• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins is #2 in KP's All-ACC Ratings

i mean yeah, it seems like 75% of JC's fouls are off ball and tough to avoid bc they're on the fine edge of contact that happens almost every play.

Is there a reason we don't play Moore at the 5 and JC at the 4 for stretches? As a guy that admittedly doesn't watch much hoops, seems like it could be an impossible duo to defend.

They actually have played together for a number of stretches. Doral simply has no position other than center, and putting Collins on ACC 4's is a recipe for more fouls which is the nightmare scenario for our team - our entire offense runs through Collins. If I remember one time we went twin towers Collins picked up back-to-back fouls in a single possession. Plus Doral is still pretty limited. More of him is not really something an NCAA tourney team would be hoping for.

It'd be a big bummer to have a borderline lottery guy jump after we missed the tournament.

Have we ever had a draft pick who never played in an NCAA Tournament in the 64+ team field era?

Have we ever had a draft pick who never played in an NCAA Tournament in the 64+ team field era?

Since 2001? No, but the projected #1 pick in this year's draft will not have played in an NCAA Tournament.

Romar has to be paying recruits, right?

They actually have played together for a number of stretches. Doral simply has no position other than center, and putting Collins on ACC 4's is a recipe for more fouls which is the nightmare scenario for our team - our entire offense runs through Collins. If I remember one time we went twin towers Collins picked up back-to-back fouls in a single possession. Plus Doral is still pretty limited. More of him is not really something an NCAA tourney team would be hoping for.

How then would JC defend an NBA 4? I assume he's projected as a 4 and not a 5.

I feel that defense is going to be an issue for JC in the NBA. He is a good on ball, face up defender against someone in the paint, but he often seems lost otherwise (that's just what I sense, admittedly not backed up by much evidence) and I certainly don't feel like he could guard and NBA 4 and may struggle to guard and NBA 5...of course, some of that comes with time and development, but that's what I see right now....I'm sure a good bit of that is that I'm hoping he doesn't leave so I'm trying to tell myself he's not ready.

This. We need him to kick some ACC ass next season as payback for 7 years of hell. :thumbsup:

Do people really feel like this year has been hell? I get the frustration at all the near misses and even the overwrought fear that our late game collapses against better teams are indicative of Manning's ceiling as a coach, but I truly don't understand people who watch this team play and lump it in with the past 6 years.

Do people really feel like this year has been hell? I get the frustration at all the near misses and even the overwrought fear that our late game collapses against better teams are indicative of Manning's ceiling as a coach, but I truly don't understand people who watch this team play and lump it in with the past 6 years.

Not everybody is as pumped about 13-9 as you, even with context included.

JC needs to get stronger, develop at least 18 foot range, and learn how to pass out of the high and low post.

He can learn all that on an NBA bench (though the passing is probably more dependent on live game action), but I also think Manning gives him a better opportunity than most coaches to learn all of that here.

Despite the gut-wrenching losses, agree that it's finally fun to watch WF basketball again (well, at least until the 5 minute mark of the 2nd half).

Not everybody is as pumped about 13-9 as you, even with context included.

Fair enough, but lumping that in with the last six years or calling it hell seems extreme and doesn't square with the actual product on the floor.

If this season is "hell" we might as well just call it 12 years with a one season blip. This is our second best team since Chris Paul left.

Last edited:
Collins still has a lot of improvements to be made to be an effective 4 in the NBA and even to completely and consistently dominate college. He's close on the latter but the NBA is a massive jump. Whether he wants to get drafted on potential or stay here and continue the obvious development under Manning (who has been there, done that) and likely be a top 15 pick next year is a debate that none of us can really answer right now. Having Manning on staff though is a serious plus in this situation. A lot different than playing for a guy like Boeheim.

Chad Ford released a new big board today for the top 30 2017 NBA prospects.

24. John Collins
Previous rank: N/A
Wake Forest
Sophomore
Forward

Collins has been really strong in ACC play, averaging 23 PPG and 9 RPG while shooting a ridiculous 72 percent from the field.

While Collins is a sophomore, he's younger than some of the freshmen on our board. He won't turn 20 until late September.

Back