• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Search

Well it looks like they had Robb Smith locked up until Fleck got hired and stole him.

Based on what I have read on this thread, it appears to me Smith had fallen out of favor at Arkansas and was looking for the best DC offer he could find. Maybe it is just as well he chose Minnesota.

I refuse to view the Fleck/Smith deal as a defeat. Bullet dodged.

Yeah. Hate to be that fan but didn't seem like we went after Smith very hard. If Claw really wanted him then he would be here already.

Yeah. Hate to be that fan but didn't seem like we went after Smith very hard. If Claw really wanted him then he would be here already.

Eh I don't know about that. I think I'd much rather be a DC in the Big 10 West than the ACC Atlantic.

Eh I don't know about that. I think I'd much rather be a DC in the Big 10 West than the ACC Atlantic.

It certainly will be an easier job. Multiple tough offenses in the ACC Atlantic at this time. Not so much in the B1G west.

Not super relevant but my friend Andrew Thacker just got hired as an assistant coach at Temple.

UConn just pried Auburn's OC away.

Let's get somebody good, damnit

UConn just pried Auburn's OC away.

Let's get somebody good, damnit

Bizarre. He took a $250k pay cut, which indicates he was forced out, but Auburn offense actually performed quite well once he took over play calling from Malzahn.

He saved Malzahn's job. They were really struggling until he took over the playcalling.
Malzahn strikes me as an ego guy who thinks he's always the smartest guy in the room.

Clawson requiring CIA level security clearance and what not for new hires after being Elrodded

Let's not be stupid and think a coach is superior because he landed a job at Auburn or Minnesota or some other Power V school.

When Mike Bellotti hired Chip Kelly as OC he was coaching at New Hampshire; Kelly elevated Oregon to the top of the college game. Penn State's offense had sucked under James Franklin; then this year, he hired Joe Morehead out of Fordham as the OC, and Penn State's offense became dominant by the end of the season. Texas Tech hired Art Briles out of Texas HS football, and he proved to be one of the most innovative minds in the sport. Everyone loves Matt Patricia, the Pat's DC, as the next great NFL defensive football mind. Syracuse hired Patricia out of Amherst college where he was DL coach.

Mike Leach, who IMO is the most innovative coach in college football in the last 25 years, was hired to be the Kentucky OC out of Valdosta State. The best coaches are often not at the Power V level where politics and connections often decides who gets jobs.

Have full faith in Clawson who played D3 football, and worked his way up the ranks, to find the best football minds to coach on his staff regardless if they are coaching at Alabama or Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Last edited:
Let's not be stupid and think a coach is superior because he landed a job at Auburn or Minnesota or some other Power V school.

When Mike Bellotti hired Chip Kelly as OC he was coaching at New Hampshire; Kelly elevated Oregon to the top of the college game. Penn State's offense had sucked under James Franklin; then this year, he hired Joe Morehead out of Fordham as the OC, and Penn State's offense became dominant by the end of the season. Texas Tech hired Art Briles out of Texas HS football, and he proved to be one of the most innovative minds in the sport. Everyone loves Matt Patricia, the Pat's DC, as the next great NFL defensive football mind. Syracuse hired Patricia out of Amherst college where he was DL coach.

Mike Leach, who IMO is the most innovative coach in college football in the last 25 years, was hired to be the Kentucky OC out of Valdosta State. The best coaches are often not at the Power V level where politics and connections often decides who gets jobs.

Have full faith in Clawson who played D3 football, and worked his way up the ranks, to find the best football minds to coach on his staff regardless if they are coaching at Alabama or Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

No quarrel with your statements-- just want to see who it is! :)

Great examples Pilch........and I agree

Bizarre. He took a $250k pay cut, which indicates he was forced out, but Auburn offense actually performed quite well once he took over play calling from Malzahn.

I assume he was looking for job security. Better to leave now than be fired next year and be damaged goods.

Back