• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Final Four

I am a Penn State fan who in no way supports the school or Joe Paterno's handling of the Sandusky attrocities. Had Paterno lived, IMO, he should have faced criminal charges. But the criminal justice system is where the matter belongs. Not the college football playoff selection committee.

You are the rare PSU fan that feels that way. About 80% of my friends are psu fans / grads. I'd say about half of them are of the people that think Joe Paterno is above anything. But I do respect you and the few that feel that way.

Okay, so this explains your complete crusade to keep Michigan out. Other than you, the committee has them at 5 and notes the difference between them and Washington is minuscule. But carry on.

I'm also not from Michigan but went there for law school. If you've spent any time there, not sure what the reason to hate them is.

cause they're michigan

Have you all spent any time amongst Ohio State fans?

haha yea i am one (closet anyway)

sat in the student section for osu-michigan this year

girl behind us had the most scorching takes all game

"Parris Campbell you go here for free! Why can't you catch anything???" two plays after a 25 yard catch.

kids next to me kept trying to start a "fuck that bitch" chant, just about anything that happened in the game

every fanbase has terrible fans among them

You are the rare PSU fan that feels that way. About 80% of my friends are psu fans / grads. I'd say about half of them are of the people that think Joe Paterno is above anything. But I do respect you and the few that feel that way.

I've always loved Penn State. Still do. My parents are both alums and I saw a ton of games in Happy Valley growing up.

And I loved Joe Pa. I even met him twice and spent about 30 minutes talking with him once in a Philadelphia hotel bar. Joe Pa did so much for the school, the program, and the players. But as more and more information came out about Sandusky, it just became obvious that he fucked up there.

To the topic at hand, if PSU wins the B1G championship game and OSU goes to the playoff, the committee shuold just admit that winning a conference championship game has no real bearing on selection.

To the topic at hand, if PSU wins the B1G championship game and OSU goes to the playoff, the committee shuold just admit that winning a conference championship game has no real bearing on selection.

Don't agree. Yes, PSU would've won the conference championship and PSU beat tOSU head to head, but its not like all other factors in the eval of tOSU and PSU are equal. tOSU has a better overall record despite playing a tougher schedule as tOSU won at Oklahoma, won at Wisconsin and beat Michigan. Also, how PSU beat tOSU matters. tOSU led the entire game, out first-downed Penn State and outgained PSU 413 to 276. Penn State won on a blocked field goal. It's not like Ohio State lost 49-10 like Penn State did at Michigan. Understand the argument in support of Penn State and the importance of winning the conference championship, but just because that is not the determinative factor as to which team makes the playoff does not mean that winning the conference championship "has no bearing".

That's a difficult argument to make. Michigan lost at OSU, otherwise, they'd be in the Big 10 championship game.

You can't play every game at home. Even though Michigan certainly tried

I've always loved Penn State. Still do. My parents are both alums and I saw a ton of games in Happy Valley growing up.

And I loved Joe Pa. I even met him twice and spent about 30 minutes talking with him once in a Philadelphia hotel bar. Joe Pa did so much for the school, the program, and the players. But as more and more information came out about Sandusky, it just became obvious that he fucked up there.

It's hard though. Yes a conference championship should mean something but PSU had a fairly easy schedule this year (especially with how their conference schedule laid out for them). They played only really one difficult road game in conference (and got smashed in it). Out of conference they played Temple and Pitt (lost) so they didn't end up playing great teams outside of Beaver.

OSU at least had to go on the road @ Oklahoma (likely another conference champ with a same record as PSU) @ PSU, @ Wisconsin, and played both Michigan and Nebraska at home. They played a way more difficult schedule. And with imbalanced scheduling, they didn't get PSU (whom I think they beat pretty easily @ the horse shoe)

PSU avoided Nebraska and Wisconsin and only played Michigan on the road. Heck, they drew Iowa and Minnesota at home. They beat Temple out of conference but that is probably a similar win to OSU beating Tulsa at home. Aside from the beating they took at Michigan, their best Road win is @ Indiana.

Now if you are saying they deserve to get in because they beat OSU at home, then where is Michigan in this conversation? They destroyed PSU at home.

haha yea i am one (closet anyway)

sat in the student section for osu-michigan this year

girl behind us had the most scorching takes all game

"Parris Campbell you go here for free! Why can't you catch anything???" two plays after a 25 yard catch.

kids next to me kept trying to start a "fuck that bitch" chant, just about anything that happened in the game

every fanbase has terrible fans among them

The shots of OSU fans flipping off the camera multiple times during the game was really nice.

Beyond that, Ann Arbor is a really great town, its a great school, and the fans aren't nearly as caustic against Ohio State as Ohio State fans are against Michigan.

Don't agree. Yes, PSU would've won the conference championship and PSU beat tOSU head to head, but its not like all other factors in the eval of tOSU and PSU are equal. tOSU has a better overall record despite playing a tougher schedule as tOSU won at Oklahoma, won at Wisconsin and beat Michigan. Also, how PSU beat tOSU matters. tOSU led the entire game, out first-downed Penn State and outgained PSU 413 to 276. Penn State won on a blocked field goal. It's not like Ohio State lost 49-10 like Penn State did at Michigan. Understand the argument in support of Penn State and the importance of winning the conference championship, but just because that is not the determinative factor as to which team makes the playoff does not mean that winning the conference championship "has no bearing".

All of which explains why the current selection process is flawed. It's better than the BCS, but outside of no-brainers like Alabama, it's too reliant on optics and transitive evaluations.

Make it an eight team playoff and you solve the problem. The five P5 champions and three at large selections, which would allow OSU to go should PSU win the B1G this year.

You can't play every game at home. Even though Michigan certainly tried
At most you can only have 8, but good try.

Many schools do try to 7 home games in a year, it can happen that you stay close. Theoretically Texas could have TT, Baylor, TCU & Ok St as away conference games, get Oklahoma in Dallas at Jerry's World, then have WVa, Ok St, Kansas & Iowa St as home games. Put them at home against Notre Dame & UTEP like this year and on the road at Cal and that is only 1 game outside the state of Texas.

The shots of OSU fans flipping off the camera multiple times during the game was really nice.

Beyond that, Ann Arbor is a really great town, its a great school, and the fans aren't nearly as caustic against Ohio State as Ohio State fans are against Michigan.

yea def helps that it's a great school academically

osu has gotten a lot more selective and has some great grad and research programs, but still doesn't hold a candle to michigan

we were reflecting this year at thanksgiving that 2 thanksgivings ago on the eve of the 2014 osu-michigan game, my sis was applying to grad schools-- she eventually got in at hopkins, wash u, yale, emory, and got straight rejected at michigan

it's like they knew

I've spent a fair amount of time in Ann Arbor because my wife went to law school there, and, while nice, it doesn't hold a candle to Madison. Wife agrees. Wife also agrees that Michigan is a better school, and specifically a better law school, and that she is much smarter than me.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Ann Arbor because my wife went to law school there, and, while nice, it doesn't hold a candle to Madison. Wife agrees. Wife also agrees that Michigan is a better school, and specifically a better law school, and that she is much smarter than me.

I haven't been to Madison but I took a friend to Ann Arbor for a game this year who went to Wisconsin-Madison. She said she thought Ann Arbor was more urban than Madison and not as similar as she would have thought.

I haven't been to Madison but I took a friend to Ann Arbor for a game this year who went to Wisconsin-Madison. She said she thought Ann Arbor was more urban than Madison and not as similar as she would have thought.

Michigan's campus blows. There are really just three nice campuses in the Big Ten - from Michigan west. 1 - Indiana, 2 - Wisconsin, 3 - Northwestern. Every other campus is pretty much garbage.

Michigan's campus blows. There are really just three nice campuses in the Big Ten - from Michigan west. 1 - Indiana, 2 - Wisconsin, 3 - Northwestern. Every other campus is pretty much garbage.

It doesn't blow. The law quad is incredible. The rest of the campus is alright. But it's the town of Ann Arbor and how it intermingles with campus that makes it great.

Too much #Bigtenchat. I miss that conference sucking out loud.

Damn you Urban and Jim

Okay, so this explains your complete crusade to keep Michigan out. Other than you, the committee has them at 5 and notes the difference between them and Washington is minuscule. But carry on.

I'm also not from Michigan but went there for law school. If you've spent any time there, not sure what the reason to hate them is.

And if Washington wins that difference will not be miniscule. And when, not if, but when Penn State or Wisconsin wins they too will leap over Michigan. Again, they are done.

And if you've spent any time in Ann Arbor, I have no idea how you couldn't hate them.

Back