• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Final Four

Good Lord !

They played eight fucking games in Ann Arbor ?! Fuck them !

Probably should challenge themselves with a neutral-site or road non-conf game doe.

Though obviously not everyone did that -- Washington the most obvious example

Oregon definitely should've faced Miami that year. Instead, Miami got to smoke Nebraska and Oregon got to smoke Colorado.

Name brands mean a lot when it comes to picking the CFB teams that get to take part in such things.

And before someone says Oregon is a name brand, they certainly weren't one in 2001

That Miami team would've smoked Oregon anyway so better off for them now to have the opportunity to act like they might've won if they'd gotten in

What I find interesting about the CFP selection is whether they are consistent about their criteria and applying that across the different teams in the mix.

For instance, OSU vs. PSU (if they win B1G):

H2H matchup: PSU , @PSU
Conf Champ: PSU
Better overall record: OSU (1 loss vs. PSU 2 losses)
Better resume, non-conf: OSU, with win @ (probable) conf champ Oklahoma. PSU lost @ Pitt and barely beat Temple
Better resume, in-conf: Push, slightly favoring OSU's much harder schedule, having played @Wisc & Nebraska from west & beat Michigan, while PSU had easier west matchups and got wrecked by Michigan...BUT they did beat OSU
Eye test: Most people probably say OSU, though they have looked very mediocre in games against IU, PSU, Wisconsin and NW.

Which of these criteria is most important, and in what order? Perhaps committee considers PSU win over OSU somewhat of a push considering it was @PSU and a fluke play was the difference? (just speculating)

In 2014, it was all about the "eye test" for OSU. Harder to make that argument when you're comparing two teams that actually played against one another.

If the BCS was still a thing, would it end up with Bama vs Clemson after Clemson gets the extra win?

What happens in a year where a P5 conference champ is only ranked #15?

Oh you mean like a 2006 Wake Forest team? Well that would be the greatest thing ever.

Seriously though, if you win your championship, you should continue on to the next championship. That's what championship means.

And this could create the Cinderella scenarios that happen in basketball which are so treasured.

The system isn't set up like this now and I'm not trying to advocate for a PSU over OSU or anything - just saying that it wouldn't be a bad way to change things if they did go to 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's interesting that CU has a 63% (via 538) chance of making the CFP w/ a win and a Clemson loss.

That's higher than I'd expect.

Oh you mean like a 2006 Wake Forest team? Well that would be the greatest thing ever.

Lol can you imagine that team playing against OSU or Florida in the first round of the playoff?

Lol can you imagine that team playing against OSU or Florida in the first round of the playoff?

Louisville was pretty damn good that year. I think we may have surprised some people. Still lose by double digits, but make an interesting 3 quarters.

Louisville was pretty damn good that year. I think we may have surprised some people. Still lose by double digits, but make an interesting 3 quarters.

Our 2006 team against OSU or Florida would have fared better than Michigan State did last year against Alabama. Probably closer than FSU against Oregon as well.

Our 2006 team against OSU or Florida would have fared better than Michigan State did last year against Alabama. Probably closer than FSU against Oregon as well.

Just wait until it's Penn State vs Alabama this year.

That was my point in posting that somewhat rhetorical question. I'm not optimistic that the powers-that-be would sign off on a system where that was possible (i.e. an automatic birth in the national championship based on winning a P5 conference going to a team outside the top ten), particularly with a prime example of the possibility in the not-so-distant past.

Ohio State wasn't that great that year. As Florida proved.

If we could've somehow run the table and got to #2 (don't think it would've happened if we went 13-0, just sayin), I do think we could've made it a game as one of the greatest cinderella stories ever

From earlier in the thread:

6 teams. P5 champs + 1 wild card. Top 2 seeds get byes. Works for me.

Let me build on this a little. Call it a 12 team playoff, made up of the division winners from each P5 school and the 2 best remaining teams.

The P5 division winners play each other for conference championship (like 4 conferences do today) and other 2 remaining play a wildcard game.

CFP committee then ranks the 6 winners - the top 2 get a bye and other 4 winners play each other to see who gets to play 1 and 2 in the semi-finals.

We outplayed Louisville much of that game. Bullshit fumble calls...

Ohio State wasn't that great that year. As Florida proved.

If we could've somehow run the table and got to #2 (don't think it would've happened if we went 13-0, just sayin), I do think we could've made it a game as one of the greatest cinderella stories ever

We lost at home to Clemson. Clemson went 8-5 and lost to UK in the Music City Bowl that year.

Also lost to Va Tech at home. They went 10-3 and lost in the Chick-fil-A Bowl to Georgia.

Florida would have completely destroyed us. We could have given OSU a game, they and Louisville were pretty similar that year.

We lost at home to Clemson. Clemson went 8-5 and lost to UK in the Music City Bowl that year.

Also lost to Va Tech at home. They went 10-3 and lost in the Chick-fil-A Bowl to Georgia.

I think I recall we were up 17-0 against Clemson and then a fluke play completely turned the tide.

And the VT game didn't matter to us because Maryland the next week was going to decide our division fate regardless. But what if we were undefeated???

Still, I'll acknowledge that it wasn't a great team. But neither (to a lesser degree) was Ohio State, and upsets happen all the time. See Boise-Oklahoma which would've been a few days earlier, and surely would've been a source of inspiration

Back