• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Search

Deaconman

Reaction score
Any thoughts on who Clawson is considering for the defensive coordinator position?

You would think Clawson would want to get this done before the dead period ends- be helpful in holding our recruiting class together.

Possibly Bob Diaco ex-head coach from UConn. They always had good defenses. Phil Snow, Temple's current DC would be a good choice and our job would be a great step up for him.

What's Josh Gattis doing at Penn State?

I wouldn't hate promoting Cohen, and bring in deuce deuce to fill the open spot. He has been a pretty good recruiter for Franklin, though I'm not sure we could get him. I also would guess that Clawson is going to be a little wary about the Grobe era for a little while.

Gattis is a position coach at a upper tier P5. I doubt he would leave Penn State for anything less than a P5 OC job or a HC job.

Last edited:
Gattis is a position coach at a upper tier P5. I doubt he would leave Penn State for anything less than a P5 OC job or a HC job.

I agree, I'm also not sure this is the team to let someone learn how to be a coordinator with. Got some talent on that side of the ball would like to keep momentum rolling. On the other hand, there is a lot to be said for someone young, scrappy, and hungry.

I agree, I'm also not sure this is the team to let someone learn how to be a coordinator with. Got some talent on that side of the ball would like to keep momentum rolling. On the other hand, there is a lot to be said for someone young, scrappy, and hungry.

Too bad UNCG doesn't have a football program.

I'd be shocked if Clawson doesn't hire a current non-P5 DC or Cohen.

Clemson's defense against Ohio State was as good as I have seen in a long time. Do they have anyone working under Venable who we could take??

Jim Caldwell was a position coach at Penn State when Wake hired him as head coach. Just saying.

How about one of:

Bill Parcels
Erk Russell
Mike Singletary
Jeremy Pruitt
Bud Foster
Kirby Smart
Will Muschamp

Too bad UNCG doesn't have a football program.

I'd be shocked if Clawson doesn't hire a current non-P5 DC or Cohen.

This is my thought as well. Clawson understands what he needs. Until he proves us wrong, I trust his judgement.

Erik Russell died in 2006, so that wouldn't work.
The others.....maybe.

Erk. That's a real fuckin' football coach.

VLiWAr4p_400x400.jpg

Clemson's defense against Ohio State was as good as I have seen in a long time. Do they have anyone working under Venable who we could take??

Co-DC/DE Coach Marion Hobby has been around the block. He was with Coach Cut at Ole Miss and Duke. Did a stint with the Clemson and the Saints in between. Been back at Clemson for a few years. http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&ATCLID=205529432

DB Coach Mike Reed played safety at BC and was the last pick in the Panthers' first draft. He's coached at State and for the Philadelphia Eagles. http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&ATCLID=205879860

Didn't realize Brandon Streeter is their QB coach.

Back