• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch Thread Credibility Watch

Well...

The Deacs are coming off of a convincing win vs. Miami. Headed into a weekend game at NC State. ESPN is projecting we might make the NCAA Tournament. John Collins is developing into an All-ACC player.

We are 18 games in to the season and already have some quality wins. I want to give the DM Credibility Watch thread the benefit of the doubt but after this week, I am putting its credibility on watch.

This post just gave me a major clue.we gonna be good again .

I don't really get the need for people to constantly take a position as soon as possible and just refuse to change it.

Who gives a damn if you are right or wrong. I think Manning is beginning to demonstrate that he is a competent coach, and is pretty good at player development. He has his deficiencies and hopefully they are remedied.

Isn't that the position you took as soon as possible and have refused to change?

Isn't that the position you took as soon as possible and have refused to change?

What position have I taken?

I'm usually pretty open to taking more data points as they come along and applying it to my view on most things.

I don't really get the need for people to constantly take a position as soon as possible and just refuse to change it.

Who gives a damn if you are right or wrong. I think Manning is beginning to demonstrate that he is a competent coach, and is pretty good at player development. He has his deficiencies and hopefully they are remedied.

This position.

What part of that do you disagree with? I based that assessment on what I've seen on the court.

My initial assessment right after the hire:

"Overall I would put this hire at a B-Minus. It's not the home run hire that a lot of people thought it would be, but I think most will be pleased with the five year results of Manning. I am a little bit more optimistic than most, but I think he can lead us into a perennial top 25 team again and get us back to where we were before the [name redacted]-Era. Worst case he struggles to recruit the type of talent necessary to compete in the ACC and Wake continues along the path that they are on, resulting in a 7-8 year slump for Wake basketball."

My concern is his lack of head coaching experience. While serving as an assistance under Bill Self is a very good way to begin your coaching career, I am still not sold on the fact that he has the head coaching thing figured out yet. Winning a C-USA championship in your second year is a very good job, but overall he was 38-29 in two years. Hopefully time will yield him to be a great leader, but his body of work is an "incomplete" so far.

I also thought that 20 wins was a reasonable expectation in his first season (when we still had our full roster, so Can and Moto), but I was clearly wrong there.

no nuance with this, can we all agree to this big if, if this team makes the NCAA tournament then this season was an unmitigated success for the coach and program. that should be 100% consensus right?

What part of that do you disagree with? I based that assessment on what I've seen on the court.

The part where you don't think you're doing the same thing you accuse others of doing.

Start a new thread then.

No, you now know though that

Colbert_Notice.jpg

no nuance with this, can we all agree to this big if, if this team makes the NCAA tournament then this season was an unmitigated success for the coach and program. that should be 100% consensus right?

Definitely.

Mediocrity in sports is measured by wins and losses, not by margin of victory / loss and strength of schedule.

That seems like a "the advanced statistics that have us at #40 are inaccurate" argument. That's fine, I just haven't seen anyone willing to make that argument.

If your view is "teams should be judged solely on wins and losses," I disagree with you but am not going to argue with you or call you unreasonable.

If your view involves more nuance than that, such that you agree Duke is clearly better than College of Charleston despite similar W-L records, then I'd love to know what other factors you consider.

Does Kenpom consider blowing leads or bad rotations or bad turnovers? Close losses are gonna look better in Kenpom than they'll feel to fans.

You are referring to two entirely separate types/definitions of nuance.

What Townie said.

Advanced Statistics are nuanced by default.

But there is also a nuanced take that doesn't devolve entirely into "Kenpom is all that matters." If we go 17-13 and have a Kenpom in the 30s but miss the tournament I'm not going to pretend the season was a success by Wake Forest standards.

But in evaluating Manning's progress toward where we need to be I'm not going to hung up on wins and losses. I think Kenpom is a far more useful predictor.

At some point, obviously, Manning has to win something, regardless of our Kenpom ranking. FWIW I think that some point is next year. I expect us to be top 25 KP and to get there these close losses will necessarily turn into close wins.

Back