• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

Congrats to Juan. seems like a guy who made a pretty good life for himself out of some pretty poor starting conditions.

Talk about culture shock! Going from Rape & Murder U to No Tattoo U.

Good to Juan, but seems a bit odd to go from coaching a D-II women's team for one year and assembling a 3-25 record to a D1 head coach. I realize that the Coppin State is one of the lowest D1 jobs out there and that Dixon has a lot of ties to the area, but it still seems like quite a stretch.

It's not like a lot of hot coaches are asking for that job. You might as well get someone with a name.

Dixon is from Baltimore (Coppin State is in Baltimore). He is still a local legend. Won a natty as the best player at the State University, had a nice NBA career and then assisted at MD. That's a good resume for a low D-1 program.

Coppin State went 8-24 in 2017, and has been an less than a D-1 after-thought since the glory days of Fang Mitchell in the late 90s and early 00s (Coppin won an NCAA 2/15 matchup against SC in the late 1990s). Worth taking chance on a local hero. Baltimore has a lot of hoop talent; so, you can build a decent program in that area with guys that either the bigger D-1 schools overlooked or can't touch.

We really need to schedule Coppin State. We owe Dixon an ass whoopin.

It's not like a lot of hot coaches are asking for that job. You might as well get someone with a name.

There are plenty of excellent coaches that would love that job. This is awful logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are plenty of excellent coaches that would love that job. This is awful logic.

How many coaches get better jobs after being HC of Coppin state?

How many "excellent" coaches want to take a job where they have to get their asses kicked to pay their salary?

Dixon is an excellent choice. He has tremendous ties to the community and a national reputation.

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Juan Dixon to Coppin St.)

You have to actually be able to coach. Dixon's hire is an insult to a lot of really good Division 2 coaches that would kill for that job. Dixons coaching resume is as a special assistant to Turgeon (that's not a coaching position, that is an honorary position), and then he was 3-25 at a low level women's program.

That is an embarrassing hire. Would be akin to us hiring josh Howard as our head coach. No offense to josh, but he doesn't have the resume yet.

And trust me RJ, there are literally hundreds of good college coaches out there that would love to take that job.

I'm sure if Pilchard came back to double down on his take despite a rebuttal from an expert in the field, he'd get called out too.

FWIW, do not agree with RJ that Dixon was the best possible candidate. Was pointing on the reasoning that Coppin used to select Dixon:

- From Baltimore
- Won a NC and played in the NBA
- Prominent name in the Baltimore/MD basketball community
- Assisted at U of MD (granted not a full-time assistant)

No doubt that the hire was a reach as Dixon's head coaching resume is one poor season coaching women's basketball.

Also, agree that there were more deserving candidates for Coppin to consider, but hiring basketball coaches is not about fairness. Coppin is taking a shot and making a splash hire. They certainly have received more pub already than if they hired a deserving unknown. So, they may have won the press conference, but that minor blip is over. Now up to Dixon to either succeed or fail.

RJ and Pilchard post basically the same thing. RJ gets attacked, Pilchard's post is not even mentioned.

I'm really shocked. This never happens. :)

Fang Mitchell was their coach for decades. From 1989-98, he won over twenty games six times and nineteen games twice, yet according to his own Wiki page the only offer he got was FIU.

For the last decade or so, the administration has ordained that team play an array of games to fund the program and coach's salary. This all but guarantees a losing a record. Not many coaches go from a preponderance of twenty loss seasons to a better job.

In 2015, Coppin State's coach made $144,000. I bet lots of top D2 coaches make that much or more.

But think about the reality of taking a job that pays poorly and has little of chance of success. If you are a successful D2 coach, it's much better to build your resume than take a dead end job.

From Coppin's POV getting a beloved local hero, who has never left the area, is better than a no name coach who might have more of a resume (assuming many of these want this job). Also from Coppin's POV, who is going to be able to raise more money, Dixon or a guy who might be able to the program around? Who is going to get into the living rooms of better players sooner?

I fully understand it's easy to take swings at me. This is a very wise hire for Coppin State.

Pilchard, I NEVER said this: "do not agree with RJ that Dixon was the best possible candidate"

I said "Dixon is an excellent choice. He has tremendous ties to the community and a national reputation."

Which is what you said.

Last edited:
Back