• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bracketology 2017

Yeah in 98 we finished 7-9 and got passed over for 6-10 FSU. I think FSU had multiple top 10 victories and a similar RPI though.

FSU had a very impressive wins record and then very similar to what Syracuse did last year, FSU went on to advance to at least the Sweet 16 that year, showing that they were a deserving team [didn't hurt that their AD Dave Hart was on the committee either that year]

In sort of the Tim Duncan senior year dilemma, we need to be prepared to handle what happens when a team figures out how to effectively double team John Collins in the low post, Stanford-style.

Will Arians et al. be able to step up and lead us to victory?

Right now, Collins is carrying us, obviously.

Collins plays 25 minutes a game. Duncan played about every minute. As important as Collins is, we play quite a bit without him now.

Interestingly, the most minutes that Doral Moore has played all year is 15. That is his season high, and he has hit it once or twice. Mostly, he is playing between 6-12 minutes per game.

On the flip side, the LEAST minutes Brandon has played is 15 against Northwestern. We have let him play through his early mistakes and poor shooting.

FSU had a very impressive wins record and then very similar to what Syracuse did last year, FSU went on to advance to at least the Sweet 16 that year, showing that they were a deserving team [didn't hurt that their AD Dave Hart was on the committee either that year]

Round of 32. Not Sweet 16.

I know it's a small thing, but it really irritates me when people can easily look something up and just refuse to.

It literally takes 10 seconds to just type in a new tab how far FSU got in the NCAA Tournament in any given year.

I know it's a small thing, but it really irritates me when people can easily look something up and just refuse to.

It literally takes 10 seconds to just type in a new tab how far FSU got in the NCAA Tournament in any given year.

The non-Google generation.

you and I both know that reff's facts are typically very alternative in nature.

In sort of the Tim Duncan senior year dilemma, we need to be prepared to handle what happens when a team figures out how to effectively double team John Collins in the low post, Stanford-style.

Will Arians et al. be able to step up and lead us to victory?

Right now, Collins is carrying us, obviously.

To some extent Dinos has been keeping this from happening. He has been playing down low as a second big quite a bit. Yes, he still steps to the corner, but he has done a lot more scoring from the blocks. He is probably enough to make teams pay for double teaming Collins too much.

Only bubble game of note today is Kansas State at home against Kansas. K-State just beat Baylor on the road, and should solidly be in the tourney. They have no losses outside the top 50, two wins against the top 10 (West Virginia, Baylor), and another top 25 win (Oklahoma State).

Kansas State almost pulled off the upset last night. They are playing like a tournament team.

Ish nailed it exactly. Have to beat VT and PITT. If we get one additional win, we'll be sweating and likely need an ACCT tourney win. Win 2 others and we're in.

Full slate of Tuesday games that have bubble implications. Obviously a Wake win at Notre Dame would go a long way to pushing/keeping us onto the right side of the bubble.

Other action includes -

Syracuse (15-9, 7-4, RPI 72, KP 47) at Clemson (13-9, 3-7, RPI 45, KP 38) - Cuse is currently projected anywhere between a 10 seed and one of the first eight out. Clemp is between a 9 and 11 seed. A big game for both teams, particularly a Clemson team that needs to start righting the ship.
Illinois State (19-5, 11-1, RPI 31, KP 48) at Drake - ISU is fighting for a bubble spot if they can't take down Wichita State in the MVC tournament. Currently projected as a 12-seed.
Dayton (17-5, 8-2, RPI 32, KP 31) vs. Saint Joseph's - Dayton is projected as an 8/9 seed, and they don't have many difficult games down the stretch. Should make the dance.
Arkansas (17-6, 6-4, RPI 36, KP 53) vs. Vanderbilt - Projected between a 9-seed and on the first four out. The loss at Missouri hurts a ton, but they still have a decent shot at making the tourney.
Iowa State (14-8, 6-4, RPI 40, KP 26) at Texas - Cyclones are projected as a 7-to-9 seed. They should be able to take care of Texas on the road.
Texas Tech (16-7, 4-6, RPI 90, KP 42) at TCU (16-7, 5-5, RPI 42, KP 32) - TCU looks like a 10 or 11 seed right now, and the Red Raiders are outside the bubble.
Michigan State (14-9, 6-4, RPI 48, KP 49) at Michigan (14-9, 4-6, RPI 79, KP 40) - Spartans are currently an 8-10 seed, and the Wolverines are on the outside looking in. Winning at home would be a step in the right direction for Michigan.
Marquette (15-8, 6-5, RPI 64, KP 34) vs. #22 Butler - Marquette is a 9/10 seed. They're favored by 1.5, and a win would put them solidly in the field.
Georgia Tech (13-10, RPI 75, KP 78) vs. Tusculum - Yellow Jackets are generally seen as one of the first four out, and this game won't add to their resume at all. Looks like Pastner scheduled this game simply to avoid a "bye week"

Teams on the outside that need a lot of help -
Georgia (13-10, 4-6, RPI 54, KP 50) vs. #17 Florida
Georgetown (13-11, 4-7, RPI 66, KP 59) at #2 Villanova
Illinois (13-11, 3-8, RPI 71, KP 80) at Northwestern
Alabama (13-9, 6-4, RPI 77, KP 65) at #19 South Carolina
Memphis (17-7, 7-4, RPI 85, KP 85) vs. Tulsa
Auburn (15-8, 4-6, RPI 63, KP 79) vs. Mississippi State

Here's an interesting question, let's say ELC's situation comes to fruition: Wake ends at 19-14. The emphasis here from ELC seems to be on the 14 losses, so let's replace the Xavier and Northwestern games with Gardner Webb and Sam Houston State (200th and 201st ranked teams in the country). Wake then would be 21-12 with an SOS about 15-30 spots worse. By your logic, ELC, would Wake be in the tournament? If it is, then why should anyone play a very challenging schedule?

LOL. But we didn't play GW or SHS.

My point was that, yes, the 14 wins is not a good look (I think Georgia got an at-large bid with that many losses one year after a deep SEC tournament run), but the main thing is we haven't beaten anybody that is good this year. All those games against quality opponents have no point if you can't dig up a quality win among the bunch. If you're going to say "But we've played a tough schedule!" you also have to acknowledge that we've had more opportunities to notch a quality win than most, and we have failed at every opportunity.

If you're going to say "But we've played a tough schedule!" you also have to acknowledge that we've had more opportunities to notch a quality win than most, and we have failed at every opportunity.

Dude, we took down UTEP on a neutral court.

Ish nailed it exactly. Have to beat VT and PITT. If we get one additional win, we'll be sweating and likely need an ACCT tourney win. Win 2 others and we're in.

State, Clemon, VT, PITT... If we lost one of those, then we swap that loss by beating Louisville. Book your tickets, we going dancing.

That being said, I doubt we beat ND tonight. Here's to being CreamyWrongness!

LOL. But we didn't play GW or SHS.

Yeah that's the point of a hypothetical - would your opinion be different on this Wake team if instead of playing (and losing) to Xavier and Northwestern, we had scheduled two relative patsies at home and won?

Back