• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach Clawson Hires Wayne Lineburg as ST Coach

Not excited about his background.

Not excited about his background.

Well, his one year at ST coach at UConn is certainly less than inspiring even though his team did well at punt and kickoff coverage. However, it's nice to have a former OC, Associate HC and Interim HC as the ST coach. He brings a ton of experience to the staff. As mentioned in the article, it also seems like he had a bit of a talent deficit at UConn.

I will trust Clawson on this one given that basically let one of his guys go to hire this guy.

It isn't like the cream of the coaching crop accepts a job as an ST coach. Sheesh.

Know all about Lineburg, his brothers and his dad..they were all good hs players and his dad is a legend hof hs coach...but, clawson could have done much better than this hire...time will tell....

Obligatory MFF

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that Diaco and staff were brought aboard in January of 2014. Lineburg spent his first year with the Huskies coaching special teams. That would be the 2014-15 season, with games ending on 1/12/15. If that is correct, then BSD has the wrong numbers. Lineburg's unit actually finished 1st in the country in kickoff coverage and 24th in punt coverage, although their return game was lousy.

Per the NCAA site, UConn's kick/punt return defense was 110/53 the year before Lineburg took over and 66/18 the year he was shuffled off special teams. BSD bloggers, feel free to tell me how I screwed up.

Given Lineburg's connections to Richmond, I'm guessing he'll take Scheier's recruiting area of NoVa/DC/MD as well

Know all about Lineburg, his brothers and his dad..they were all good hs players and his dad is a legend hof hs coach...but, clawson could have done much better than this hire...time will tell....

Yep, just talked with a good buddy of mine who is a fellow VHSL hall of famer himself & knows the Dad Lineburg very well from the coaching ranks said they come from great stock. The Dad was a legend at Radford HS and Wayne Lineburg has been around football & coaching all of his life and knows the game. I would think he would really help us in the recruiting area of Virginia.

Recruiting connections to high schools in Virginia make this an upside hire.

Wonder if any of Lineburg's recruits to UConn would fit at Wake and if so any chance for a flip for us..

Wonder if any of Lineburg's recruits to UConn would fit at Wake and if so any chance for a flip for us..

Saw a story about Edsall bailing on a LB recruit from NJ the other day after telling him last week he still had a spot (Matt Colburn style). Not a position of need though

Back