besides, this is the best team we have had for a while and if BC had any semblance of his normal game last night things would have been different.

A lot of stupid going on in this thread. Manning might not be the best HC out there but he is by far not the worst, and not the worst in the ACC. He is still new to the HC game, maybe got the job a little early but has made good strides. Do you really think that firing a guy after finally rebuilding the roster (next year will be all of his own players), has brought in the best recruits that we couldn't even got a look from the previous 5 years and has shown to be a good teacher of big men.

give the guy a little more time, three years (this is only his third) from the shit storm he inherited is not enough. Besides, this is the best team we have had for a while and if BC had any semblance of his normal game last night things would have been different.

trump-youre-fired-2.jpg

But other than that . . . .

Which is why I think he's would be a great assistant coach in charge of the post players. His offensive and defensive systems and game management leave a lot to be desired.

But other than offense, defense, and game management, he rocks!!

Am I the only one concerned with the lack of contributions of our other three freshmen? As I recall, of the four, Childress was the one a lot of people on the board thought might be a player by his junior year. But, I thought there were expectations surrounding Mitchell and one of the bigs. Recruiting is way up, but are those scholarships expected to produce overall improvement?

Am I the only one concerned with the lack of contributions of our other three freshmen? As I recall, of the four, Childress was the one a lot of people on the board thought might be a player by his junior year. But, I thought there were expectations surrounding Mitchell and one of the bigs. Recruiting is way up, but are those scholarships expected to produce overall improvement?

Good question. Van Horn and McClinton seeing the floor over them isn't a good sign. That being said, they are freshmen.

While facts should never stand in the way of an ignorant argument, Trent Van Horn is not seeing any significant minutes. He didn't play at all against either Nova or NW. He hasn't played more than 5 minutes in any game, and the ones when he played were blowouts.

Wake is effectively playing an 8 man lineup with a 9th player getting spot minutes here and there. That 9th player has varied between Moore and McClinton based on match-ups.

Trent VanHorn got "meaningful minutes" probably once, and that was in two, two minute spurts against College of Charleston. He's played 17 minutes all year.

These in the "heat of the loss threads" are this Board at its worst.

We all hate losing, but when you shoot 35% from two, and 23% from three and are minus 9 in turnovers, you are going to lose. As badly as WF played, WF had a chance to win in the last 2 minutes. The game fell within 2 points of the expected outcome based upon the KP ratings and the LV line. It's not like WF lost to Coastal Carolina. NW is a solid middle of the pack Big 10 team. Hopefully, WF will be a middle of the pack ACC team. WF lost on the road as an underdog to another Power V conference school; deal with it.

Bryant Crawford had an unimaginably horrible game, but Danny stuck with him because for WF to be the best it can for this season; Crawford needs to learn how to deal with a good defensive team that challenges the passing lanes. Hopefully Crawford (and the rest of the team, and the staff) learned from the game.

Manning will not be fired. He has raised the talent level of the program, and players have improved under his watch. Let's see how the season plays out before making assessments.

I understand this was an all around terrible game. I think we can all agree that Danny would benefit from a senior assistant coach to help with in game strategy and adjustments. His recruiting seems improved over the previous regime. What is confusing to me is why people believe he has developed our players. Crawford, Wilbekin, Dinos, McLinton and especially Moore have made no improvement. Crawford continues to make the same mistakes he did all last year and Moore still looks just as lost. I hope Danny succeeds and that our players develop to their full potential, but I am not seeing the progress.

I understand this was an all around terrible game. I think we can all agree that Danny would benefit from a senior assistant coach to help with in game strategy and adjustments. His recruiting seems improved over the previous regime. What is confusing to me is why people believe he has developed our players. Crawford, Wilbekin, Dinos, McLinton and especially Moore have made no improvement. Crawford continues to make the same mistakes he did all last year and Moore still looks just as lost. I hope Danny succeeds and that our players develop to their full potential, but I am not seeing the progress.

I mean this just isn't true. Do you mean improvement outside of standard year-to-year improvement? If so then maybe we can discuss it. The overall "no improvement at all" is just blatantly incorrect.

I mean this just isn't true. Do you mean improvement outside of standard year-to-year improvement? If so then maybe we can discuss it. The overall "no improvement at all" is just blatantly incorrect.

Conveniently left Collins off that list... Dinos looks like an entirely different player this year...

Crawford had a terrible game. Everyone gets that. He's also one of exactly 2 players in the entire ACC averaging 6 or more assists per game so far.

Endless amount of #hottakes. I feel like this giant uproar has something to do with emotions flying all over the place after losing to BC and then NW last night in a poor performance by our guards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with DCDeac. Not sure he'll be a "great" coach, but I do think he will be a very solid coach for us. And he does need time. Coach K was 11-17 after his 3rd year at Duke. After 5 years at Army and 3 at Duke, his record was 111-106. Folks here need to chill. Last night was a single, horrible game. But things can be corrected moving forward. We've got a terrific young talent in John Collins and Dinos is providing a lot of help on the boards. Our outside shooting is dramatically improved. The freshmen will get a chance to play if they can earn it during practice. This team isn't anywhere near as bad as they performed last night.

Back