• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bracketology 2017

I agree... with our computer rankings, Wake would likely be favored in a 7/10 matchup.

No worries guys. I'm just excited we are relevant again and I find it interesting to dig into.

Sunday's games -

Northwestern (18-6, 7-4, RPI 40, KP 32) at #7 Wisconsin - Losing at home against Illinois on Tuesday hurt the Wildcats, but they still should be able to safely get into the dance. They'll be favored in four of their last seven, and if they make it to 10-8 they should be a lock for their first-ever NCAA Tournament.

Virginia Tech (16-7, 5-6, RPI 45, KP 54) vs. #12 Virginia - The Hokies are currently one of the last-eight teams in the field. They're seven-point dogs at home, but a win would put them solidly into the field. They mostly have toss-up games down the stretch, so the season finale against Wake on March 4th might determine if they get into the field (for both teams).

Wichita State (22-4, 12-1, RPI 55, KP 16) at Loyola-Chicago - The Shockers are projected as a 9-seed by Lunardi, so are relatively comfortably in the tournament. They have won seven straight, but a loss today would certainly hurt as Loyola has a RPI of 152. They're the favorites to win the MVC tournament, but barring a bad loss or two down the stretch they should also secure an at-large bid.

Michigan (15-9, 5-6, RPI 73, KP 31) at Indiana (15-10, 5-7, RPI 78, KP 42) - Match-up of two fellow bubble teams that both need a W. Lunardi has Indiana as one of the last four in, and has Michigan as one of the "next four out". Indiana doesn't have a good win in the conference yet. They have two solid wins (Kansas to start the year and UNC in the ACC-Big 10 Challenge), but both came in November and they have ugly losses of Fort Wayne (RPI 160) and Nebraska (RPI 83)... Michigan just picked up a nice win against Michigan State, beat Indiana in Ann Arbor in January, and also beat SMU and Marquette on a neutral floor. They have a decent resume, but will only be favored in two of their last seven games. A win today will go a long way toward an at-large bid.

Memphis (18-7, 8-4, RPI 86, KP 76) vs. Temple - The Tigers have wins vs. South Carolina and @ Houston, but also have losses against Temple (RPI 94) and Tulsa (RPI 117). They are off the bubble right now, and a loss today would sink their hopes. Even if they win today and Thursday @ Connecticut, they may need to win three of their final four to get back on the bubble (@ Cincinnati, vs. Houston, vs. Tulane, @ SMU).

Tuesday night is so big because we can effectively knock Clemson out and move in.

Of the Last Four In -Seton Hall is likely to lose 4 more games. TN will probably lose at least two more games in a weak SEC.

Now that we've finished the sweep of State, it would be really nice if they'd win a couple of games and get back in the RPI top 100. They're currently sitting at 102 on RealTimeRPI, which leaves us with only 5 top-100 wins (although Miami is still clinging to the top 50)

No love from Dino at halftime of the Cavs-Hokies game. Ga Tech is out because of their RPI and the Deacs are out because of their record against Top 50.

No love from Dino at halftime of the Cavs-Hokies game. Ga Tech is out because of their RPI and the Deacs are out because of their record against Top 50.

everyone says I'm crazy to think that we could go 9-9 and not make it because of so few quality wins, they quote stuff like top 50 RPI always go and so on, sounds like Dino agrees. I hope we're both wrong or we beat somebody somewhere along the way

Gotta be happy for Va. Tech, hope we get at least one like that this year against a good team. Congrats to those guys, great win!

everyone says I'm crazy to think that we could go 9-9 and not make it because of so few quality wins, they quote stuff like top 50 RPI always go and so on, sounds like Dino agrees. I hope we're both wrong or we beat somebody somewhere along the way

Much like yourself, Dino knocks jack shit about the subject matter

Mixed day for the Deacs.

The Northwestern win makes them a near-lock and boosts Wake's SOS.

The Indiana loss moves them out of the tournament field and onto the wrong side of the bubble. They may be replaced with Michigan, though Wake likely has a slight leg up on the Wolverines.

The Memphis loss takes them completely out of consideration.

Wichita State win is a non-issue.

Virginia Tech win hurts. It pushes the Hokies resume undoubtedly better than Wake's, moves them a 1/2 game ahead in the ACC standings, and gives them their second marquee win of the season. Was hoping for the Cavaliers to pull it out in OT/2OT.

To go 9-9 we would need at least one more Top 50 win. If we went 9-9 with losses to UL and Duke and then lost to Miami in the 8/9 game we would be 18-13, RPI 33, SOS 11, 2-11 vs. Top 50, 8-13 vs. Top 100. We aren't missing the tournament with that resume.

VT really needed the win. Their +300 non-conf SOS is gonna hang like an albatross around their discussions. Pretty amazing Wake and VT play in the same conference yet Wake's SOS is in the teens while VT is like 75.

Unlike Wake, they have no shot unless they go .500 in conference, IMO

Mixed day for the Deacs.

The Northwestern win makes them a near-lock and boosts Wake's SOS.

The Indiana loss moves them out of the tournament field and onto the wrong side of the bubble. They may be replaced with Michigan, though Wake likely has a slight leg up on the Wolverines.

The Memphis loss takes them completely out of consideration.

Wichita State win is a non-issue.

Virginia Tech win hurts. It pushes the Hokies resume undoubtedly better than Wake's, moves them a 1/2 game ahead in the ACC standings, and gives them their second marquee win of the season. Was hoping for the Cavaliers to pull it out in OT/2OT.

If it comes down to Wake or VT for the last bubble spot I think the head to head matchup will be the deciding factor.

Back