• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins is #2 in KP's All-ACC Ratings

I found this part of the article interesting:

Five seniors were drafted in the first round last year, three of whom went in the lottery. At this juncture, that looks all but impossible to repeat in 2017. There isn’t a senior currently ranked in the top 30 of the Top 100 prospects. Some of that will change as players announce they are returning to school, but there is no doubt that this has been an incredibly uninspiring season for upperclassmen. Among juniors, only North Carolina’s Justin Jackson is in the top 30.

Is the NBA ready to absorb all these teenagers?

There are currently 83 players under the age of 25 who are seeing less than 15 minutes per game on average – nearly three per NBA team. Some of these players will be out of the league next year, but many won’t because they have multiyear contracts. NBA teams will be hoping to draft players who can contribute next year but that isn’t realistic with the average age of the top 30 being just 19.4 years old.

This is the end result of teams drafting players at younger and younger ages, combined with the cap friendliness of rookie contracts. They allow the team control for up to four years at locked in pricing that makes the young players financially easy to keep around to see if they develop.

Most NBA rosters have three groups of players: the starters. The backups/role players. The "watched watchers." This last group is young guys who mostly watch games, but are watched intently in practice to see how they are developing. Are they worth keeping past year two of their rookie contract? Should they be sent to the D league for more playing time?

Good post, blue.

KenPom has his eye on Collins.

Is the second column percentage of total points?

Usage rate: % of possessions that end with him while he's on the floor. It appears we're going to him consistently on a third of possessions which would put him top 5 in the country over the course of a full season. And he's still putting up those offensive ratings.

Though there are no details here on the "how", what I've copy/pasted from http://kenpom.com/blog/individual-stats-primer/ puts some perspective on JC's stats. The tl;dr - they're remarkable.

Offensive rating (ORtg): A measure of personal offensive efficiency developed by Dean Oliver. The formula is very complicated, but accurate. For a detailed explanation, buy Basketball on Paper. Anything over 110 is good, and 120 is excellent for a player that is the workhorse on his team. The best I saw from last season was Utah State’s Spencer Nelson at 133.

Percentage of possessions used (%Poss): A measure of personal possessions used while the player is on the court. Simply assigns credit or blame to a player when his actions end a possession, either by missing a shot that isn’t rebounded by the offense or committing a turnover. 20% is average, and 25% indicates a go-to guy. 15% is a player with a limited role in the offense. Higher values do not indicate a player is better, merely that he is more involved in the offense. It’s almost impossible to get to 30% in the college game, although Vermont’s Taylor Coppenrath did so in 2004 and 2005. It is difficult to combine high possession usage with high offensive rating.

He's up to top 10 in kenpoms National POY as well as #2 in ACC behind Bonsie Colson (#9 national).

What makes that even more impressive is the fact that kenpoms system weights team performance heavily to the point where it's almost impossible to be first team if your team is outside the top 20. Thus you'll see 5 of the top 10 from Kansas, Baylor, Villanova, and gonzaga. The others are from Purdue, Wisconsin, st Mary's and Notre Dame.

The other thing hurting him is playing just over 25 minutes a game this year, though that's been over 28 in acc play. As both of those increase he'd move higher. In the mean time, he's second in offensive rating among any player in the country that plays at least 40% of minutes and has a usage rate over 28% behind Jock Landale of St Mary's and I tend to think those ratios are more impressive in the ACC than the WCC but maybe that's just me.

yeah, today he had 31 and 15 against a trio of 5 star recruits, one of whom is 23 years old.

So I actually watched an NBA game the other day, and yeah, those guys are all huge and can really move. Not a lot of dumping into the post and making moves (was watching Cavs and Pacers) so I understand a bit why the potential of Giles could be valued hire* than the potential of JC. But I'd still take production and effort over potential and softness.

*yikes

Last edited:
Maybe Collins really likes the tenders and fries in Benson.

Back