• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning is a horrible coach

I think most people dislike Manning because of what they have seen the first two years, and the loss against Northwestern has just reignited that.

I don't necessarily disagree that the first two years (especially last year) were disappointments, but I do disagree that the NU game was in that same vein.

Pretty spot on. Just reinforced the idea that Manning may be in over his head. I would just be happy if I saw defensive improvement.

Talent seems better, but Wake never wins a lot just on talent. The recipe for Wake is good talent, but a step below elite, and above average bench coaching. Wake will never just straight up out-talent the best this league has to offer.

This. No coach wants a job where losing to the #1 team in the country in the 2nd round of the NCAAs gets you fired.

Or how many want to take a job at a program they know will take several years to rebuild? It's one thing to have a program in a slump. We were quite another. Our program had been crashed and burned and we had embarrassed the hottest, young, name coach before coming to the next guy.

No he didn't. We had Shaka, but Hatch fucked it.

After Shaka, the only other top coach that we may have had a shot at was Archie Miller and reports were he wasn't leaving at that time. Other that HOF Howland (who has done nothing with more talent), who was out there? Buzz wasn't available. He had called VT and got a job that wasn't even open when he started talking with them. White, FL, hadn't been led a high D1 program.

Danny has a great pedigree and succeeded at tough place after being at a Top 4 program for a decade.
Sure...

I think most people dislike Manning because of what they have seen the first two years, and the loss against Northwestern has just reignited that.

I don't necessarily disagree that the first two years (especially last year) were disappointments, but I do disagree that the NU game was in that same vein.

We could have won a couple more games over the past couple of years, but realistically we did about as well as we could have.

The coach didn't miss all those FTs against UVA. Plus the sets got the ball to the guys we wanted to shoot at the end.

Losing your shit over an away game, where were underdogs is the epitome of internet warriorship.

No he didn't. We had Shaka, but Hatch fucked it.

After Shaka, the only other top coach that we may have had a shot at was Archie Miller and reports were he wasn't leaving at that time. Other that HOF Howland (who has done nothing with more talent), who was out there? Buzz wasn't available. He had called VT and got a job that wasn't even open when he started talking with them. White, FL, hadn't been led a high D1 program.

Danny has a great pedigree and succeeded at tough place after being at a Top 4 program for a decade.

Please explain?

Hatch boned Shaka's wife.

In essence he did. Part of the deal was giving Shaka's wife a full professorship position. She graduated from Harvard and Northwestern. Hatch reneged on the promise at the last minute thinking Shaka would take the money anyway. The insult was too great.

In essence he did. Part of the deal was giving Shaka's wife a full professorship position. She graduated from Harvard and Northwestern. Hatch reneged on the promise at the last minute thinking Shaka would take the money anyway. The insult was too great.
Bull. Shit.

Or, Shaka's dive on the floor, and Navy Seal pre-season drills were starting to wear a little thin after the Final Four run. I. for one. did not want him to be the next Wake coach. But I did not, and never have, had Wellman's ear. If I did, I would wrap it and send it to some chick I used to know.

Lots of conjecture here unless rj knows something that was never made public.

Or, Shaka's dive on the floor, and Navy Seal pre-season drills were starting to wear a little thin after the Final Four run. I. for one. did not want him to be the next Wake coach. But I did not, and never have, had Wellman's ear. If I did, I would wrap it and send it to some chick I used to know.
If you wouldn't have been happy with getting Shaka Smart immediately after the Bz debacle, you're absolutely insane.

I wrote Alyssa Milano a letter back in elementary school. She wrote me back and it was definitely from her and not some fan club response!

Wouldn't make such a statement without multiple sources who were knew.

this was the only one posted on the boards, with follow-up posts suggesting she didn't like Winston

Shaka might have wanted to come to Wake. But the wife said no. Wellman is on to plan B. Meeting with him today.

so again, unless you know something that was never made public...

Fwiw, we pay Manning 1.3m per year.

Given that, it's hard to believe that we offered Shaka 3m per year.

To be fair, RJ has sent me a bunch of stuff over the years that is pretty spot on well before they actually happened.

I have no idea how it applies to this case because I didn't hear anything about Shaka/his wife, but he has in the past had reliable sources.

Back