• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Search

Wonder why he left JMU. Have followed JMU for a number of years ( had a daughter that went there). Good football when Mathews was head coach.

Scheier is THE MAN when it comes to Wake FB and social media. He'll be missed.

Yeah. Scheier occasionally got a little preachy and self-righteous on social media, and he had that one episode with UNC where he got reprimanded, but he was a good voice for the program, and a solid recruiter.

Sucks that he couldn't really coach kick coverage.

Went from head coach at JMU to D coordinator at Coastal? Seems like an odd move.

He's up there in age. Maybe he wanted less stress and after a few years in the booth realized he would rather be on the field. Now he's back in coaching and possibly living on the coast, waterway or on a golf course in Myrtle Beach.

brad-stevens-main.jpg

Wonder why he left JMU. Have followed JMU for a number of years ( had a daughter that went there). Good football when Mathews was head coach.

I'm pretty sure he wore out his welcome as he started underachieving in later years. I've been dating a JMU grad since the end of his era there, and I was at one of his last games where the fans were chanting for him to be fired. It sounds like he did typically have good defenses but that the offensive side of the ball was inconsistent and the fans were ready for a change.

For what it's worth, he laid a good foundation because the program has won a ton of games since and is in the FCS championship game this weekend.

I wish there was more news on the DC front. Let’s recap all the info that we have so far.

Dave Cohen is widely presumed to be a candidate. He was Clawson’s DC at Fordham and we know that Clawson tends to hire people that he has coached with in the past.

However, we have a sense that Clawson will also look at candidates outside the program. This is based on comments Clawson made in the post-game press conference. Right now the only source for the press conference replay is premium content on Les Johns’ site, so I won’t say anything other than Clawson strongly implied that there would a broader search.

Mebanedeac first brought up Army’s DC Jay Bateman on these boards and hours later 247’s Josh Newberg tweeted:

“Mike Elko could end up at ND or Oregon in the next 48-hours. I like Army DC Jay Bateman as a replacement for Elko at Wake Forest”

Which was followed nine days later by this tweet from Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman:

“Hearing #Army DC Jay Bateman has become a hot name in coaching circles. Led nation’s No. 4 D this year”

More recently (December 26) Bateman’s name appeared in a Burlington NC newspaper article as a potential candidate for the open HC position at Elon. Of course, Army is also in the midst of investigating Wakeyleaks, which may or may not eliminate Bateman as a candidate.

Wake Rivals reported 3 names that Mike Singer was hearing. Cohen (of course), Bateman and one more name that I won’t mention since Mike’s got that info as premium content.

However, other than that it’s been radio silence.

Given the talent level coming into the program and the general progress, is this a pretty attractive opening? Seems like it would be.

Definitely. How many P5 DC jobs come open every year? 5-10 at the most.

And it's a chance to take over a Top 20 defense in the best conference in the land.

And it would be replacing a guy who was the DC for 3 years and now he's at Notre Dame.

That's very attractive and I think some of the suggestions have been underselling how attractive it is.

I would think this spot is drawing interests from P5 position coaches, G5 DCs, and even FCS head coaches.

Last edited:
There were some other names mentioned on the Clawson new contract thread and the 2016 football thread.
Mike London, current MD "Associate Head Coach/Defensive Line Coach"
Nate Woody is the App State DC
Bob Diaco (UConn coach, just released)
Minnesota (just fired) head coach Tracy Clayes. former DC at NIU when Clawson was at BGSU.

Most of these are pure speculation and names of people who are currently without work or people who would be good to get, and might possibly move.

There were some other names mentioned on the Clawson new contract thread and the 2016 football thread.
Mike London, current MD "Associate Head Coach/Defensive Line Coach"
Nate Woody is the App State DC
Bob Diaco (UConn coach, just released)
Minnesota (just fired) head coach Tracy Clayes. former DC at NIU when Clawson was at BGSU.

Most of these are pure speculation and names of people who are currently without work or people who would be good to get, and might possibly move.

Ourlads says that App State runs a 3-4. Wouldn't that disqualify Woody, unless he has experience running other schemes? No way Wake is going to back to a 3-4.

Ourlads says that App State runs a 3-4. Wouldn't that disqualify Woody, unless he has experience running other schemes? No way Wake is going to back to a 3-4.

Yeah, that would be a definite point against him. None of the discussions went into any detail about preferred scheme etc. I agree that Wake is highly unlikely to change the scheme at this time. I am sure it is a point on Clawsons list of criteria for his new DC. Much of the discussion was about who had recruiting ties to the DMV area. NoVA is an area from which Wake has gotten some good players.

Many thanks to Les Johns for giving me the OK to post this quote from his site. You can see the whole press conference – which was quite good – here (premium) http://www.scout.com/college/wake-forest/forums/2383-deacon-sports-club/15269260-deacs-on-bowl-win-over-temple

Reporter: What is your timeline for getting a defensive coordinator?

Clawson: (laughs) I don’t know…I just got done winning a bowl game and I’m going to go home and get away for a few days with my family. I’m going to enjoy this one until New Year. I just want to see what the market will bear. So I’d like to have a new coordinator in place by our first recruiting weekend because I think that it is important that our recruits meet who they are going to be playing for. That would be ideally. But I’m not in a rush to make a bad decision. I want to take my time to make sure that I get the right guy because we sure are replacing a heck of a defensive coordinator…”

A few notes. He actually said he’d like to have a new recruiting coordinator by the first visit weekend. Obviously he misspoke. Although that was possibly foreshadowing Scheier’s departure. Also, note that the first recruiting weekend is January 13, however he was most likely referring to the much bigger recruiting weekend that Wake will host on January 20.

In addition, I thought the “I just want to see what the market will bear” part was interesting.

Seems like Clawson realizes how attractive the position is. Made sense to wait until Jan 1 to start the search for a number of reasons. I'm guessing we will see an announcement next Tuesday unless there's a candidate on the Bama or Clemson staffs.

My post above explains why it killed me that Grobe promoted from within or just hired cronies. An ACC coordinator position is precious. Failing to see what the market bears is foolhardy.

Imagine how many current great coaches would have been in the market for the OC position after Calhoun left. Chip Kelly was the OC at New Hampshire at that time for example.

Last edited:
Seems like Clawson realizes how attractive the position is. Made sense to wait until Jan 1 to start the search for a number of reasons. I'm guessing we will see an announcement next Tuesday unless there's a candidate on the Bama or Clemson staffs.

My post above explains why it killed me that Grobe promoted from within or just hired cronies. An ACC coordinator position is precious. Failing to see what the market bears is foolhardy.

Imagine how many current great coaches would have been in the market for the OC position after Calhoun left. Chip Kelly was the OC at New Hampshire at that time for example.

Good post. My favorite thing about Clawson is that is is most definitely not #LOWF.

Promoting from within is the default for lazy executives. Grobe's MO.

Maybe we should wait to see who he actually hires before praising him for not making a type of hire?

Back