• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Search

My impression of most of the SEC fans I know is that their team should win the national championship every year and that if they're not in contention the coach should fired. And most of them know more about the game than the coaches do. So that board is not surprising to me. (It looks a little familiar.)

At least we won't have to cover moving expenses.

Smith was considered a coaching star until this past season. Going into the 2016 season, the strength of Arkansas was expected to be their defense. Arkansas lost a lot on offense, but returned 9 starters on D and were supposed to be only behind Bama and Florida on defense in the SEC, but they gave up a lot of points and yards. (45 to A&M, 49 to Bama, 56 to Auburn, 42 to Miss State, and then they completely collapsed in the Bowl game against VT; shutting out VT in the first half; giving up 35 in the 2nd half).

What kind of Scheme does he run? 4-3? 3-4? 4-2-5?

Maybe he can bring montaric brown with him???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year was base 4-3, but was gradually incorporating more 3-4.

So basically good chance Arkansas told this guy to look for other work after a mediocre and he found us? Because there's pretty much a 0% chance we would be paying 800k, so can't imagine he would leave for us if he had the choice. Still could be a good hire though

So basically good chance Arkansas told this guy to look for other work after a mediocre and he found us? Still could be a good hire though

I think it could've been mutual too. Bielema isn't in the best of shape down there. This is a good chance for a fresh start/clean break for Smith to get to a place with better job security.

Still nice optics to see Wake land an SEC DC to the same position, regardless of where it currently stands.

Last year was base 4-3, but was gradually incorporating more 3-4.

Thanks.

I like the 4-2-5. I would assume he could adapt to our personnel from a 4-3. I like the Rover position in college football with the spread offenses. Kemp is a good one too.

What kind of Scheme does he run? 4-3? 3-4? 4-2-5?

Apparently it was 0-0-0 this season.

Clawson is going to have sympathy for a SEC coordinator who had one bad year. If it happens, it looks like a good hire. I'm happy that it looks like he did an actual search even if he got a guy with a tie to the current staff.

I think it could've been mutual too. Bielema isn't in the best of shape down there. This is a good chance for a fresh start/clean break for Smith to get to a place with better job security.

Still nice optics to see Wake land an SEC DC to the same position, regardless of where it currently stands.

No kidding.

I agree on optics.

Another weird Wake-Arkansas connection. Arkansas' kicker Cole Hedlund is the little brother of former Wake kicker Chad Hedlund.

I like this hire a lot. Four years as a P5 DC, and he's had three elite years.

Presumably he has good recruiting ties in NJ. Where did Elko recruit?

I like this hire a lot. Four years as a P5 DC, and he's had three elite years.

Presumably he has good recruiting ties in NJ. Where did Elko recruit?

Elko covered Central FL and western NC.

I guess supporting the players in the boycott cost Clayes his job? 9-4 at Minnesota this year. 5-4 in the Big Ten. Lost in OT at Penn State and by only a TD against Iowa and at Nebraska. The "blowout" loss was 31-17 at Wisconsin.

One
concern I would have about him is because he was let go under somewhat unusual circumstances and did have a pretty strong resume as a head coach that he would be spending time looking for his next HC gig and not really commit fully to Wake. Under this scenario, he might be a one (or two) and done.

No kidding.

I agree on optics.

Another weird Wake-Arkansas connection. Arkansas' kicker Cole Hedlund is the little brother of former Wake kicker Chad Hedlund.

I'll be interested to see how Taylor Powell does for you. Met him a few months back and he seems like a great character guy.

Smith is a hard DC to figure out. He blitzed a lot at Rutgers (and had good defenses there) but rarely blitzed here and played very soft coverage. We had a top 10 defense in his first year led by three NFL draftees in our front 7 and thought we had gotten a steal. His second year our rush defense was still good, top 20 nationally, but our pass defense was really bad. Then this year our rush defense turned into the worst in school history and our pass defense got better but still wasn't great. With 9 returning starters we have no idea how we had such a big dropoff in our rush defense. Smith might have been the scapegoat but it was so bad it makes me wonder if there is something else going on there. We gave up 543 rushing yards to Auburn. Overall he has shown he can be a good DC before and I'm not sure what to make of him to be honest but someone had to go for the way we played this year. Similar situation with Jim Chaney when he left for Pitt. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

Right, the initial report said that there was no deal in place---maybe a job really hasn't been offered yet. That doesn't mean that the reports aren't true, or that a deal is in the works.

I'll be interested to see how Taylor Powell does for you. Met him a few months back and he seems like a great character guy.

Smith is a hard DC to figure out. He blitzed a lot at Rutgers (and had good defenses there) but rarely blitzed here and played very soft coverage. We had a top 10 defense in his first year led by three NFL draftees in our front 7 and thought we had gotten a steal. His second year our rush defense was still good, top 20 nationally, but our pass defense was really bad. Then this year our rush defense turned into the worst in school history and our pass defense got better but still wasn't great. With 9 returning starters we have no idea how we had such a big dropoff in our rush defense. Smith might have been the scapegoat but it was so bad it makes me wonder if there is something else going on there. We gave up 543 rushing yards to Auburn. Overall he has shown he can be a good DC before and I'm not sure what to make of him to be honest but someone had to go for the way we played this year. Similar situation with Jim Chaney when he left for Pitt. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

Appreciate the perspective -- and the fact you waited 2 1/2 years to make this one post.

Back