• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins is #2 in KP's All-ACC Ratings

Collins might be an NBA player one day, but I don't think there is anyway he would leave after this year. His game is still incomplete, and he has been way too inconsistent. His size is a problem in the NBA. at 6'8" (probably closer to 6'7" if you ask me) he is going to have a lot of problems with PFs. He needs to get stronger, and really work on his shooting before he is ready to make the leap. I think we have him for 4 years, and then I think he has a MONSTER senior season is drafted in the top 10, much like a Kris Dunn. He will still only be 21 years old when he graduates from college, and will actually be younger than a guy like Bacon (FSU) who is already almost 22 years old as a sophomore.

Thomas was 6'7". Collins is a legit 6'9" with long arms and good hops. When he develops a consistent 15 foot jumper, he will be NBA ready.

There were some negative comments on him by scouts after the UNC game for not playing well against the top competition. I think he's a year away and has plenty to work on including passing out of the post and extending his range. His free throws looked awesome last night. He can definitely shoot. A very tough cover.
I feel very comfortable when he's on the court. I know he's playing relentless and intelligent basketball. If we get beat with him on the floor, tip your hat to the other team.

There were some negative comments on him by scouts after the UNC game for not playing well against the top competition. I think he's a year away and has plenty to work on including passing out of the post and extending his range. His free throws looked awesome last night. He can definitely shoot. A very tough cover.
I feel very comfortable when he's on the court. I know he's playing relentless and intelligent basketball. If we get beat with him on the floor, tip your hat to the other team.

I think his defensive intelligence is probably the one thing holding him back the most. He doesn't square up and so he is often called for fouls. He doesn't always give early help and so when he does help he is out of position and he fouls.

I have been on the Collins bandwagon from the day we signed him but he is not a pro yet. Perhaps I am Wrong about his height and he simply is too weak to score in the post against larger post players but either way he has a size issue to overcome. He looks very good when defensed by anyone 6'8" and below. When defensed by any larger pf or c he has really struggled. When he is measured at the combine I will be curious as to his actual height. I would almost bet $$ he is 6'8" or less.

Regardless, We need him to be our primary scoring option against all defenders. Hopefully for his NBA stock and for our teams benefit, he will be able to do that soon. Kid is only 19. Not surprising that his body is still filling out. Not everyone is Lebron James.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why do people think his range is an issue? I think his 10-15 foot shot is pretty unique for a guy his size at Wake. If you mean he doesn't take threes then I understand, but he can step out and hit a jump shot when he needs to.

Range is an issue at the next level.

This. He IS going to develop an excellent 15-20 foot game if not be a solid NBA stretch 4, but it isn't there yet or at least hasn't been shown. He will get there. Just hasn't shown it yet. I guarantee you he is working on it and it is probably a lot closer to being used than we realize.

I can remember one power forward I coached who his first year attempted 0 three pointers. But he had a good release and was working. Middle of his sophomore year he still hadn't attempted but a few threes. We entered the NCAA tournament and in our 2nd game he made 6 threes and won the game for us. He had worked for 18 months and he finally got the confidence to go for it.

I predict that is what happens with Collins. He is going to show up one game and hit multiple threes and really change his draft stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Horford never made a three in his 3 seasons at Florida. Now he shoots them at a decent clip in the NBA. I'd think Collins will need to develop a similar game to Horford to be an effective NBA player.

This. He IS going to develop an excellent 15-20 foot game if not be a solid NBA stretch 4, but it isn't there yet or at least hasn't been shown. He will get there. Just hasn't shown it yet. I guarantee you he is working on it and it is probably a lot closer to being used than we realize.

I can remember one power forward I coached who his first year attempted 0 three pointers. But he had a good release and was working. Middle of his sophomore year he still hadn't attempted but a few threes. We entered the NCAA tournament and in our 2nd game he made 6 threes and won the game for us. He had worked for 18 months and he finally got the confidence to go for it.

I predict that is what happens with Collins. He is going to show up one game and hit multiple threes and really change his draft stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes sense. What a nightmare it would be for the other team if Collins and Dinos can both shoot threes. They wouldn't be able to leave them out there, leading to a ton of matchup issues.

I think Collins has 15 foot range, I'm not sure if he has 18 foot range we can rely on in games. It would be great if we could run some plays to get him elbow jumpers, especially against bigger teams.

Al Horford never made a three in his 3 seasons at Florida. Now he shoots them at a decent clip in the NBA. I'd think Collins will need to develop a similar game to Horford to be an effective NBA player.

Brice Johnson never attempted one at UNC. I'd bet anything he'll develop into a proficient three point shooter. His midrange game really improved and his shot looks nice. JC isn't as bouncy as Brice or as thick as Al was but definitely think he's got a place in the league. I liked the Taj Gibson comp.

Collins will gain range in the NBA - he's a 70% free throw shooter which, to me, indicates an ability to develop a solid longer-range jumper.

I think Collins has 15 foot range, I'm not sure if he has 18 foot range we can rely on in games. It would be great if we could run some plays to get him elbow jumpers, especially against bigger teams.

A consistent 15 footer, which I think he already has, and a scheme to match would also allow for him and Moore to play together more often.

A consistent 15 footer, which I think he already has, and a scheme to match would also allow for him and Moore to play together more often.

True. But Moore would need to develop a better post game for that to be reliable.

During our game against FSU, the announcers were talking up one of the FSU guys (maybe Bacon?). The gist was NBA scouts told him to expand his range before trying to make the leap to the next level. Could be a similar situation with Collins. If he does so, we certainly won't have him for four years.

Collins will be a lottery pick next year. I'm pretty sure of it. Crawford may be a late 1st.

Depends on how they develop the second half of the year. They both seem to be coming into their own.

Pretty damn good recruiting and player development if you get the 150th ranked player to a lottery pick in 3 years. Same with the 98th (and 16th ranked PG in the same class) to the first round.

Along with wrangor, I'm a bit concerned about Collins' defensive instincts. He has good block numbers, but doesn't show a natural aptitude in one-on-one post situations. Think that's the part of his game that can improve his stock the most. Fortunately, he's athletic enough to defend stretch 4's in the NBA, which is a big asset.

I think scouts will give him some slack on D.

JC picks up so many fouls in non defending situations that he almost can't afford to play defense. He picked up #3 against Carolina with his back turned to a guy that ran over his foot 8 seconds into the 2nd half. He picks up 1 a game fighting for position on offense down low, one on a nonsensical double foul against Carolina. He usually picks up one fighting for a board. And with DMs super conservative approach to his fouls, which actually makes a little sense because he picks up fouls when he's not even defending, he's lost on how aggressive to be on defense and I don't blame him. I almost cringe when he tries to play D because it's a 50/50 shot if the whistle blows regardless of what happens.

I don't disagree, but I still think improving his defensive positioning and fundamentals is the biggest thing he can do for his draft stock, more than adding 5 feet to his range.

Back