• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Are you using Rank By Offers? That site is way off on almost all of the info that i've looked at. I like how you guys class is coming into shape.

247 composite is my go-to, but I'll check out RBO. Based on rankings alone, it's hard to be to enthused about the class.

However, it does seem apparent that Clawson and co have an eye for talent, and quite a few of our players do appear to be under-ranked based on stats/film.

247 composite is my go-to, but I'll check out RBO. Based on rankings alone, it's hard to be to enthused about the class.

However, it does seem apparent that Clawson and co have an eye for talent, and quite a few of our players do appear to be under-ranked based on stats/film.

RBO stats (Wake's class each year):

2013: 60th, avg. 404 pts
2014: 48th, avg. 469 pts
2015: 50th, avg. 465 pts
2016: 53rd, avg. 382 pts
2017: 64th, avg. 355 pts
2018: 46th, avg. 317 pts

Take from that what you will. Lower numbers mean less-heralded players (whether under-heralded or adequately-heralded). I'll join with the group saying that so far I've been impressed with the staff's eye for talent. And, the 2018 rankings could change significantly if our guys who committed so early pick up additional offers.

Got you. Was just wondering what you were using. I like the athletes that Clawson has shown capable of bringing in for you guys at DB and LB. Looks like you guys have those guys coming in again was my observation.

RB Mataeo durant with 8 crystal balls to duke. As above, slated to announce on July 8th. With Whatley to GT and steward down to VT and USF, durant appears to be the only top priority RB I've seen us go after. Not looking good, but who knows.

I don't know how important RB is in this class. I know having at least one per class is nice but we have carney, colburn, Beal, Byrd for the foreseeable future. Getting a big time running back is probably difficult when you have the position near locked down for three years.

I hope that Durant chooses us. If not, I'll wish him good luck (but not against us). I found a page on the 24/7 site that will show that's it's more important what they do at Wake then what they did in HS. The list is full of "never dids", "haven't yets", and "never showns". http://wakeforest.247sports.com/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruits

Good point.
That list is interesting. Roughly half is out top 20 recruits contributed little or nothing.

I think that's because many of those top 20 are recruits from the incoming class. Several others were freshman last year and were expected to redshirt. But I see the your points that rankings don't mean everything. But they mean a lot and typically teams with high ranked classes do better. Players with more P5 offers also usually perform better. Not always, but usually. I know clawson has a great eye for talent. He has definitely shown that, but it would be nice to win of few of these in-state battles against comparable schools like Duke and state

DE prospect devontae mccrae committed to NC state today. We were considered the leader by some articles.

Interested to see how that impacts the NCSU DL recruiting. We are taking 4 and McCrae will be a DT for us. We are supposed leaders or in the lead 2-3 for Alim McNeil and a big DT out of Mallard Creek so it will be interesting to see if this moves impacts either of those guys.

Good point.
That list is interesting. Roughly half is out top 20 recruits contributed little or nothing.

I'm seeing a lot less contribution than that on my grading curve.

I mean it's pretty silly to not be a little concerned that we haven't capitalized on our momentum in this class so far. Zero top 600 recruits, and zero top 50 players at their position, other than Hartman at 25.

Meanwhile, Vandy has 6 players in the top 600, Duke 4, and Northwestern 6.

The momentum of winning 7 games and beating Temple in a bowl? To be honest, that probably doesn't move the needle a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. Kids are still going to pick Wake for the same reasons they always have (small school, good academics, nice blend of ACC/education). If we can sustain a high level of success over several seasons, then you can capitalize on that momentum.

I also disagree that that this class is disappointing. It may be small, but I think it's for some real high end talent at the top. Hartman, Brown, Edwards, and Woulard have star potential IMO.

Also, recruiting rankings don't really matter once you get outside the top 250... the recruiting services see very few of the three stars in live action, they give preferential treatment to larger schools with more subscribers, and most of them are not really qualified to be evaluating and projecting talent in the first place. Admittedly it's fun to keep track of it, but for a school like Wake, those guys just aren't accurate enough for it to matter. I do generally agree that I'd prefer to see us offer guys who have been offered by other P5 schools, but as has been said on this thread many times, Claw and his staff have shown they have an eye for talent and they've earned my trust. I think this will end up being a really good class for us.

Wake's 2018 football recruiting class is the worst class in the ACC based on the average rank of each ACC school's commitments on 247.

Back