• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins is #2 in KP's All-ACC Ratings

At this point, I am just going to assume Collins is gone while trying to enjoy the rest of the season.

Here is his blurb on Collins:
"The Hawks' entire crop of power forwards is set to enter free agency this summer. Collins ranks second in the NCAA in player efficiency rating (PER).

He's crazy efficient around the basket, a great athlete and a very good defender. He may be the most underrated player on the board. I won't be surprised if he moves up significantly before the draft."

I'm pretty sure that over the past two years "efficient" has surpassed the aggregate historical total of "long", "elite", and "jumpshot" in basketball discussion. I immediately tune out anyone who uses it at this point.

I am a huge John Collins fan, but the JC is "a very good defender" assessment is a stretch at this point. He may become a good defender, but his offense is miles ahead of his defense at this point.

Last edited:
I am huge John Collins fan, but the JC is "a very good defender" assessment is a stretch at this point. He may become a good defender, but his offense is miles ahead of his defense at this point.

Yes, Ford is a hack. He retroactively changes his mock drafts after the real ones happen to make himself look better. I think he's totally at sea as an NBA scout compared to the dudes at DraftExpress. His only value is he does have contact with NBA scouts and GMs because of his position at ESPN.

I'm pretty sure that over the past two years "efficient" has surpassed the aggregate historical total of "long", "elite", and "jumpshot" in basketball discussion. I immediately tune out anyone who uses it at this point.

It's become pretty clear to me that you tune out pretty much anything that has basis in reality, so that makes sense in this regard.

He can leave for the NBA if, and only if, he gets us to Sweet 16 this season. Otherwise, he's not allowed. That is all...

I am a huge John Collins fan, but the JC is "a very good defender" assessment is a stretch at this point. He may become a good defender, but his offense is miles ahead of his defense at this point.

Yes, Ford is a hack. He retroactively changes his mock drafts after the real ones happen to make himself look better. I think he's totally at sea as an NBA scout compared to the dudes at DraftExpress. His only value is he does have contact with NBA scouts and GMs because of his position at ESPN.

I guarantee you that Ford's "very good defender" assessment is based solely on the fact that Collins is averaging 2.7 blocks and 0.9 steals per 40 minutes pace adjusted.

I guarantee you that Ford's "very good defender" assessment is based solely on the fact that Collins is averaging 2.7 blocks and 0.9 steals per 40 minutes pace adjusted.

Hence why the opinion of anyone who uses "efficient" is usually garbage.

Hence why the opinion of anyone who uses "efficient" is usually garbage.

61423535.jpg

2017 compared to 2018

He can leave for the NBA if, and only if, he gets us to Sweet 16 this season. Otherwise, he's not allowed. That is all...

I can live with him turning pro if he leads us into the Sweet 16, but he should also look at how much higher he will likely be drafted in the 2018 draft (Top 10) vs. the 2017 draft (Top 25). I know it is tough to turn down that kind of money, but the opportunity to play with your buddies, learn from Danny Manning and make more $$$ only a year later, is tough to beat.

Don't rush it, John. It's going to be there for you. Be the exception.

I can live with him turning pro if he leads us into the Sweet 16, but he should also look at how much higher he will likely be drafted in the 2018 draft (Top 10) vs. the 2017 draft (Top 25). I know it is tough to turn down that kind of money, but the opportunity to play with your buddies, learn from Danny Manning and make more $$$ only a year later, is tough to beat.

Don't rush it, John. It's going to be there for you. Be the exception.

has anyone run the numbers on this?

has anyone run the numbers on this?

yeah he makes $500,000k a year a decade from now if he leaves after this year (below the nba min, tough break for JC) and $10mm a year in a decade if he waits a year.

honestly the choice is clear imo

yeah he makes $500,000k a year a decade from now if he leaves after this year (below the nba min, tough break for JC) and $10mm a year in a decade if he waits a year.

someone call danny

make sure they also reiterate the wfu22 thread notes about getting the ball to collins

Told you guys you could put whatever number you think is realistic in there. I had to use something so the, uh, math would, uh, actually calculate a result.

If you don't like fine, it's a valid method for making financial decisions. Probably better than stay around and play with your friends and learn from Danny (since we've already established that not matter what NBA team he winds up at he will get top notch dedicated coaching where they will stand by him for a minimum of two years until he's a valuable contributor to that team). We all know everyone that goes in the 1st round just gets max contracts every time their contract is up.

Continue to complain and whine, not that he's listening but if he's 100% assured of making more money by leaving this year he should. And essentially what is being said is there is zero value for JC to stay another year, except for soft touchy feely feelings about friends, coaches and his school.

Whatever.

Told you guys you could put whatever number you think is realistic in there. I had to use something so the, uh, math would, uh, actually calculate a result.

If you don't like fine, it's a valid method for making financial decisions. Probably better than stay around and play with your friends and learn from Danny (since we've already established that not matter what NBA team he winds up at he will get top notch dedicated coaching where they will stand by him for a minimum of two years until he's a valuable contributor to that team). We all know everyone that goes in the 1st round just gets max contracts every time their contract is up.

Continue to complain and whine, not that he's listening but if he's 100% assured of making more money by leaving this year he should. And essentially what is being said is there is zero value for JC to stay another year, except for soft touchy feely feelings about friends, coaches and his school.

Whatever.

Multiple people have already responded to your post sincerely... the idea that leaving as a soph vs. as a junior would impact your contract earnings that much many years down the road is ludicrous. The only financial calculation that needs to be made is if there is more money to be made during the life of the 1st contract if you wait a year than the amount of money you make from the extra year of earning potential by leaving earlier. The determination was he probably needs to increase his draft position 10+ spots, and with the way he's trending this year that doesn't seem likely.

However, the #1 thing Wake possibly might have going for them is if JC has touchy feely feelings about his life right now at Wake and isn't in a hurry to face a lot of responsibility.

It's all about the third contract.

Back