• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winston-Salem High Schools?

CHDeac says you are more of a dork than a nerd...

Easy answer. Send her to live with Uncle Bubble Boy who can home school her. The Bucs/Jags/Dolphins are gonna be good next year so you got that angle covered.

Easy answer. Send her to live with Uncle Bubble Boy who can home school her. The Bucs/Jags/Dolphins are gonna be good next year so you got that angle covered.

Don't forget the giant alligators. And all of the loony people making entertaining news stories.

Didn't you hear Betsy DeVos? Public school is dead. Don't know why you're even considering this

The public schools are unfenced, and grizzlies can just stroll right in. Make sure your child is armed.

Does Reynolds suck now or what? That'd be a shame. Best looking school/best location of all of them.

Does Reynolds suck now or what? That'd be a shame. Best looking school/best location of all of them.

Meh, not sure about that. I have two there now and will have three there next year. Football is perennially bad, but plenty of sports where Reynolds excels.

My kids love it. Some AP's at career center and take some at RJR. They play sports. Great campus environment, extremely diverse student body, interesting classes/productions available from the arts-based magnet thing.

Buttermaker?

And why is it considered a negative that Tabor is moving down to 3A? Seems like they're already very competitive at most sports

Meh, not sure about that. I have two there now and will have three there next year. Football is perennially bad, but plenty of sports where Reynolds excels.

My kids love it. Some AP's at career center and take some at RJR. They play sports. Great campus environment, extremely diverse student body, interesting classes/productions available from the arts-based magnet thing.

Buttermaker?

It is the arts school, so many go there for that reason. I think the test scores reflect the zoning, which includes probably the wealthiest zip code in Winston as well as perhaps the poorest. You get a lot of kids without the personal/home resources and support some of the other kids get. As Dkin said, the school is very diverse which I think is a positive and part of one's education. LIke all public schools, there are good teachers and, let's say, less good teachers. Football has been bad, and the well-publicized effort to get a multi-sports stadium near campus has floundered for a variety of reasons. I could go on at length on that last topic... Reynolds has been good at some of the other, non-revenue generating sports. I had one graduate last year and another there now. Both love it.

Last edited:
I think probably the most positive part of my education growing up in Winston was that I went from Kimberley Park to Cook to Reynolds, all of which seemed to me to be about 50/50 (probably not exactly) white/minority. I wouldn't change that for anything.

I think probably the most positive part of my education growing up in Winston was that I went from Kimberley Park to Cook to Reynolds, all of which seemed to me to be about 50/50 (probably not exactly) white/minority. I wouldn't change that for anything.

yep

whitaker and jefferson elementary less so, but then hanes > tabor

I should have been a Brunson/Wiley/Reynolds kid, but K. Park and Cook were the magnet schools, so I ended up there. I wish I had attended at least another year at Reynolds, but my fam was headed out West.

Brunson > Jefferson > Paisley > Jefferson Middle > Tabor

That's the correct path.

Jefferson E > Hanes > Jefferson M > Tabor

Pretending that Hanes was diverse is kind of a joke. We were kept in our HAG 95% white safe space for almost the entire day.

Jefferson E > Hanes > Jefferson M > Tabor

Pretending that Hanes was diverse is kind of a joke. We were kept in our HAG 95% white safe space for almost the entire day.

We took classes, ate lunch, and played sports with the non-hags. I made some good friends. :noidea:

Back