• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Final Four

bring back the old bowl system with conference tie-ins

It is just a bit absurd to me that Ohio State can get into the playoff when they weren't even able to win their division in conference (much less actually win the title). Bama, Clemson, and Washington at least earned their way in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happened in 2011, and that 2nd place SEC West team won a NC

I really wish OSU wasn't in, but if they were to play Penn State 10 times, the Buckeyes win 8-9 of them IMO. Again, hate to see those tools in the playoff, but there is so much that happens in an unbalanced conference that it's hard to judge only H2H in a three point game played in Happy Valley in which Penn State was outgained by 150 yards.

If Penn State had won easily, I wonder if the committee would have looked at this differently.

I really wish OSU wasn't in, but if they were to play Penn State 10 times, the Buckeyes win 8-9 of them IMO. Again, hate to see those tools in the playoff, but there is so much that happens in an unbalanced conference that it's hard to judge only H2H in a three point game played in Happy Valley in which Penn State was outgained by 150 yards.

If Penn State had won easily, I wonder if the committee would have looked at this differently.

That and also if they hadn't gotten blown out by Michigan.

I hate Clemson, but will pull for them against tOSU. Definitely want to see them lose the championship game in heartbreaking fashion or by blowout.

The new Buffalo Bills. I'm down with this.

And it's fitting with Rex's obsession with Clemson

It will never happen though. The committee wants the best TV matchups, period. They probably are upset enough that Washington had a good season.

It was 1 step forward, 1 steps back with the new structure. A playoff is good, a 13-person committee with little transparency is terrible.

Happened in 2011, and that 2nd place SEC West team won a NC

Albeit under difference circumstances. They played the same team that won the division and the conference title to win the national title. And there really were pretty weak arguments against a rematch between Alabama and LSU other than Bama didn't win their conference and therefore didn't deserve a rematch with the team that did. Alabama lost to LSU during the regular season in a 1 vs. 2 matchup that went down to the last play. The only other major conference 1 loss teams were Oklahoma State - who lost to Iowa State after that Alabama LSU game - and Stanford who lost by 23 points at home to Oregon after that Alabama LSU game. And the resistance to a rematch was therefore quite weak. Heck, 2 loss Oregon ended up No. 4 and had been blown out by LSU in the first game of the season.

Albeit under difference circumstances. They played the same team that won the division and the conference title to win the national title. And there really were pretty weak arguments against a rematch between Alabama and LSU other than Bama didn't win their conference and therefore didn't deserve a rematch with the team that did. Alabama lost to LSU during the regular season in a 1 vs. 2 matchup that went down to the last play. The only other major conference 1 loss teams were Oklahoma State - who lost to Iowa State after that Alabama LSU game - and Stanford who lost by 23 points at home to Oregon after that Alabama LSU game. And the resistance to a rematch was therefore quite weak. Heck, 2 loss Oregon ended up No. 4 and had been blown out by LSU in the first game of the season.

Well, sure, but again - a team that didn't even win its division won a NC. Right?

If the Big 12 had folded and there were only 4 power conferences, then the 4 team playoff would always be the 4 conference champions, and OOC losses or style points wouldn't matter. tOSU would have been out. Before this playoff system, it's not like tOSU would've gone to the Rose Bowl over PSU because of the perception that tOSU is the stronger team.

As long as the playoff is limited to 4 teams and there are 5 power conferences, you can't have automatic conference qualifiers, and you will always have controversy. There are two solutions: a) expand to 6 or 8 with the conference champs getting automatic bids; b) the Big 12 needs to collapse. One of those two will happen, just not sure which one occurs first.

No it isn't. The point is $$$$. Which is why eventually it will go to 8 teams. But it shouldn't.

I don't know man. Regular-season college football is the golden goose, that's why the networks shell out all that money for conference rights. There's a lot of regular-season games to make money from, whereas there'd only be 7 playoff games.

The perpetual fear has to be that regular-season CFB will go the way of regular-season CBB if they expand the playoffs too far

I don't know man. Regular-season college football is the golden goose, that's why the networks shell out all that money for conference rights. There's a lot of regular-season games to make money from, whereas there'd only be 7 playoff games.

The perpetual fear has to be that regular-season CFB will go the way of regular-season CBB if they expand the playoffs too far

Expanding the autobids makes more regular season games matter. Not less.

Back