• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ricky Proehl stepping down at panthers

Nice guy and a great representative of Wake. Wish him the best of luck. I know it will be great for him to watch his son play.

Proehl's two WR sons are at Cheater Hill and Easy U- guess neither was of WF timber academically. ;)

Hm, rumors that him and Kelvin didn't get along

Proehl's two WR sons are at Cheater Hill and Easy U- guess neither was of WF timber academically. ;)

The UNC one played Wake for an offer. There's a backstory here, and I don't recall the details, but the Proehls were not well-received by the coaching staff (must have been Grobe's at the time).

Makes no difference. Ricky was an awesome representative of Wake Forest, a class act and also great in the NFL. They will miss him at the Panthers but he is making the right move to watch his sons play college football. He can always go back to coaching--he can't get this time back when his sons are playing.

The UNC one played Wake for an offer. There's a backstory here, and I don't recall the details, but the Proehls were not well-received by the coaching staff (must have been Grobe's at the time).

Gunter Brewer is UNC's WR coach, and apparently was a teammate of Ricky's.

Correct. Austin played Wake for his first and only p5 offer at the time (at Wake camp). Once that offer was on the table he received an offer from UNC and pretty much told Grobe and co. to kiss it.

There are more details that I cannot remember, but it was dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This leaves Joe Kenn as the only Deacon down there.

Correct. Austin played Wake for his first and only p5 offer at the time (at Wake camp). Once that offer was on the table he received an offer from UNC and pretty much told Grobe and co. to kiss it.

There are more details that I cannot remember, but it was dirty.

Earning an offer then getting more doesn't sound dirty.

I mean, can you blame him? He has caught 70 balls in 3 years at UNC as a 2nd string WR. We barely completed 70 passes total this year. Not to mention playing in 3 bowls and an ACC championship game.

He is in position to catch 70+ next year. If we have a WR catch 60 balls, it will be a miracle.

All is fair in love, war and recruiting. We are certainly loving it when we can flip somebody our way, just like we did a couple years ago to get Jesse Bates away from Toledo [Clawson's much hated rivals from the old days at Bowling Green when they were his only offer].

There is more to the story. I can't remember exact details.

I certainly agree that recruiting is war and not too much is unfair or dirty but the way it was handled was completely disrespectful to his dad's alma mater (well- the alma mater of his entire family).

Also, I can't blame a kid for choosing to make his own footprints at a different university. Completely understandable.

IIRC, there were reports that Proehi would commit to if WF offered. WF offered. Proehl hedged; UNC got involved, and Proehl ended up in Chapel Hill. Staff felt that they got played a little. In the history of recruiting transgressions, it does not make the list. Probably wouldn't have been a big deal except for his dad was a WF all-time great.

From an Austin Proehl thread, posted by StrickDeac:

Here's your Austin Proehl story:

Despite some of the comments made on this thread, once Austin was offered, he was never "out-recruited" or "cooled-on." He received something daily from the WFU staff once he was offered.

Austin Proehl had an Ohio offer for months and nothing else. That was it. He daily begged the Wake Forest coaches for an offer. No other P5 school was going to offer a kid if the school where his daddy was a legend at wasn't going to. Wake eventually offered. When they did, Wake was going all "option-style" and that "scared" Austin a little. He didn't commit instantly as the staff thought he would (after all, the kid had been begging for it for a long time).

The biggest "problem" in Austin's recruitment was that his recruiting (or area) coach changed four times between Galloway, Duffie, Belin, and Stubblefield. After Duffie left, Belin + Stubbs split the recruitment as both had the Charlotte area (one north, the other south) - Belin has a tight relationship with the family and Stubbs was the WR coach. Regardless, Austin continually felt the love from the staff once he was offered. He was even pulled out of Wake's Elite Summer Camp to meet in Grobe's office for over 30 minutes.

He camped at VT and got an offer. He went to Fedora's Freak Show, mostly because Gunter Brewer got him an invite. UNC later offered, and Austin committed instantly.

When Clawson was hired, he tried to re-recruit Austin. It didn't work out. Ricky was annoyed he wasn't interviewed for the Wake HC job (I don't know if this had a role in Austin's recruitment, that's a story for another day).

Bottom line, the kid used Wake to get more offers. He saw the "big state school" and had a HS teammate committed to UNC. He saw a big boost in his twitter followers once he was offered by UNC (seems silly, but kids care about that).

I do think Austin is generally a good kid, but this was a punk move by him, and his "celebration" was another punk move last night.

K Vegas. Thanks for the summary. This line blew me away: Ricky was annoyed he wasn't interviewed for the Wake HC job

Does every former WF coach/player feel some sort of entitlement that WF should always take care of them? Love Ricky Proehl, but he is not going from radio play by play to head coach. Have some sense of reality.

Wouldn't mind seeing Ricky P, being looked at if OC position opens...

K Vegas. Thanks for the summary. This line blew me away: Ricky was annoyed he wasn't interviewed for the Wake HC job

Does every former WF coach/player feel some sort of entitlement that WF should always take care of them? Love Ricky Proehl, but he is not going from radio play by play to head coach. Have some sense of reality.

Agree, if RP was annoyed he didn't interview for our HC job, that is ludicrous.....

+1

Back