• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official NFL Playoffs Thread: Super Bowl 51 - Tom Brady GOAT

DeacHawk

Punishingly Intricate
Reaction score
Wild Card weekend almost here. Most of these games, to be honest, suck on paper. Maybe they won't be so bad.

WILD CARD ROUND

Sat 1/7, 4:30 PM Oakland @ Houston ESPN/ABC Sean McDonough, Jon Gruden
Sat 1/7, 8:00 PM Detroit @ Seattle NBC Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth
Sun 1/8, 1:00 PM Miami @ Pittsburgh CBS Jim Nantz, Phil Simms
Sun 1/8, 4:30 PM NY Giants @ Green Bay FOX Joe Buck, Troy Aikman

My picks, cause pick segments rate: Houston easy, Seattle easier, Pittsburgh after a sluggish start, Green Bay in a f'ing shootout for the ages.

DISCUSS

DIVISIONAL ROUND

Sat 1/14, 4:30 PM Seattle @ Atlanta FOX Kevin Burkhardt, John Lynch
Sat 1/14, 8:00 PM Houston @ New England CBS Jim Nantz, Phil Simms
Sun 1/15, 1:00 PM Pittsburgh @ Kansas City NBC Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth
Sun 1/15, 4:30 PM Green Bay @ Dallas FOX Joe Buck, Troy Aikman

Last edited:
Think the Lions will give the Seahawks a game. Realize that Seattle has the pedigree, and the Lions stumbled down the stretch, but Seattle has played poor football over the last few games, and the Lions' closing schedule was daunting.

Like Houston to win as well, but not sure it will be "easy" with Brock at the helm.

Pittsburgh will win easy, but 10 points is a huge number for a playoff game.

Agree that the Packers/Giants will be tight; not sure it will be a shootout though. The Giants' defense is legit; the Giants' offense may not be.

I hear you on Brock, I think easy more on the terms of Connor Cook for the Raiders

So in the Divisional Round the Pats will face one of Brock Osweiler, Tom Savage, Matt Mcgloin, Connor Cook, Matt Moore, or at the very worst Ryan Tannehill

Mostly agree with Pilch. But the only game I'm looking forward to watching is GB/NYG. Oakland without Carr at Houston could be the worst caliber playoff game in a while. If betting, I'd bet on the AFC home teams and the NFC road teams with the current lines - I think Detroit and NYG will keep those games close.

So in the Divisional Round the Pats will face one of Brock Osweiler, Tom Savage, Matt Mcgloin, Connor Cook, Matt Moore, or at the very worst Ryan Tannehill

Yup, that about sums up the AFC playoffs.

The Patriots started more QBs in 2016 (3) than those QB's threw interceptions on the season (2).

Patriots can sleepwalk for two weeks, but think that Pittsburgh,or even KC, will be very competitive with the Pats even in NE in the AFC title game. Other than the NE walkover, the other 3 Divisional round matchups should be really good next weekend.

Last edited:
The Patriots started more QBs in 2016 (3) than those QB's threw interceptions on the season (2).

Patriots can sleepwalk for two weeks, but think that Pittsburgh,or even KC, will be very competitive with the Pats even in NE in the AFC title game. Other than the NE walkover, the other 3 Divisional round matchup should be really good next weekend.

I think KC beats Pitt at home, and they have a defense that can hold the Pats under 30. NE can name their score against Pitt's D. The other difference for KC is Tyreek Hill. Smith is only an okay QB, and KC has lacked big play makers, so they've had to rely on defense and field goals the last 2-3 years. Hill has given them that over the last half of the season, and he makes them more dangerous in the playoffs. I mean I still favor NE, but KC is the 1 AFC team which could give them a game.

I think KC beats Pitt at home, and they have a defense that can hold the Pats under 30. NE can name their score against Pitt's D. The other difference for KC is Tyreek Hill. Smith is only an okay QB, and KC has lacked big play makers, so they've had to rely on defense and field goals the last 2-3 years. Hill has given them that over the last half of the season, and he makes them more dangerous in the playoffs. I mean I still favor NE, but KC is the 1 AFC team which could give them a game.

KC would give NE a great game at Arrowhead, maybe even pull off an upset. But they won't win in Foxboro. The Pats take away what other teams rely on better than any other team. Tyreek Hill would not be a factor. Also, I'm a believer that Andy Reid can get you to the dance, but he can't get you laid.

Pittsburgh can keep up offensively with NE, depending on which team shows up. They have played much better going down the stretch than they did early on, but they are still too suspect for me to bet on beating NE in a playoff game.

Nobody else in the AFC matters, IMHO, without Carr starting in Oakland. Miami will fold like a cheap tent.

Still think KC gives NE a better game than Pitt, but yeah, the AFC is pretty much a joke, and NE has maybe the easiest path to the SB since we've had at least 4 teams from each conference in there.

The NFC is at least more interesting. The Det/Sea winner goes home the next weekend. But Atl, GB and NYG could be interesting for Dal. And unlike NE, which essentially gets a 2nd bye, Dal is likely to face the GB/NYG winner and then Atl.

How do these fuckers always luck out like this, every year, without fail

did NBC not get first choice? Thought they did and would've gone NYG/GB.

FOX and CBS pay more than NBC for their football packages (FOX pays $600 million+ more over the span of the contract than NBC, in fact), so the NFL tries to balance all three networks wants, especially now that ESPN takes a wild-card game and NBC takes a divisional game each year.

NYG/Green Bay is the clear ratings winner in the wild card round, so makes sense to let FOX have that on Sunday at 4:30pm (the game that will earn the highest rating of the weekend). Same reason Green Bay/Washington was on in that same spot last year. Then, for the divisional round, the Cowboys will get the best ratings of any team involved, so you stick them in the Sunday 4:40pm slot and get a monster rating (just like Denver vs. Pittsburgh got that same slot in last year's divisional round since it was the most attractive possible divisional round matchup).

Still think KC gives NE a better game than Pitt, but yeah, the AFC is pretty much a joke, and NE has maybe the easiest path to the SB since we've had at least 4 teams from each conference in there.

The NFC is at least more interesting. The Det/Sea winner goes home the next weekend. But Atl, GB and NYG could be interesting for Dal. And unlike NE, which essentially gets a 2nd bye, Dal is likely to face the GB/NYG winner and then Atl.

I don't think it's automatic that Seattle loses to Atlanta. Atlanta should absolutely win, but it's no gimme, even with all of Seattle's injuries.

I don't think it's automatic that Seattle loses to Atlanta. Atlanta should absolutely win, but it's no gimme, even with all of Seattle's injuries.

Seattle's D hasn't been as good, and their OL is atrocious. And Atlanta has a decent enough pass rush. I can't see them winning in Atlanta without their all-pro safety. And this presumes they beat Detroit - I'll take the Lions +8.

cville loooooooves him some jim caldwell

I'm pulling for Detroit to get the upset so that they get a chance at playoff redemption against Dallas, and then the ATL-GB/NYG would be much better than ATL-SEA

Back