• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official NFL Playoffs Thread: Super Bowl 51 - Tom Brady GOAT

The offensive face mask only happened on a scoring play before the outcome was decided; how could it have possibly affected the game?

First off, the offensive face mask wasn't even seen until about 4 replays of it, so it wasn't seen in the normal action on the field just because of the positioning of the officials. I can't say many of those plays have ever been seen in live action and they are watching for actual pass interference around the bodies. So yes, that was missed obviously after many reviews, but it is definitely not reviewable. And for that matter PI calls aren't reviewable. If it was up to me [and it is not] I would take ALL of the hand to hand contact away from both the offense & defense and make them play regular football. I don't see how in the world they can make any PI calls when they allow what they do? I see many many offensive PI calls missed, but that seems to be what they want because the NFL wants scoring, right? I don't know what their actual rule book says, but they need to take away all the contact from both sides.

And if you ask me, last night in the Natty, there were 2 very bad illegal pick plays missed on Clemson that allowed Tiger TD's at the goal line. I would not be surprised if next year in the NCAA's that pick plays are not a point of emphasis. But the last time I can remember one called of any importance was when Notre Dame was called for one at the goal line to give FSU a huge win in Oct 2014. But big games like the Natty tend to keep the officials flags in their pockets on "rub routes" like these and holding calls. But just like illegal picks in basketball, when they show up several times in big games and have a huge bearing on a game, they tend to make the NCAA officials films the next year as the "POI"-Points of Emphasis.

First off, the offensive face mask wasn't even seen until about 4 replays of it, so it wasn't seen in the normal action on the field just because of the positioning of the officials. I can't say many of those plays have ever been seen in live action and they are watching for actual pass interference around the bodies. So yes, that was missed obviously after many reviews, but it is definitely not reviewable. And for that matter PI calls aren't reviewable. If it was up to me [and it is not] I would take ALL of the hand to hand contact away from both the offense & defense and make them play regular football. I don't see how in the world they can make any PI calls when they allow what they do? I see many many offensive PI calls missed, but that seems to be what they want because the NFL wants scoring, right? I don't know what their actual rule book says, but they need to take away all the contact from both sides.

And if you ask me, last night in the Natty, there were 2 very bad illegal pick plays missed on Clemson that allowed Tiger TD's at the goal line. I would not be surprised if next year in the NCAA's that pick plays are not a point of emphasis. But the last time I can remember one called of any importance was when Notre Dame was called for one at the goal line to give FSU a huge win in Oct 2014. But big games like the Natty tend to keep the officials flags in their pockets on "rub routes" like these and holding calls. But just like illegal picks in basketball, when they show up several times in big games and have a huge bearing on a game, they tend to make the NCAA officials films the next year as the "POI"-Points of Emphasis.

That's all it took for TheReff to admit a missed call, folks....when it cost his Gamecocks the chance to crow about another SEC national title!

I think it's been shown pretty clearly that the DB initiated the contact on the 2nd TD, so that was not offensive pass interference at all. 1st one is more debatable, but typically the refs aren't going to flag you for it unless you make it pretty obvious. Clemson's receivers sold it well enough to where the refs let them play, good for them.

Dropped passes and missed blocks affect the outcome of the game but missed calls don't?

And I challenge you to watch a game and say less than 90% of the calls are no-brained not controversial calls.

And no Ph, you couldn't be further from the truth. I challenge you to actually get on the basketball court with a whistle for a full 40 minutes of a college game and run up & down the court watching all 10 players in a game from the proper area the 3 officials are supposed to be watching and then say that. With the numerous violations, near violations, contact, near contact, advantage/dis-advantage and thinking when to blow the whistle and more importantly when NOT to blow the whistle and have a no-call, you would think differently.

And in ACC football, the replay official, when he goes home on Sunday morning, his work is only starting, all as a part of his game fee from Saturday. He has to break down the game film for each of the 8 officials separately, play by play and give them a grade for all the plays in the game [which will number over 100]. He grades them not only on their calls they might have made on the play, but whether or not they should have had a flag, plus whether or not they were in the correct position on the field. And how did they handle a coach. I believe he has to have all this done by Monday morning and sent back to the ACC office, along with key plays that were correct & missed. Then all the officials are on a conference call Monday afternoon with the ACC office, officiating coordinator, reviewing the rules, film and whatever else. So nothing is a no-brained call, it just may be non-controversial in nature. They are all hard out there on the field when determining when to throw the flag on a hold, when it probably happens on every play [do you want a flag on every play?] or pass interference flag one way or the other [because I can guarantee you there is contact on almost every single pass route!]

So Ph, I challenge you to actually watch a game like this. Not from your tainted fan version.

A no-brainer call is non-controversial in nature. That's like the definition.

coverage info for this weekend:

DIVISIONAL ROUND

Sat 1/14, 4:30 PM Seattle @ Atlanta FOX Kevin Burkhardt, John Lynch
Sat 1/14, 8:00 PM Houston @ New England CBS Jim Nantz, Phil Simms
Sun 1/15, 1:00 PM Pittsburgh @ Kansas City NBC Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth
Sun 1/15, 4:30 PM Green Bay @ Dallas FOX Joe Buck, Troy Aikman

Will also update OP

coverage info for this weekend:

DIVISIONAL ROUND

Sat 1/14, 4:30 PM Seattle @ Atlanta FOX Kevin Burkhardt, John Lynch
Sat 1/14, 8:00 PM Houston @ New England CBS Jim Nantz, Phil Simms
Sun 1/15, 1:00 PM Pittsburgh @ Kansas City NBC Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth
Sun 1/15, 4:30 PM Green Bay @ Dallas FOX Joe Buck, Troy Aikman

Will also update OP

PICKS:

Seattle suck it matt ryan
New England BLOWOUT
KC in a close one
Green Bay SEE YA Dak/Dallas

that is the wrinkle in my plan but if Brady AND Garoppolo goes down, its not like the 3rd stringer would come in and shut out the Texans right?

Yeah, agree you'd have to kidnap all 3 QBs in order for Houston to have a chance. Even then, it could go into OT tied at 0-0. 16 is a ton of points to give in a playoff game, but give them.

Hawk, agree about your AFC picks, but I'm not so sure about the NFC. Atlanta has been awful before in the playoffs, but they're home and a lot healthier than Seattle. They gotta break through 1 of these days, right? And I have no idea as to what to expect in the Dallas game in terms of the results, but I would go with the over 52. The trouble I'm having is who to root for in the NFC. I want NE to lose, but I can't decide which NFC presents them with the toughest challenge. I'd normally say Seattle, but not as banged up as they are and with the OL playing this poorly.

I don't know much about Southern California culture so help me out. Looking at a map, there's probably a large percentage of the Chargers fan base who will still be within two hours of the stadium.

ESPN is saying the Chargers might play a season in the LA Galaxy stadium that can be expanded to seat around 30,000. Geez.

Last edited:
Back