• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former USC and NFL RB Joe McKnight gunned down in New Orleans

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
RIP

He was unarmed.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/12/joe_mcknight_shooting_new_orle.html

"McKnight, 28, was shot about 3 p.m. at the intersection of Behrman Highway and Holmes Boulevard in Terrytown, a suburb of New Orleans. A witness, who declined to give her name, said she saw a man at the intersection yelling at McKnight, who was trying to apologize. The man shot McKnight more than once, the witness said. She said he shot McKnight, stood over him and said, "I told you don't you f--- with me." Then the man fired again, she said. "

The NOPD let the shooter go home.

Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office is handling this, not NOPD.

And if they did not charge him and let him go, there is more to this story than is being reported by the media and the Internet news "authorities".

That said, it is a damn shame it happened at all. RIP, Joe McKnight.

McKnight was the guy who came into Jets camp as a rookie, 2nd round pick maybe? And couldn't get through a workout, just had terrible endurance to the point that they may have had to put him on the inactive list until he got some stamina, then was okay for them on kickoffs and as a 3rd down back for a year or two.

Sad story though.

Was McKnight armed?

Self defense is the only thing I think could be claimed where this guy would be allowed to walk, and even then shouldn't there be a couple days of investigation before letting someone who just killed someone in public go home and sleep in their own bed? At least hold him over for a psych evaluation.

RIP

He was unarmed.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/12/joe_mcknight_shooting_new_orle.html

"McKnight, 28, was shot about 3 p.m. at the intersection of Behrman Highway and Holmes Boulevard in Terrytown, a suburb of New Orleans. A witness, who declined to give her name, said she saw a man at the intersection yelling at McKnight, who was trying to apologize. The man shot McKnight more than once, the witness said. She said he shot McKnight, stood over him and said, "I told you don't you f--- with me." Then the man fired again, she said. "

The NOPD let the shooter go home.

This is a sad story, but I'm sorry to say not the only person who was killed in America yesterday. I wonder why RJ decided to talk about this one case. Weird.

This is a sad story, but I'm sorry to say not the only person who was killed in America yesterday. I wonder why RJ decided to talk about this one case. Weird.

Because he was a former NFL player shot in broad daylight and there is the added sense of inequity many feel in the way police treat suspects of different races. This is obvious.

Was McKnight armed?

Per the Sherriff's press conference today, McKnight was not armed. But they don't have a witness that corroborates the statement in the original post that McKnight was apologizing or that the shooter, Ronald Gasser, stood over him when he shot him. Gasser was sitting in the driver's seat of his car and shot McKnight 3 times through the open passenger side window where McKnight had gotten out of his car after he pulled up next to him after a traffic incident (someone cut-off someone). The investigation is still open and they are interviewing witnesses, but Gasser was released for the time being, with Stand Your Ground laws being a factor.

people shooting someone over anger about a traffic incident. Just unreal (assuming that part is true). So sad. Given the info that came out in the press release I have no clue how this guy was let go and not charged with anything. Just awful and senseless.

Per the Sherriff's press conference today, McKnight was not armed. But they don't have a witness that corroborates the statement in the original post that McKnight was apologizing or that the shooter, Ronald Gasser, stood over him when he shot him. Gasser was sitting in the driver's seat of his car and shot McKnight 3 times through the open passenger side window where McKnight had gotten out of his car after he pulled up next to him after a traffic incident (someone cut-off someone). The investigation is still open and they are interviewing witnesses, but Gasser was released for the time being, with Stand Your Ground laws being a factor.

Here's an article about the press conference:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/02/sheriff-mcknights-killer-fired-shots-from-inside-his-car/
“I would ask the community to pause and reflect that if you start with ‘I feel,’ that is a slippery slope,” Sheriff Normand said. “It’s what the evidence suggests, what the evidence reveals, and what the evidence is.”

Sheriff Normand added that the shooter, Ronald Gasser, did not stand over McKnight. Gasser, according to Sheriff Normand, was in his car when the shots were fired. The shell casings, Normand said, were in the car.

Also, Sheriff Normand said there is no video of the shooting, and no witness account of any “apology” being made by McKnight to Gasser.

The reference to the shots being fired by Gasser while in his car brings into play Louisiana’s “Kill the Carjacker” law, an extension of the “stand your ground” law that allows for a person to use deadly force to defend himself while in a vehicle..."

Here's an article about the press conference:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/02/sheriff-mcknights-killer-fired-shots-from-inside-his-car/
“I would ask the community to pause and reflect that if you start with ‘I feel,’ that is a slippery slope,” Sheriff Normand said. “It’s what the evidence suggests, what the evidence reveals, and what the evidence is.”

Sheriff Normand added that the shooter, Ronald Gasser, did not stand over McKnight. Gasser, according to Sheriff Normand, was in his car when the shots were fired. The shell casings, Normand said, were in the car.

Also, Sheriff Normand said there is no video of the shooting, and no witness account of any “apology” being made by McKnight to Gasser.

The reference to the shots being fired by Gasser while in his car brings into play Louisiana’s “Kill the Carjacker” law, an extension of the “stand your ground” law that allows for a person to use deadly force to defend himself while in a vehicle..."

Oh goody, another case where a witness appears to have made shit up.

So basically the Stand Your Ground law is going to allow the shooter to claim he feared for his life and this is going to turn into another shit show?

"Kill the Carjacker" law

holy fuck, Louisiana, what the fuck are you doing?

Oh goody, another case where a witness appears to have made shit up.

So basically the Stand Your Ground law is going to allow the shooter to claim he feared for his life and this is going to turn into another shit show?

As to the former, absolutely. Of course, I don't think anyone believed the story that the witness told of a man being executed while laying on the pavement and trying to apologize.

As to the latter, probably so. Unless there is another witness that saw something different. Right or wrong, McKnight being out of his car (it sounds like) and the shooter being inside his is probably going to seal it (although the fact that McKnight was at the passenger window and not the driver window might affect the analysis).

It just amazes me how many legal ways one person and kill another person.

"Kill the Carjacker" law

holy fuck, Louisiana, what the fuck are you doing?

I had the same reaction. When I saw someone mention that law earlier today on another website I thought for sure that it was a joke until I looked it up.

I think it sucks that the specter of death by gun hangs over so many situations where it absolutely need not. Whether that is road rage confrontations, traffic stops, or some drunk kid banging on the wrong door late at night.

So was there an accident in which McKnight and the shooter were involved? Does the carjacking law require anything besides someone shooting from their car?

So was there an accident in which McKnight and the shooter were involved? Does the carjacking law require anything besides someone shooting from their car?

there was no accident, there was a traffic confrontation, whatever that is, and they pull up to a stoplight and both exchange words. at some point mcknight, unarmed and no gun in the car, gets out of his car and while still on the passenger side of gasser's car get's gunned down. gasser stays at the scene, tells officers his story and turns over his gun. so it looks like in LA getting out of a car during a road rage incident basically opens up the purge rules if the other person stays in the car.

blue infiniti is gasser's car and the audi suv is mcknight's car.

-7a73d5671e91f763.JPG

joe-mcknight-homicide-6992641da6453c3c.jpg

-428fdaa748d8ecba.JPG

About 20 years ago, shortly after Texas had passed its concealed carry legislation, a case occurred where there road rage and the guy got out of his car to confront another guy sitting in his car and was shot and killed. There were other mitigating circumstances too, like the gun holder telling the guy he was armed and to get away, and the guy actually reaching in assaulting the guy in the car. The case didn't go to trial.

I don't know what happened here, but it appears the "witness" was FOS and not helping matters. I do know that unless there is an actual fender bender, getting cut off or whatever is not a reason to get out at the next stoplight and confront somebody. It's a good way to get shot, white or black, especially in the south. Now if the guy who did the shooting was driving like an ass and feeling indestructable because he had a gun on him, I do have a problem with that.

Back