• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Final Four

All of which explains why the current selection process is flawed. It's better than the BCS, but outside of no-brainers like Alabama, it's too reliant on optics and transitive evaluations.

Make it an eight team playoff and you solve the problem. The five P5 champions and three at large selections, which would allow OSU to go should PSU win the B1G this year.

Four teams is plenty. Do you really think whoever is the fourth team has any legit chance of winning two games in a row this year? What happened last year in the Alabama - MSU game? In the lead up all we heard about was how Connor Cook and MSU were so battle tested and tough and could match up with Alabama. They got friggin' smoked. And had they somehow managed to upset Bama they wouldn't have been able to win against Clemson.

It's just incredibly difficult to win two games in a row against Top 5 competition. And frankly whoever gets that 4 spot this year does not look up to that task this year.

IOW, I'll buy into an 8 team playoff when I can look out and see at least 5 teams capable of winning two games in a row against Top 5 competition a couple of years in a row. It wasn't there last year and frankly it doesn't look like it is there this year either.

We all know the three schools with the best athletes this year are Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson. Sure all of them can get beat by any Top 15 team. But those are the only teams you look at and see winning two games in a row against Top 5 teams.

Maryland belongs in the Big Ten. Home of uber-defensive fans.

DeaconForever, MichDeac. MichDeac, DeaconForever

Four teams is plenty. Do you really think whoever is the fourth team has any legit chance of winning two games in a row this year? What happened last year in the Alabama - MSU game? In the lead up all we heard about was how Connor Cook and MSU were so battle tested and tough and could match up with Alabama. They got friggin' smoked. And had they somehow managed to upset Bama they wouldn't have been able to win against Clemson.

It's just incredibly difficult to win two games in a row against Top 5 competition. And frankly whoever gets that 4 spot this year does not look up to that task this year.

IOW, I'll buy into an 8 team playoff when I can look out and see at least 5 teams capable of winning two games in a row against Top 5 competition a couple of years in a row. It wasn't there last year and frankly it doesn't look like it is there this year either.

We all know the three schools with the best athletes this year are Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson. Sure all of them can get beat by any Top 15 team. But those are the only teams you look at and see winning two games in a row against Top 5 teams.

Using that logic, the NCAA basketball tournament should be pared back to 16 teams. There are never more than that many that have a chance to win six games in a row against top competition.

Agree to disagree, but I think if you win a P5 conference championship, you deserve a shot at the Natty. The three wildcards would allow for the Ohio States to get in as well.

Using that logic, the NCAA basketball tournament should be pared back to 16 teams. There are never more than that many that have a chance to win six games in a row against top competition.

Agree to disagree, but I think if you win a P5 conference championship, you deserve a shot at the Natty. The three wildcards would allow for the Ohio States to get in as well.

You're presuming Ohio State won't get in this year. That remains to be seen.

Just because we have a huge basketball tourney doesn't mean we have to have an 8 team playoff.

We all know how this will go down. $$$$ will decide.

You're presuming Ohio State won't get in this year. That remains to be seen.

Just because we have a huge basketball tourney doesn't mean we have to have an 8 team playoff.

We all know how this will go down. $$$$ will decide.

No. I am not presuming Ohio State won't get in this year. That's not my point at all. I'm saying that the B1G champion, who is not going to be Ohio State, deserves to get in on the basis of winning a P5 championship.

Agree to disagree. The entire regular season makes it great and not watered down like basketball with 33 games plus tourney. Football players wear down and by the end of the 4 team CFP, players are worn down to a frazzle and have nothing left and face too many injuries. That is why 4 teams are enough. Just because there are four P5 teams does not mean you deserve a shot at the title. Give it 8 teams & #9 is gonna be pissed just like in basketball where #'s 69 & 70 are pissed. It never ends. We added 65-69 and made the First Four because the D1 bball coaches didn't like being left out--OK, now they get to go to Dayton and have 16's play for the right to play a 1 and roughly the 11's or 12's play to have the right to play a 6 or 5.

They say the only way we will go to 8 in the future is "if" we all give up the conference title games during this first weekend of December because they are not going to add another game onto these young 18-22 year olds. And even then it can't take place till after this TV contract is over. Or maybe we all do away with the 12th game, all play 9 conference games, play the rivalry games the week before Thanksgiving and have the conference title games on Thanksgiving weekend. That way there is no extra game of wear & tear on the body, the kids get a break for exams and everybody has the normal bowl season and New Years games and CFP. And, just as importantly to the school presidents, football season does not extend into a second semester.

Adding one game to the playoff does not water down the season like basketball. One game. Every P5 team will being play in September knowing that if they win, they're in. IMO, that's the way it should be. Champions play for championship.

And there would only be two teams that end up playing one more game than is being played now.

Last edited:
CFB, where the regular season matters ! *except certain H2H matchups.

No. I am not presuming Ohio State won't get in this year. That's not my point at all. I'm saying that the B1G champion, who is not going to be Ohio State, deserves to get in on the basis of winning a P5 championship.

Why should every P5 winner get in? I'm 48 years old. The Big Ten has won exactly 3 national titles in my lifetime. They don't automatically deserve shit - neither does any other P5 winner if their league doesn't measure up that year.

Michigan is donzo. Even if everything breaks their way, they're still a two-loss team that didn't even play for a conference championship. The Big 10 CG winner should be ahead of them. The winner of Bedlam ought to be ahead of them. Hell, I would say even a 2-loss Clemson should be ahead of them. Michigan's best hope is that it somehow comes down to them and Colorado, and enough committee members favor H2H over having won the a conference.

Why should every P5 winner get in? I'm 48 years old. The Big Ten has won exactly 3 national titles in my lifetime. They don't automatically deserve shit - neither does any other P5 winner if their league doesn't measure up that year.

It's just my opinion. We have five major conferences. Win a P5 championship, you get in. Right now, all four teams are selected based on totally subjective criteria. That makes the college football playoff like Olympic gymnastics. Whomever the judges think looks the best gets to the finals. An eight team playoff with the five P5 winners getting in would mean 62% of the slots are filled based on achievement.

Or we can let Condaleeza Rice decide.

It's just my opinion. We have five major conferences. Win a P5 championship, you get in. Right now, all four teams are selected based on totally subjective criteria. That makes the college football playoff like Olympic gymnastics. Whomever the judges think looks the best gets to the finals. An eight team playoff with the five P5 winners getting in would mean 62% of the slots are filled based on achievement.

Or we can let Condaleeza Rice decide.

It isn't about winning a league. It is about finding the four best teams. Winning a league makes it easier to argue you are one of the four best teams because you typically play an extra game to win a league against another team with a really good record. But winning a league should not define a chance to win a title.

Michigan State won a league last year. They were not one of the best 8 teams in the country.

I get the politics of it all. But being in a P5 conference doesn't mean much if your P5 conference is not especially deep that particular season and you have not steamrolled the competition.

The only league that has shown the consistency year over year to lay any claim to an automatic birth is the SEC. And this year you could argue they don't deserve it and are fortunate Alabama has not coughed up a loss.

Last edited:
If it's about just arbitrarily finding the best teams, why play a playoff at all? Wouldn't the risk of the #4 upsetting the #1 be too great?

It isn't about winning a league. It is about finding the four best teams. Winning a league makes it easier to argue you are one of the four best teams because you typically play an extra game to win a league against another team with a really good record. But winning a league should not define a chance to win a title.

I'm reallly amazed at some board members arguments on this. I would bet there isn't a single poster who would support replacing conference/division championships as a playoff qualification in any other sport at any level with a committee that gets to decide who they think has a chance to win a title.

If it's about just arbitrarily finding the best teams, why play a playoff at all? Wouldn't the risk of the #4 upsetting the #1 be too great?

That's overly simplistic because it's not entirely arbitrary. It's an issue of supplementing regular season data with what's considered a reasonable amount of post-season information in order to determine a champion. The amount of reasonable post-season data is what's at issue here, but just because the latter is incomplete (i.e., partly arbitrary) doesn't mean we should rely entirely on the former.

Western Michigan / Michigan in the Cotton Bowl should be fun

Let's say we get all chalk this weekend (WMU, UW, OU, Bama, Clemson, Wisconsin win)...

Peach - 1 Bama vs 4 Washington
Fiesta - 2 OSU vs 3 Clemson
Rose - Wisconsin vs Colorado
Sugar - Auburn vs Oklahoma
Cotton - Michigan vs Western Michigan
Orange - Florida St vs Penn State

Nothing is purely "arbitrary". Who do you think are the four best teams this year? Do you really think your list is going to vary much from the norm?

As of today Alabama, Clemson and Washington are going to be on almost every list. Most people will have Ohio State on their list.

Why should we hand Wisconsin a shot at a national title if they win tomorrow? Just because they had the good fortunate of playing in a division with Minnesota?

Michigan State and Iowa played for the Big Ten title last year. They both went out and completely crapped the bed in their "bowl" games. They lost by a combined score of 83-16. Neither one deserved to be in the college football playoff. And I don't care how many games they won in the Big Ten last year or who they beat in that league. They didn't belong.

I'm reallly amazed at some board members arguments on this. I would bet there isn't a single poster who would support replacing conference/division championships as a playoff qualification in any other sport at any level with a committee that gets to decide who they think has a chance to win a title.

College soccer. There are 8 teams left. 5 of them are from the ACC. And that type of performance is common for the league. College soccer has a lot of teams in the tourney.

College football doesn't have a lot of teams in the tourney. Nor does it need to. But because it doesn't there shouldn't be some auto reward for winning a league when we all know there are years where who wins a given league is a joke.

There are years in college football where you could easily argue winning the SEC would be way harder than winning an 8 team playoff with P5 conference champions taking 5 spots. That's why. We all know it is true. Not every year. But most years they are the best.

Plus, in what other sport do teams in the same division not play each other home and away?

The only answer is CBB, and winning your conference's regular season doesn't get you in the "playoffs" there either

Back