• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins is #2 in KP's All-ACC Ratings

Currently, JC is 35th in this year's draft per DraftExpress. In front of him are:

1. Three seniors (have to go pro/leave college) (3 total)
2. Eight freshmen, one sophomore, and one international player in the top ten (all generally expected to go pro) (13 total)
3. Another freshman and three international picks in the lottery (again, likely all expected to go pro) (17 total)
4. Six freshmen not in the lottery (23 total)
5. Six sophomores not in the lottery (29 total)
6. Three juniors not in the lottery (32 total)
7. Two international players not in the lottery (34 total)

Tough to say how may of these 34 will actually go pro. I would think that any sophomores or juniors not in the lottery would return since this class is so stacked with freshmen, but I haven't given a strong look to the 2018 draft class to know if it will be stronger or not. I suspect it won't be because this year is ridiculously loaded on talented freshmen.

I think it's reasonable to believe that if Collins returns for another year that he would be slated around 15-20 in next year's draft and with a couple good games against top-tier teams would make it into the lottery.

8 seconds into the 2nd half:

Depends on how they develop the second half of the year. They both seem to be coming into their own.

Pretty damn good recruiting and player development if you get the 150th ranked player to a lottery pick in 3 years. Same with the 98th (and 16th ranked PG in the same class) to the first round.

I think Moore has a good chance to catch on at the next level if he works hard.

I also don't think everyone realizes how young JC is for his class. Age comparison to some current lotto freshmen:

1 month older than Lonzo Ball
2 months older than Dennis Smith
4 months younger than Josh Jackson
3 months older than De'Aaron Fox
1 week older than Jonathan Isaac
8 months younger than Lauri Markkanen

Last edited:
This year's draft, apparently, is considered to be very deep. Unless JC is a rock solid 1st rounder it wouldn't make sense for him to leave. Of course if he goes in the 1st round, I think we'll be ok by the end of the year. That being said a year of development he could approach the lottery, especially if the draft is shallower.

When does the new collective bargaining agreement begin? NBA teams will get to keep more players on the roster so that could mean more guys stay in the draft that first year or two.

I think he's not going to turn pro this year without a monster back half. Next year though all bets are off.

Collins will be a lottery pick next year. I'm pretty sure of it. Crawford may be a late 1st.

It's possible for sure. The Taj Gibson comp is a pretty good one. Dec not but not spectacular defender with a slightly undersized but athletic post game.

All the talk about who is coming out this year doesn't take into account that a whole new crop of freshman, international players, and even sophomores that took a leap. Collins has to continue to improve. He can and I expect him to but it isn't guaranteed. It's hard to get drafted in the lottery.

I don't see Crawford leaving early personally. Collins has a chance but I think it is 50/50 at this point. If he starts knocking down jump shots with consistency and improves his defense without fouling then he would move up significantly.

Taj is a pretty good defender. Won Pac-10 defensive player of the year. I think JC has the tools to be a good defender.

JC solid game, but 4 fouls in the 2nd half. Still lots to learn.

Why do people think his range is an issue? I think his 10-15 foot shot is pretty unique for a guy his size at Wake. If you mean he doesn't take threes then I understand, but he can step out and hit a jump shot when he needs to.
It is an issue for the NBA

For large stretches of both today's game and the Miami game, Collins was essentially unguardable, and he's still figuring it all out. We haven't had a player like him in a long time. If he had played the way he has this week against UNC (and some of that wasn't his fault), that is a game we would have won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yurt was the smallest 7 footer I've ever seen.

Prediction: he'll get screwed out of some recognition at year end.

For large stretches of both today's game and the Miami game, Collins was essentially unguardable, and he's still figuring it all out. We haven't had a player like him in a long time. If he had played the way he has this week against UNC (and some of that wasn't his fault), that is a game we would have won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the team makes a commitment to get him the ball on time he is unstoppable.

Back