• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Final Four

Meanwhile, Buckeyes sit on their butts. PSU Big Ten Champs. Beat OSU. No reward. This system is now proven to be no better than the BCS.

It is so easy to come up with a scenario where a Top 4 team does not win a conference title and still deserves a bid.

OSU and Michigan are unbeaten instead of each sitting on one loss. They are ranked 2-3 in the country or even 1-2. It's the last game of the year. And it is a close game. Michigan loses. They don't get to play for the conference title. OSU then goes and beats some 2 loss team from the other division. Michigan is the only 1 loss team in the nation. They don't deserve a bid because they didn't win their conference title?

Now if your argument is PSU deserves to go because they beat OSU and you simply believe they are the better team, that's reasonable. But if the argument is you have to win your conference, that strikes me as bogus.

It is so easy to come up with a scenario where a Top 4 team does not win a conference title and still deserves a bid.

OSU and Michigan are unbeaten instead of each sitting on one loss. They are ranked 2-3 in the country or even 1-2. It's the last game of the year. And it is a close game. Michigan loses. They don't get to play for the conference title. OSU then goes and beats some 2 loss team from the other division. Michigan is the only 1 loss team in the nation. They don't deserve a bid because they didn't win their conference title?

Now if your argument is PSU deserves to go because they beat OSU and you simply believe they are the better team, that's reasonable. But if the argument is you have to win your conference, that strikes me as bogus.

Michigan did deserve bid until they lost that game.

Of course it's bogus. Devil's advocate. I'm just baiting the committee on how much they talked about the importance of conference championships the first two years.

One thing that is not controversial. Great night of football to end the regular season. I was working that remote "last channel" hard.

A friendly reminder the Jets spent a 2nd round pick on Christian Hackenberg.

I was going to say I'm all in for PSU over OSU but after seeing their fans celebrating nope nope and nope.

Absolutely. Better than OSU fans.

CyNY3xJVIAQkYl3.jpg

All sports fans are complete douchebags.

Self included

Herbie with a hard-on for the Big Ten. SURPRISE!

He gave Penn State no chance, now he says they're in the playoff because he's "reacting" to their game. Nice foresight

Should be:
1. Bama
2. Washington
3. Clemson
4. Penn St

Will be:
1.Bama
2.Clemson
3.OSU
4.Penn St

ESPN has brainwashed the majority of America into thinking OSU is a Top 4 team by running up the score on Rutgers, Bowling Green, Maryland, Tulsa, etc. However, when they face a decent team or go on the road they barely squeak out a W (4 points over NW, 1 point over MSU, OT against Wisky, 2OT against Michigan). In fact, ESPN is right now all ready implying Penn St has very little chance of gen into The Playoffs, and should be happy with The Rose Bowl. It's really simple Penn St beat OSU head to head, and Penn St won The Big 10. The only reason the resumes of Penn St and OSU should be compared is if they never played head to head.

On the other hand, if you wanted to compare the resumes of OSU and Washington, then that would be much more logical because they didn't play each other. I have a feeling that Washington is going to get left out because they are going to point to non-conference schedules and say OSU beat the Big 12 Champ, Oklahoma on the road, and Washington's best win was against Rutgers. This was the argument that was made against TCU/Baylor in the first year. They said neither of the latter teams played anyone of substance out of conference, OSU at least played VTech (it ended up being a bad loss) but won The Big 10 Title Game by 50-60 points.

However, if Penn St is left out over OSU, then IMO the CFPC has lost all credibility in my eyes because it goes against everything they have stated that the last 2 years which are (1) SOS (2) head to head (3) winning conference title. Effectively they will be stating that winning the conference championship has no value. The only scenario that I could understand a nonconference winner getting in the CFP and the conference winner being left out was if Wisconsin won tonight. Wisconsin lost to both OSU and Michigan (The chances of the latter occurring on a regular basis are very very slim)

Last edited:
All sports fans are complete douchebags.

Self included

As are networks. So ESPN has Gene Wojciechowski, a quasi respected reporter, outside Michigan Stadium at 12:20 tonight for a report on the Michigan angle to all of this? The depths we have sunk.

Should be:
1. Bama
2. Washington
3. Clemson
4. Penn St

Will be:
1.Bama
2.Clemson
3.OSU
4.Penn St

ESPN has brainwashed the majority of America into thinking OSU is a Top 4 team by running up the score on Rutgers, Bowling Green, Maryland, Tulsa, etc. However, when they face a decent team or go on the road they barely squeak out a W (4 points over NW, 1 point over MSU, OT against Wisky, 2OT against Michigan). In fact, ESPN is right now all ready implying Penn St has very little chance of gen into The Playoffs, and should be happy with The Rose Bowl. It's really simple Penn St beat OSU head to head, and Penn St won The Big 10. The only reason the resumes of Penn St and OSU should be compared is if they never played head to head.

On the other hand, if you wanted to compare the resumes of OSU and Washington, then that would be much more logical because they didn't play each other. I have a feeling that Washington is going to get left out because they are going to point to non-conference schedules and say OSU beat the Big 12 Champ, Oklahoma on the road, and Washington's best win was against Rutgers. This was the argument that was made against TCU/Baylor in the first year. They said neither of the latter teams played anyone of substance out of conference, OSU at least played VTech (it ended up being a bad loss) but won The Big 10 Title Game by 50-60 points.

However, if Penn St is left out over OSU, then IMO the CFPC has lost all credibility in my eyes because it goes against everything they have stated that the last 2 years which are (1) SOS (2) head to head (3) winning conference title

Honestly, if Penn State gets in over Washington, I may just give up on college football until the eight team playoff.

Honestly, if Penn State gets in over Washington, I may just give up on college football until the eight team playoff.

Especially considering they would have gotten in by virtue of Washington playing on Friday instead of Saturday and playing games after sports writers went night night.

Should be:
1. Bama
2. Washington
3. Clemson
4. Penn St

Will be:
1.Bama
2.Clemson
3.OSU
4.Penn St

However, if Penn St is left out over OSU, then IMO the CFPC has lost all credibility in my eyes because it goes against everything they have stated that the last 2 years which are (1) SOS (2) head to head (3) winning conference title. Effectively they will be stating that winning the conference championship has no value. The only scenario that I could understand was if Wisconsin won tonight, and was left out for OSU because Wisconsin lost to both OSU and Michigan (The chances of the latter occurring on a regular basis are very very slim)

I agree Bama. I really do think they ought to leave out OSU because they were not in the title game and did not win it. They do not have the 13th game point and Penn St did beat them. I don't grab on to the theory that so & so team lost 2 compared to another team losing 1 making them worse because in theory then you have to put Western Michigan in with 0 losses along with Bama. What if Michigan for instance had actually played & lost to Bama & Ohio St [1 & 2 right now] and finished 2nd to OSU in the Big Ten East, thus missing out on the championship game. I could very easily have them in the CFP tomorrow. But instead they lost to an unranked Iowa so thusly they get to be no higher than #6 because either Washington or Penn St will be higher.

Back