• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Search

Great find. Interesting choice. He is from Pennsylvania (went to Allegheny College). Like Clawson worked his way up the ladder. Grad assistant at Iowa. Position coach at Maine (FCS); worked his way to the Assistant Head Coach/DC at Maine. Schiano then hired Smith as the special teams/LB coach at Rutgers. He worked his way to the DC job at Rutgers. His last year at Rutgers, their defense was strong Rutgers went 9-3 losing to VA Tech 13-10 in the Russell Athletic Bowl. He spent one season (2013) with Schiano as the LB coach for the Bucs. The last 3 seasons, he has been the DC at Arkansas. The Arkansas defense was weak last year (#75 in NCAA rankings; #58 in Phil Steele's rankings).

Allegheny isn't on the same level as Williams (Clawson's alma mater), but it's a damn good, academically rigorous school. I'm sure Clawson likes that.

My only question: WTF had he done to his cap in this photo?

usa_today_9713633.0.jpg

My only question: WTF had he done to his cap in this photo?

usa_today_9713633.0.jpg

That's old school. He's around my age. That's how we wore them back in the day. Is Bielema that tall or is Robb a little guy?

I'll be interested to see how Taylor Powell does for you. Met him a few months back and he seems like a great character guy.

Smith is a hard DC to figure out. He blitzed a lot at Rutgers (and had good defenses there) but rarely blitzed here and played very soft coverage. We had a top 10 defense in his first year led by three NFL draftees in our front 7 and thought we had gotten a steal. His second year our rush defense was still good, top 20 nationally, but our pass defense was really bad. Then this year our rush defense turned into the worst in school history and our pass defense got better but still wasn't great. With 9 returning starters we have no idea how we had such a big dropoff in our rush defense. Smith might have been the scapegoat but it was so bad it makes me wonder if there is something else going on there. We gave up 543 rushing yards to Auburn. Overall he has shown he can be a good DC before and I'm not sure what to make of him to be honest but someone had to go for the way we played this year. Similar situation with Jim Chaney when he left for Pitt. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

Thoughts on his recruiting?

Thoughts on his recruiting?

He did get us Ryan Pulley from Fort Myers, FL who is looking like he'll be one of the best CBs we've had in a long time. But he's only had 2 full time recruiting cycles so it's a little hard to tell, i feel like position coaches do most of the recruiting anyways.

Guess Smith is not going to be DC. Would have happened by now if it was going to. IMO

DC needs to get on the ball and name his replacements-- recruits are watching

Back