• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Search

DB Coach Mike Reed played safety at BC and was the last pick in the Panthers' first draft. He's coached at State and for the Philadelphia Eagles.

This is correct but for years I thought this honor belonged to Chad Cota.

Possibly Bob Diaco ex-head coach from UConn. They always had good defenses. Phil Snow, Temple's current DC would be a good choice and our job would be a great step up for him.

Pretty sure we looked hard at Diaco when we were replacing Grobe. Has to be a red flag that he got fired after three years at UConn. Hard to believe that on field performance would be the only reason for that

Intrigued if we stick with someone who runs the 4-2-5 scheme. Gary Patterson at TCU is widely regarded as the leading proponent and innovator - perhaps someone from his staff. Doubtful but just trying to think where we could look

Clemson's defense against Ohio State was as good as I have seen in a long time. Do they have anyone working under Venable who we could take??

The same defense that gave up about 1000 yds. at home against Louisville and Pittsburgh combined. Maybe they got healthy. Maybe Ohio State just sucks, or was woefully ill-prepared.

Intrigued if we stick with someone who runs the 4-2-5 scheme. Gary Patterson at TCU is widely regarded as the leading proponent and innovator - perhaps someone from his staff. Doubtful but just trying to think where we could look

I can't imagine us getting away from the defense we have recruited for since day 1.

The three D assistants are a TCU lifer and two guys new to being full time assistants.

Footballscoop is reporting that Coach Scheier will not return next season .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good start. Good to see Clawson making the tough decisions.

Can somebody change the thread title and make this a general Wake coaching search thread?

Last edited:
Don't know if y'all have talked about him, but Mickey Matthews of Coastal Carolina would be a good choice. he runs a 4-2-5 as well and would have a lot of connects in the DMV and in the Sc

Can somebody change the thread title and make this a general Wake coaching search thread?

Was our special teams really that bad this year? Maggio and Weaver weren't.

It wouldn't surprise me if Scheier walked away on his own to spend more time with his family. I think his oldest daughter is now in HS. Probably realizes that time is slipping away. He seems really involved in their sports careers.

Also, keep in mind that we'll probably lose another defensive coach joining Elko at ND...

Back