• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning is a horrible coach

Odds according to KP of a road win:

BC - 70%
NC State - 34%
FSU - 26%
VPI - 26%
Clemson 25%
Notre Dame - 23%
Cuse - 17%
UVA - 8%
Duke - 6%

Expected to go 2.35 - 6.65 on the road this year in conference play.

Home:

BC - 89%
Georgia Tech - 78%
Pitt - 61%
State - 60%
Clemson - 50%
Miami - 47%
Louisville - 30%
UNC - 19%
Duke - 19%

Expected to go 4.53 - 4.47 in home play

Total: 6.88 - 11.12

Last edited:
Actually, Buzz is a better bench coach than Manning. Buzz' problems were that he had no personality, didn't relate that well to his players and couldn't recruit. Don't know that much about Manning's personality (he seems rather quiet) or how well he relates to his players....but there is no doubt that is a much, much, much better recruiter. We would have won more games if we had Manning recruiting the players and Buzz coaching them.

VPI has built their team primarily through transfers.

Wake has started that with Woods and a couple of grad transfers, but Williams did that right off the bat.

Actually, Buzz is a better bench coach than Manning. Buzz' problems were that he had no personality, didn't relate that well to his players and couldn't recruit. Don't know that much about Manning's personality (he seems rather quiet) or how well he relates to his players....but there is no doubt that is a much, much, much better recruiter. We would have won more games if we had Manning recruiting the players and Buzz coaching them.

Manning is still superior overall to [Redacted] IMO. Gaudio couldn't coach but was a good/great recruiter.

It's a bit strange that Manning hasn't won an ACC game on the road yet. Odds are he wins at least a couple this year.

He's won 6 true road games, which is 2 more than [Redacted] won in four years at the helm here.

2va8m.jpg

Bz won 1 ACC road game in his first three years and it was against the worst team in ACC history. He got a second win in year 4 against an awful VaTech team. Manning hasn't played an ACC team with 150 kenpom rankings of the Bz win at BC or one within 70 of the Bz win at VaTech.

People are upset not because we lost but how we lost. We looked like an AAU team playing its second game of the day with no regard to time or score and Manning sitting there looking like he was wondering where they were going to eat dinner before the third game.

This. If you watched that game and are not concerned, you don't understand basketball.

I'm torn on this but it seems the same mistakes keep happening that have little to do with better recruiting: poor defense positioning/movement/scheme, strange rotations, poor end of game management, silly fouls, turnovers. This is heavily reliant on coaching. Making shots and free-throws have improved greatly, but I see that more as a talent/confidence issue than coaching.

As terrible as Bz was, his last season was over .500 with a few good wins. Are we convinced we will do better than that this year, which I think we all agree is a better roster? If we are looking at another NIT bubble type season in year 3, following a weak but not devastating final-season record from Bz... how much improvement have we really made and what is there to lose looking in a different direction? I'm wait and see for now, but this isn't an outrageous argument.

Ha. I remember when this exact argument was made for [name redacted].

Last night was a single horrible game, to add to lots of horrible games over the last two seasons. That is something we call a pattern.
But the prevailing theory was [name redacted] was so bad it would take 5 years to recover after he left. Isn't that the pattern? It was predicted.

People are upset not because we lost but how we lost. We looked like an AAU team playing its second game of the day with no regard to time or score and Manning sitting there looking like he was wondering where they were going to eat dinner before the third game.
And if that continues we won't win many games and it'll take care of itself. But I've seen Wake teams under prior coaches play the same lazy way.

IMO the team looked like it didn't have a strong floor leader. I get the impression Manning is looking for JC to step up but doesn't want to force it. It's his team right now. Mike Tomlin does the same thing.

Who do you think we should hire instead?

Fortunately, that's the AD's job. A fan need not have a list of potential hires in order to have the opinion that the current coach is incapable of doing the job. Unfortunately, our AD didn't seem to have anyone in mind when he fired [Redacted], so we ended up with the inexperienced unknown in Manning

Fortunately, that's the AD's job. A fan need not have a list of potential hires in order to have the opinion that the current coach is incapable of doing the job. Unfortunately, our AD didn't seem to have anyone in mind when he fired [Redacted], so we ended up with the inexperienced unknown in Manning

The bold is a completely asinine statement.

So you want to repeal, but you don't have anybody to replace?

Gotcha.

Back