• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Remaining basketball games

Okay, if you live in Raleigh and enjoy watching State lose, then I get it. I hate State as well. But yeah, I am not upbeat about the state of our program and where we've been the last 7 years. And it's a shame because I like Danny and was initially hopeful he'd turn things around. But we're still hard to watch, especially on the defensive end.

hmmm

I acknowledge Skip's teams underachieved in the postseason and often on the defensive end. But we went through a stretch in the 90s and 00s where we went dancing 14 times and to the NIT 4 times in a 20 year span. While we never reached the promised land, we were usually a contender under Odom, Prosser and even Dino. I was happy with that. Compare that to now. We're still wandering in the desert with what, 4-5 ACC road wins in the last 7 seasons? And while we have some talent, we still don't have enough ACC caliber talent and still don't play decent defense. I watch this team and still don't consider it a tourney team. Sorry. I also think I underestimated just how badly Wellman and Buzzdick trashed our program and how difficult it was really going to be to rebuild.

The timing of this hottake is what confuses me. We are coming off of beating a top-35 team and we are heading into a stretch where we could play ourselves right into legitimate tourney talk.

We can't let the pain and trauma from our past affect the way we view and support this years team, especially since we DO have talent.

Go Deacs, Beat State, lets GOO

The timing of this hottake is what confuses me. We are coming off of beating a top-35 team and we are heading into a stretch where we could play ourselves right into legitimate tourney talk.

We can't let the pain and trauma from our past affect the way we view and support this years team, especially since we DO have talent.

Go Deacs, Beat State, lets GOO

Creamy is getting creamy! VIBES!

The State game is huge. We are really at a cross roads. We definitely look better, and should even be better next year. Win this game, and it could be a nice break through road win which we desperately need. Lose it, and we drop to 2-5, and have another road loss to a mediocre to poor team to pile onto the heap. Hoping we step up and take a W out of Raleigh.

Agreed. This is such a huge game. If we can build some steam off of Wednesdays game, it could carry us. If we win tomorrow, the bubble talk is real folks. Lose tomorrow, and it could be full on melt down. I had melted down pretty hard after the Clemson game. That game is one that still haunts me.

The game is bigger to State than it is to us, but both teams need this one.

It's the first time in 3 years we are actually expected to win a road game, but it's still a 56/44 toss-up. We need one out of the next two, so tomorrow would be a great start.

The game is bigger to State than it is to us, but both teams need this one.

It's the first time in 3 years we are actually expected to win a road game, but it's still a 56/44 toss-up. We need one out of the next two, so tomorrow would be a great start.

Agreed in the whole picture of resumes etc... but for our own psyche, this is a huge one.

I expect the next 5 games to be close and all are winnable.

Will we win them all? Probably not.

Will I go into each of them optimistic that we can come out with a win? Absolutely.

Would love to see us take at least 1 of the next 2 on the road before returning home to beat Duke.

We all know State has talent - look at where they were picked pre-season. They have been playing like crap. I think Gottfried is not a good coach and they have not been playing like a team. However, I would not be surprised to see them pull it all together to some extent tomorrow and beat us. If that happens, I am not going to give up on the season or decide that we are a bad team. This is still a rivalry game for them, it is a must-win game for them (even more so than for us), and we always struggle in Raleigh.

All that goes out the window if we truly lay an egg and play like dog-crap. The above is assuming we play well and State just manages to play a little better.

All that being said, I expect us to play well and I expect us to win a pretty close game.

Seriously.

There must be way more banners hanging from our rafters than I realized

I'm always excited to beat State.

Are we actually "expected" to win this game by objective observers? Vegas Insider lines I see are either PK or Wake -1.

Are we actually "expected" to win this game by objective observers? Vegas Insider lines I see are either PK or Wake -1.

What do you mean by "expected by objective observers"?

Wake is either a toss-up or a 2 point favorite (basically a toss-up). KP has Wake projected to win by 2, but that's 56%, basically a coin flip.

Really the key is win at State or Syracuse. Winning both is gravy, but winning one puts us roughly on track to where we need to be and winning back to back road games in conference is pretty difficult. I know this won't be any consolation for the meltdown that will occur if we do lose to State tomorrow, but just win one of these two games.

It's kind of funny because we are projected to go 8-10, but if we win tomorrow we will be at 9-9 on KenPom, bringing even MORE neigh sayers from our own fan base out!!!

It's kind of funny because we are projected to go 8-10, but if we win tomorrow we will be at 9-9 on KenPom, bringing even MORE neigh sayers from our own fan base out!!!

Neigh sayers ? You mean like horses ?

Aren't we projected to win tomorrow? How would that change our projected wins?

Back