• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Happy Teddy Valentine's Day!

I don't understand him or his antics at all. How the hell do college coaches or league officials tolerate him. After the Mick Cronin incident he should have been banned. He is totally unprofessional. Even announcers call out his act. I'm sure there are tons of younger people that would make great refs. Why does this embarrassment continue?

As soon as the game came on and they said Teddy TV was officiating I knew it was going to be a disaster. He has been a ref for what, 25-30 years? He has got to be ready to hang it up. The hate for him by Indiana fans is epic. He got booted from being a Big 10 ref and now the ACC has to put up with him? Is that right, or is he reffing in the ACC just a little these days and we just got unlucky to get him away from home on Valentine's Day?

This is an excellent question. A better question is why was Valentine assigned to both our home and away games against Clemson this year? I don't understand why the league would use the same official at both venues? Just seems like the official is likely to come to the second game with some preconceived opinions about how the teams matchup against each other. I would also like to know how many Wake games Valentine has officiated this season and how many Duke games he has officiated. All that being said, we didn't lose because of officiating. We lost because we just aren't that good and we play no defense.

Edited. Wasn't thinking straight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Over and back on Clemson was a very easy call as well. Clemson clearly touched the ball on their side of the court and then gathered the ball on the other. I think he announcers even made a comment "I guess they aren't going to call that backcourt"

That's not OAB because the team on offense didn't establish control in the front court yet after inbounding the ball (if we're referring to the same play near the end of the game).

Over and back on Clemson was a very easy call as well. Clemson clearly touched the ball on their side of the court and then gathered the ball on the other. I think he announcers even made a comment "I guess they aren't going to call that backcourt"

Definitely not an over and back. Just because you touch it right there does not mean you possess it in the front court. As Rafi said, it has to be possessed then go into the backcourt, then be touched first by the offense to be a violation.

Let me give a couple of scenarios that are clearly misunderstood by fans and coaches:

1-shot taken and the "Carolina" tap out done by the offense and it hits the hand of one of their guys at the top of the key and goes into the backcourt where they run it down first, grab it and start dribbling back into the front court. No B/C because it was tapped on the rebound and not possessed, it was also tipped at the top of the key & not possessed so they can dribble it back into frontcourt. Not positive about shot clock rules but definitely a new shot clock if ball hit the rim and s/c may not even start over on a new 30 for offense until possessed in backcourt.

2-Throw-in from front court under the basket or from the sideline. Hits offense in the hand at the top of the key but not possessed and goes into the b/c where offense grabs it and starts to dribble back on offense. Shot clock would have stayed where it was and begun on the touch at the top of the key if just after a normal type throw-in and no b/c violation.

3-offense is dribbling in the front court but near the center circle. Defender swipes at the basketball without fouling and knocks the ball off the leg of the offense, causing the ball to go into the b/c. If the offense is the first to touch the ball in the b/c, that IS a violation. Offense is deemed to have caused the ball to have gone into the b/c because they were the last to touch it in the front court, even though the defense is the one that hit it. This happens quite a lot and coaches & fans never understand that rule.

The first thing I ever learned about T'ing somebody up is to point at the floor towards the player and do not escalate the situation. Apparently Teddy never learned that, doesn't care, or wants it to be about him. That's exactly how you escalate something like that.

The first thing I ever learned about T'ing somebody up is to point at the floor towards the player and do not escalate the situation. Apparently Teddy never learned that, doesn't care, or wants it to be about him. That's exactly how you escalate something like that.

The correct answer is D - all of above

Exactly! With what he did out there I thought he shot about 8 T's to different folks who were MF'ing each other. He ran out of bullets the first time, stopped then reloaded and came back with another holster full. Thought he might have broken a few fingers.

Back