• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official NFL Playoffs Thread: Super Bowl 51 - Tom Brady GOAT

SD native Major Garrett to the Chargers on the 1A Friday News Roundup: "Good luck and good riddance."

For years, the NFL used the threat of moving teams to LA to get cities to pony up for new stadiums. What will they do now that LA has two teams? SD doesn't seem to want a team. If Oakland lets the Raiders go, will they want another team? If they don't, would another team want to move to Vegas? Is Vegas even a good location in the first place?

WTF? San Diego loved the chargers, and the city, and San Diego State ponied up a lot of money to get something done in Mission Valley. Because there was always more money to be made in LA, and the San Diego Mayor didn't support Dean Spanos raping taxpayers for a new stadium, that doesn't mean that "San Diego doesn't want a team"

Even when San Diego was winning their stadium was overrun by visiting fans. I don't think spending money on a stadium is a deterrent for spending money on your team when you're a billionaire.

The last couple of years, during the threat of the move, it was "overrun" but not before that.

You know better than I do so I'll take your word. I didn't get any sense that SD was planning to come up with the public funds necessary to attract a franchise.

You know better than I do so I'll take your word. I didn't get any sense that SD was planning to come up with the public funds necessary to attract a franchise.

San Diego did come up with public funding, to be put on 2018 ballot, that was a lot more reasonable than the hotel tax Dean Spanos proposed in 2016. Those funds would have been supported by the mayor, and he would have likely lobbied for a Yes vote, rather than against it like he did in 2016.

The other 150 million or so that would have kept the chargers in San Diego, was 100% on Dean Spanos to come up with out of his 2.1 billion. Instead, he chose to pay a 500 million relocation fee, but will probably double his profits in LA.

Side Note, I wouldn't be shocked if Mr. Davis entertained the idea of going to San Diego now. The Raiders are the most popular team in Southern California, and probably will remain so.

I get that. But if one greedy owner turned down the SD deal, which greedy owner won't turn it down?

San Diego did come up with public funding, to be put on 2018 ballot, that was a lot more reasonable than the hotel tax Dean Spanos proposed in 2016. Those funds would have been supported by the mayor, and he would have likely lobbied for a Yes vote, rather than against it like he did in 2016.

The other 150 million or so that would have kept the chargers in San Diego, was 100% on Dean Spanos to come up with out of his 2.1 billion. Instead, he chose to pay a 500 million relocation fee, but will probably double his profits in LA.

Side Note, I wouldn't be shocked if Mr. Davis entertained the idea of going to San Diego now. The Raiders are the most popular team in Southern California, and probably will remain so.

It's actually $550-650M making Spanos have to double his profits just to break even over the next decade.

If you were an advertiser, who would you rather spend money on? Chargers vs. Lakers? Dodgers? Clippers? Rams? Even the Kings and Ducks have very loyal fan bases. The Chargers don't.

When I think classy, I think East Rutherford New Jersey.

Agreed though. The values of these teams and concombinantly the net worth of the owners' has become so ridiculous that they should all be forced to finance at least 75% of new stadiums (municipalities should still be able to contribute, consult on design and location and help connect with public transit). If you build it as mixed use and make it a part of the neighborhood, it shouldn't be hard to make it profitable for the community.

The Benzie BHole opens this spring for ATL MLS.

tempOctober2--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Jesus Titty-Fucking Christ who designed that trainwreck of a stadium?

"All fixed now. Please don't make fun of us. We changed the color!"

NFL is just going to hand Da Boys the Lombardi trophy after they dismantle A-Rod and the stinky Pack? That's mighty generous of them!

So Phillip Rivers wanted the Chargers to stay in SD?

I'm glad they moved then!

NFL is just going to hand Da Boys the Lombardi trophy after they dismantle A-Rod and the stinky Pack? That's mighty generous of them!

How long before Fox fires up the Romocam? One incompletion by Dak? Rogers is going to drop 40 on that defense.

Back