• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bracketology 2017

I hate to hear that type of response but understand it's based on years of frustration. You gotta believe we can turn this thing around! Keep your head up!

Not me, YOU

Last edited:
Last night was exactly what was "supposed" to happen. It didn't help us or hurt us other than taking away another opportunity to get a good win. We're in the same spot we were in before the game.

That Louisville game is going to be as much of a must win as possible.

I still believe Wake is going to beat State, Pitt, Clemson & then win at VT to go 9-9. Louisville would be great, but if it plays out like I expect then that would just take any pressure off of the final game @ VT.

Last night was exactly what was "supposed" to happen. It didn't help us or hurt us other than taking away another opportunity to get a good win. We're in the same spot we were in before the game.

Correct. As we continue to lose games we're supposed to lose, however, the chances for getting that marquee win obviously diminish. We now have three chances left to get a win against a lock NCCAT team.

Odds are that wake will beat State, Pitt and either Clemson/VT to get to 8-10 in the ACC for the season. At that point I think it'll come down to what they do in the ACC tournament. If they lose to either state or Pitt then the season is probably over. Either way, if they get to 8-10 I think it comes down to the tourney, if they go 9-9 or 10-8 then they'll be in the dance no matter the ACC tournament result (my assumption is that they will have beaten 1 or 2 teams to get to 9-9 or 10-8 that are ranked pretty high to solidify their resume).

My take - I don't feel good without one or two marquee wins if we finish 17-13 (8-10) before the ACC tournament. Even if we pick up a win in the tournament without beating a quality opponent, I don't feel good. I've read all the stuff on here about no team being left out with an RPI or KP projection as high as we are, but I don't like it. I feel better about us making history as the first team left out with such a solid RPI and KP projection than sneaking into the dance with no top 25 wins.

Who knows! Hoping we're in it, gotta take care of State first.

Correct. As we continue to lose games we're supposed to lose, however, the chances for getting that marquee win obviously diminish. We now have three chances left to get a win against a lock NCCAT team.

Not to mention the chance we lose a game we're supposed to win.

I can't remember a more maddening consistent Wake basketball team.

What's more maddening is if Collins leaves without ever having played in the NCAAT. :mad:

It's tough to watch us blow leads in the second half, but would people rather us just lose each ten minute segment by two and end up with the same result?

I personally don't think this team has the horses to be a top 15 team. We can choose to criticize Manning for not being able to overcome that in the last 10 minutes of games or be impressed that he has a team with middling talent after our top 3 and a giant hole at SF playing like a top 15 team for 3/4 of the game.

I choose the latter and am happy that we are a borderline top 30 team with about a 50/50 chance of making the tournament in year 3 of a major rebuild.

I choose the latter and am happy that we are a borderline top 30 team with about a 50/50 chance of making the tournament in year 3 of a major rebuild.

And is missing its entire senior scholarship class*

Last edited:
What is the win expectancy for the rest of the year? 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's more maddening is if Collins leaves without ever having played in the NCAAT. :mad:

I certainly wouldn't blame him if he went but he could certainly use another year of seasoning. Not saying it means his draft stock goes up or he gets picked higher, but he has a lot to learn defensively.

It's tough to watch us blow leads in the second half, but would people rather us just lose each ten minute segment by two and end up with the same result?

I personally don't think this team has the horses to be a top 15 team. We can choose to criticize Manning for not being able to overcome that in the last 10 minutes of games or be impressed that he has a team with middling talent after our top 3 and a giant hole at SF playing like a top 15 team for 3/4 of the game.

Generally I agree with you. But when you lose in a similar fashion time after time, it stings. Getting over the hump once against a better team is not such a foreign idea. Even [Redacted] had a few upsets. Winning a game against a favorite does not mean we are or should be a top 15 team. But when you have a 95%+ chance to win in several games and it doesn't happen, yeah some fans are going to be bitter.

Generally I agree with you. But when you lose in a similar fashion time after time, it stings. Getting over the hump once against a better team is not such a foreign idea. Even [Redacted] had a few upsets. Winning a game against a favorite does not mean we are or should be a top 15 team. But when you have a 95%+ chance to win in several games and it doesn't happen, yeah some fans are going to be bitter.

If we won all of the games we have lost in a similar fashion we would be a top 10 team. If we won 3 of the 7 we would be top 25. I'd obviously like to break through and win one of these games where we are an underdog with a second half lead, but if we don't we still have a decent shot at making the tournament.

If you prefer watching a sub-100 team with a super soft schedule that occasionally pulls off some upsets instead of a top 35 team that plays exactly to rank every game then maybe Wake is no longer the program for you.

Maybe we are saving those breakthroughs for the tourney. I know that is not our usual way of doing things, but is it wrong to have hope?

Maybe we are saving those breakthroughs for the tourney. I know that is not our usual way of doing things, but is it wrong to have hope?

I would sacrifice one breakthrough now to make sure we get in the tourney!

You have been caught expressing a feeling of hope regarding WFU athletics. Please turn in your WFU fan card immediately.

Back