• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Final Four

so what you're saying is that context beyond h2h results matter? got it.

yeah, i've stated as much within the last two pages of this thread. i've also tried to outline a case for psu over osu while appropriately weighting their head-to-head result. i'm not sure that i would go with psu over osu, because i think the converse argument is compelling, but i am annoyed that the committee has seemingly made the buckeyes a lock.

Washington has to be a lock. One loss team that blew out a top 10 team in conference title game and won a power 5 conference.

game for the selection show: drink every time herbstreit chubs up while discussing the Big 10.

I realize you're not entirely serious here, because you realize it's not that simple, but the serious response is because sometimes teams lose to lesser opponents. And the result of that match-up only becomes relevant when the teams otherwise have very similar resumes.

Personally, it irks me that the committee has apparently already written OSU's ticken, because I think Washington should be a lock and all of today's angst should be OSU vs. PSU. Speaking to that, the reasons for choosing PSU over OSU are, in order of importance, 1) they're a conference champion, 2) the Big 10 is the best conference this year, and 3) they won the head-to-head match-up.

Oh, I know full well what's going on. It's the same thing that always goes on with college football. Ohio State is going to bring a butt ton of eyeballs to the table, and we're going to pretend they didn't lose to Penn State because doing so will make more money than if we don't pretend that.

TCU/Baylor got passed over for the same reason. Texas(TM) gets in with the resume TCU got passed over with. 10 times out of 10.
Same thing here. Suddenly winning your Conference---for that matter Division---for that matter H2H gets back-burnered when Ohio State's horde of fans tune in (versus the stench of Penn State). I just like the dance of the rationalization. If a loss to Pitt is the thing that keeps Penn State out, I bet they'll love tuning in to watch Clemson play. Well, I guess that's different because Clemson won their conference...right?

It's the same bottom line that is preventing the NCAA from coming down hard on UNC athletics.

Oh, I know full well what's going on. It's the same thing that always goes on with college football. Ohio State is going to bring a butt ton of eyeballs to the table, and we're going to pretend they didn't lose to Penn State because doing so will make more money than if we don't pretend that.

TCU/Baylor got passed over for the same reason. Texas(TM) gets in with the resume TCU got passed over with. 10 times out of 10.
Same thing here. Suddenly winning your Conference---for that matter Division---for that matter H2H gets back-burnered when Ohio State's horde of fans tune in (versus the stench of Penn State). I just like the dance of the rationalization. If a loss to Pitt is the thing that keeps Penn State out, I bet they'll love tuning in to watch Clemson play. Well, I guess that's different because Clemson won their conference...right?

I can't justify OSU's selection in 2014. Their loss to a garbage Virginia Tech team that year remains (and probably will remain) the worse loss by any of the 8 (12) teams to be in the CFB playoff, assuming the PSU gets left out this year. For better or worse, however, their selection ended up being vindicated by their play on the post-season field.

As for 2016, I'm on record as being annoyed at the Buckeyes anointed status by the committee, but that doesn't mean there aren't legitimate reasons to choose OSU over PSU. From what I can garner, the committee cares a whole lot less about conference champions than most people, like I, do, and it's clear they're not too happy with Michigan's drubbing of the Nittany Lions.

to say penn st was dominant last night is a bit of a stretch

so the final 4 announced at 1230. when are the rest of the bowls announced?

good god, Herbstreit is such an OSU homer

Back