• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins is #2 in KP's All-ACC Ratings

Collins learning from LMA and playing with Kawhi would be an incredible consolation prize.

Can't imagine why he would go this year unless he's top 20 and if you're top 20 in this year's draft, it seems like you can easily make it up to the lottery in a class next year that's generally regarded to be weaker.

Can't imagine why he would go this year unless he's top 20 and if you're top 20 in this year's draft, it seems like you can easily make it up to the lottery in a class next year that's generally regarded to be weaker.
Eh, the money isn't much different between, say, pick #12 and pick #20 when you factor in the opportunity cost of staying in college another year.

If Collins is a lock first round pick, I would love for him to stay for his junior year, but if JC goes, Manning recruiting and developing an NBA player would be a long term plus for recruiting.

It's not about your first contract, it's about the last one. Also if you are picked 20+ in the draft it's more likely that you'll go to a better team.

As you can see from here- http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/06/2016-nba-rookie-salaries-contracts-first-round-picks.html -The difference in the first contract between #8 and #20 was about $5.75M. If he plays to his draft level, he'd make more than that for the extra year.

But, if he gets drafted by a team in TX or FL, he could save in taxes. It's not like he's going to get a lot of endorsements in his rookie year anyway.

Also, unless he has multiple guarantees from teams saying they will draft him in the first round, I'm not sure he should risk it.

Up until right now I was pretty confident that JC would be back for 1 more year, now I'm not so sure.

With the new NBA/NCAA declaration/withdrawal rules JC will 100% be declaring for the NBA after the season. The withdrawal date has been pushed back 10 days after the NBA combine til around late May, pushed back from middle of April. They're also now allowed up to one workout with each NBA team.

These rule changes are student-athlete friendly and good overall, but increase the chances JC really impresses during the combine or a private workout and gets a promise that prompts him to enter the 2017 NBA draft.

If JC goes, so does our #MOXIE. Gotta keep him on campus for one more year.

I'd be more worried if he wasn't so young or if Manning wasn't our coach. Dominate next year in a weaker class and top 5 is achievable.

If Collins leaves good for him. I think he stays but we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC will put his name in, workout for some teams, get feedback on what he needs to work on, come back next year and dominate and then go in the lottery next year.

playing well, but he is not ready. Needs to improve 10-15 foot shot and defense. he is a good off the ball shot blocker but gets backed down and pushed under the basket a lot one on one. Another year in the weight room and ACC play will really improve his draft stock. Also, since he will be a 4 in the NBA, needs to improve his handle.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. If he goes pro after this year it'd be because he got first round feedback at the combine. He then gets paid as a first rounder and his life is solely dedicated to basketball where he will improve by playing against better competition day in and day out. If he doesn't go pro, he'll likely continue to improve at Wake and bulk up before going pro a year later. Don't really see a clear downside between the two, but I'm also not someone sold on the "you can improve more in college than the NBA" camp at all.

He'll do whatever is best for him, which is the right move. Meanwhile, Wake will either get his services for another year or will have sent a 230th ranked, 3 star recruit to the NBA after two years under Danny Manning. Win-win.

JC will put his name in, workout for some teams, get feedback on what he needs to work on, come back next year and dominate and then go in the lottery next year.

Sounds good, until you realize not a single player in the draft express mock has anyone older than a sophomore going in the top 25, let alone the top 14.

I mean, if you're an NBA GM, and you can take either Giles or Collins, who are you taking?

Back