• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning is a horrible coach

Where do you place Crawford in the pecking order of PGs in the ACC?

I'd put him in a tie for 4th:

1. Smith, NCST -he's putting up great numbers and is a jet
2. Berry, UNC - I'm shocked to be saying this, but he has been a beast so far this year
3. Jackson, Duke - solid
4. Crawford
4. Perrantes, UVA- he's off to a bit of a slow start, but he is really clutch and a leader

Snider, L'ville, is a bit inconsistent
Robinson, VT, is coming on but i'm not yet convinced.

Last edited:
Manning hasn't made one coaching move in over 2 years which has made me think "nice coaching". But he has made many bone headed decisions ( Virginia game last year, continuing to give the ball to CMM with the game on the line, Pitt game last year, etc, etc. ) He has recruited shooters and upgraded the roster significantly with the help of Chill. He needs to get it done with game coaching this year or we will lose tons of winnable games again. That can continue for only so long. He can't just roll the ball out like Roy and K with our talent level. He has to do some coaching like Tacy, Odom and Prosser ( on offense) but I'm skeptical about his ability to do it.

Wow! One bad road game and there are posters longing for the <name redacted> days? Unbelievable. I guess it's a similar compulsion as when you break up with someone, you try to get back together with the ex-flame. There is some comfort in what you know but you usually realized there was a reason for the breakup in the first place.

For his first six games, Crawford 50/33/75 38/8 ato (4.75 ratio). Then he has a terrible game and many here lose their shit.

I'd put him in a tie for 4th:

1. Smith, NCST -he's putting up great numbers and is a jet
2. Berry, UNC - I'm shocked to be saying this, but he has been a beast so far this year
3. Jackson, Duke - solid
4. Crawford
4. Perrantes, UVA- he's off to a bit of a slow start, but he is really clutch and a leader

Snider, L'ville, is a bit inconsistent
Robinson, VT, is coming on but i'm not yet convinced.

You put Crawford tied with Perrantes? You've got to be kidding.

Haha if I spent all day doing it then I'm sure I could crank out more than 200 words. Hell you just cranked out 83 words yourself.

Also, all jokes aside, saying nothing will change until somebody "puts a bullet in Wellman" is pretty disgusting.

Yes. Save the bullet for the dwarves

doofus has the same five as I do but has Jackson an d Crawford vying for 4/5.

Ol' Roy gets out-coached by Crean, who got out-coached by Manning. Oh, shit! Calendar-reading is fundamental.

At the risk of sounding LOWF -esque, Wake has some legitimate excuses for struggling to compete in football, even with the new training facilities. Recruiting will always be an uphill battle given the lack of a winning tradition, small fanbase, small stadium, limited media exposure etc. We shouldn't have lost to BC and Army this year...but Wake football teams are always fragments of good, really good, and bad players. 2006 was lightning in a bottle.

There's no excuse in basketball, though. With the right coach Wake could build a ACC championship and final four/national title program. I got blasted for ripping the Manning hire when it happened, but Wellman underachieved again when he brought DM on board. He didn't get the #1 coach in the country (Shaka) so, like a college guy going hoggin' after the cute sorority girl turns him down, Wellman just took a low tier unimaginative hire. Manning could barely get through the introductory press conference. He just gets overwhelmed. Probably a great one on one teacher and recruiter, runs and manages a clean program, but not a gamer. The Nothwestern loss was pathetic.

Wake could be a national power in basketball. Great location, conference, and facilities (at least they will be soon). We just need a good game coach.

At the risk of sounding LOWF -esque, Wake has some legitimate excuses for struggling to compete in football, even with the new training facilities. Recruiting will always be an uphill battle given the lack of a winning tradition, small fanbase, small stadium, limited media exposure etc. We shouldn't have lost to BC and Army this year...but Wake football teams are always fragments of good, really good, and bad players. 2006 was lightning in a bottle.

There's no excuse in basketball, though. With the right coach Wake could build a ACC championship and final four/national title program. I got blasted for ripping the Manning hire when it happened, but Wellman underachieved again when he brought DM on board. He didn't get the #1 coach in the country (Shaka) so, like a college guy going hoggin' after the cute sorority girl turns him down, Wellman just took a low tier unimaginative hire. Manning could barely get through the introductory press conference. He just gets overwhelmed. Probably a great one on one teacher and recruiter, runs and manages a clean program, but not a gamer. The Nothwestern loss was pathetic.

Wake could be a national power in basketball. Great location, conference, and facilities (at least they will be soon). We just need a good game coach.

Wellman took what he could get after he and [Redacted] fucked the program. Sadly, we were probably lucky to get Manning.

Wellman took what he could get after he and [Redacted] fucked the program. Sadly, we were probably lucky to get Manning.

I just don't agree with this. I have seen no evidence that Wake went after other name coaches. Wake may have had to offer a few more dollars to make up for the Wellman/BZ fiasco, but I saw no evidence that we went after all of these other better coaches.

I just don't agree with this. I have seen no evidence that Wake went after other name coaches. Wake may have had to offer a few more dollars to make up for the Wellman/BZ fiasco, but I saw no evidence that we went after all of these other better coaches.

Who knows, honestly. It has been mentioned on here before, coaches may not be willing to consider Wake because of Wellman. The way Gaudio was treated, I could certainly see that as being possible.

Who knows, honestly. It has been mentioned on here before, coaches may not be willing to consider Wake because of Wellman. The way Gaudio was treated, I could certainly see that as being possible.

Patently absurd. He gave bz a crazy long leash, as he did Grobe.

Low tier, unimaginative to hire a college basketball legend who learned the game from legends? A guy who was considered a "coach on the floor" in college and the pros. A guy who paid almost a decade of dues at a truly blue blood program. A guy who turned another program around. A guy who can get into recruits' homes.

Given the fact that you had decided Danny would fail before he even coached one game, using logic with you is probably useless. But explain to me how a bad game coach (I'm not saying he's Izzo or Crean or Ryan) turn our offense around so dramatically without any Top 50 talent?

The NW loss sucked, but on Tuesday night Pop lost to the Heat with a full Spurs squad. The 72-10 Bulls lost to the last place Raptors. NW is hardly that bad. They were ranked ahead of us, favored and were playing at home. We played the worst game of the season and it was still a one possession game with 30.3 seconds to go.

We should have won, but they aren't chopped liver.

I think most people dislike Manning because of what they have seen the first two years, and the loss against Northwestern has just reignited that.

I don't necessarily disagree that the first two years (especially last year) were disappointments, but I do disagree that the NU game was in that same vein.

Low tier, unimaginative to hire a college basketball legend who learned the game from legends? A guy who was considered a "coach on the floor" in college and the pros. A guy who paid almost a decade of dues at a truly blue blood program. A guy who turned another program around. A guy who can get into recruits' homes.

Given the fact that you had decided Danny would fail before he even coached one game, using logic with you is probably useless. But explain to me how a bad game coach (I'm not saying he's Izzo or Crean or Ryan) turn our offense around so dramatically without any Top 50 talent?

The NW loss sucked, but on Tuesday night Pop lost to the Heat with a full Spurs squad. The 72-10 Bulls lost to the last place Raptors. NW is hardly that bad. They were ranked ahead of us, favored and were playing at home. We played the worst game of the season and it was still a one possession game with 30.3 seconds to go.

We should have won, but they aren't chopped liver.

It is amazing that Wake got one of the hottest up and coming coaches ever. Do we know when he will be arriving on campus?

No he didn't. We had Shaka, but Hatch fucked it.

After Shaka, the only other top coach that we may have had a shot at was Archie Miller and reports were he wasn't leaving at that time. Other that HOF Howland (who has done nothing with more talent), who was out there? Buzz wasn't available. He had called VT and got a job that wasn't even open when he started talking with them. White, FL, hadn't been led a high D1 program.

Danny has a great pedigree and succeeded at tough place after being at a Top 4 program for a decade.

This. No coach wants a job where losing to the #1 team in the country in the 2nd round of the NCAAs gets you fired.

Back