• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2017-Regional Champs! On to Supers!

The crazy thing is, despite the offensive output we've been putting up, we've still had plenty of games where we've left a lot of runners on base. Need to continue to get better with the situational hitting as the season goes along but these guys are fun to watch.

One time today we were ahead 8-1 and had only 3 hits. But Duke had 4 errors at that point, IIRC.

Really good teams can win in a variety of ways, especially in baseball. Let's hope this team is developing that attribute. The Sunday game against Duke shows we can get it done even when the bats aren't getting hits. I like how our offense puts pressure on the other team even if we aren't getting hits. Stu is climbing up draft boards. This is gonna be a fun ride. Any updates on rankings? We should be close.

Atlantic

Louisville 6-0-0 1.00 19-0-0 1.00
Clemson 5-1-0 .833 16-4-0 .800
Wake Forest 4-2-0 .667 15-6-0 .714
Florida State 3-3-0 .500 14-7-0 .667
NC State 3-3-0 .500 12-9-0 .571
Notre Dame 2-4-0 .333 6-12-0 .333
Boston College 1-5-0 .167 6-11-0 .353

Coastal

North Carolina 3-2-0 .600 13-5-0 .722
Virginia Tech 3-3-0 .500 13-9-0 .591
Duke 3-3-0 .500 11-11-0 .500
Miami 3-3-0 .500 9-11-0 .450
Virginia 2-3-0 .400 15-3-0 .833
Georgia Tech 2-4-0 .333 12-6-0 .667
Pittsburgh 1-5-0 .167 8-9-0 .471

Last edited:
Going to the game tomorrow in uptown Charlotte. Hoping the PM storms stay away. Anyone know who's scheduled to start for the Deacs on the mound?

In the latest Baseball America poll:

1. L'ville
6. Clemson
10. UNC
14. FSU (they were preseason #1)
19. UVA

WF not ranked.

Baseball America's reasoning

Nate (Winston-Salem, NC): Where's Wake? We won series against Coastal Carolina and NC State while both were still ranked, we just won another series against Duke to improve to 4-2 in the ACC, and we're top 10 nationally in a bunch of offensive categories. Where's the disconnect?

Teddy Cahill: Wake Forest is another team that has gotten heavily discussed. Basically, it’s that losing weekend on opening weekend keeping the Deacs out. The two losses to Houston are especially tough when you stack up Wake and UH, which is also trying to break into the Top 25. Also, Coastal and NC State falling out of the rankings isn’t helping Wake. Those are still quality wins, but maybe not as good as they appeared to be at the time. Wake’s a solid team though. Looking forward to seeing how they do against Georgia Tech this weekend.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/top-25-chat-march-20-baseball-rankings

Hey Baseball America :fu:

Wake Forest at 4-2-0 .667 (ACC) 15-6-0 .714 should be ranked already.

That's a fair assessment overall, but also, both teams (especially State) would possibly be ranked if we hadn't beaten them, so somewhat fluky rationale there.

d1baseball.com comments regarding WF

Comment From Jordan
Where is Southern Miss sitting in your books? What kept them out this week. I’m sure it was tough this week. Also what is your thought on Southern Miss as a whole?

Kendall Rogers:
Jordan — Southern Miss was the next team on our list to be put in the Top 25 this week, along with Wake Forest. That is an incredibly loud weekend going on the road and doing that against a very solid Louisiana Tech club. I think the most noticeable thing for me is that Southern Miss’s pitching continues to improve — they were able to tame a very good La Tech lineup for much of the weekend. USM is absolutely trending in the right direction.

Comment From Kim Gregory
Aaron, nice meeting you in Durham on Saturday. Hope to see you in Winston-Salem soon. WF knocking on the door of that Top 25 list! #GoDeacs

Aaron Fitt:
Good to meet you too — and yes, the Deacs are right there on the cusp of our rankings, along with Southern Miss, Arkansas, Oregon and Mercer, I’d say. Lots of worthy teams right now, just not enough spots. But I really do like Wake Forest — that’s a no-doubt regional team for me, and I think they’re good enough to make some real noise in the postseason.

https://d1baseball.com/chats/d1baseballs-weekly-chat-march-20/

Back